Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries

Pop Century Resort

I stayed at the Pop on my most recent visit to the mouse and I absolutely loved this resort. For the price (at the time 64 dollars a night) it was wonderful. I liked it even better than the all star resorts. I took a long walk one evening and peeked through the trees at the back of the lake and noticed all the unfinished construction. I had no clue what was supposed to go back there, but was disapointed that it looked like it had been abandoned.

I've since found some pictures over at Jim Hill's site:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jeff_l...4/11/1785.aspx

and:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jeff_l...4/13/1813.aspx

They mention that it's supposed to be the first all-suite resort on property. What exactly will be the difference in that part of the resort and the classic years part. Also, will this part actually connect as the original diagrams depicted and be open to guests on the classic side? Also, does anyone know why they stopped construction so quickly and why it has been abandoned for all these years?

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Pop Century Resort

If I remembered this correctly, I believe the buildings are scrap because they were damaged badly in the hurricane trio of 04. My guess is that it will be torn down and rebuilt for DVC.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

They are actually fine...Disney builds its buildings to easily withstand hurricanes. The ones that are there are fine, though quite a few buildings have yet to be built.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• On the Highway in the Sky

It was my understanding that the hotel construction was halted due to "overcapacity" at the value resorts (i.e. the All Stars and the Classic Years were not able to sell the rooms they had let alone a bunch more). True or not - I am not certain. but it sure seems plausible as the construction was halted (I believe) sometime after 9/11.....

• Vehicle rotating backward

Hmm, interesting but I still suspect it will end up being a seperate DVC resort instead of the original plan of a second Pop Century. There's a good number of people in and out of Disney who feel WDW has expanded it's capacity well enough for the next 10 years.

Of course, they could also let them just sit and rot there another five years, but that's rather embarassing, yes?

• Banned User

No, if the family suites do well, they can remodel the existing buildings and build the others into family suites; then finish the conversion of some more of the all star rooms. That way they are not over capacity since the suites are like 2 rooms together.

• Oh DDDD-DEAR, Poor Piglet

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Hmm, interesting but I still suspect it will end up being a seperate DVC resort instead of the original plan of a second Pop Century. There's a good number of people in and out of Disney who feel WDW has expanded it's capacity well enough for the next 10 years.

Of course, they could also let them just sit and rot there another five years, but that's rather embarassing, yes?
    I think it will come sooner then that... I tired to find a hotel room during Maraton weekend this past January... could not find a one (other then beach club villas.... and i'm not that rich!)
    Thank You for dropping by my post. I do hope you enjoyed your stay....

Wow...I so want to know the story about this unfinished resort. Thanks for the links. Very interesting.

• Banned User

Started construction in late 2000 I think, then the tourist slump happened in the end of 2001. They stoped construction on the resorts midway while thinking what to do. The resort was half finished (mostly) for years. Eventualy, they finished half the resort and opened it. They never went back to finish the other half but, demand is rising slowly.... And people like the family suites so they might finish the ledgend years as suites after al these years, but this is just a rumor.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Started construction in late 2000 I think, then the tourist slump happened in the end of 2001. They stoped construction on the resorts midway while thinking what to do. The resort was half finished (mostly) for years. Eventualy, they finished half the resort and opened it. They never went back to finish the other half but, demand is rising slowly.... And people like the family suites so they might finish the ledgend years as suites after al these years, but this is just a rumor.
    I've heard the family suites rumor a few times, and I think it is a good idea. I hope they do well, since I hate looking at those unfinished buildings, as well as only having half of pop century complete. Technically, it's Pop Half Century now, isn't it?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

The buildings were part of teh Phase II of Pop Century which was supposed to be the 1900s-1940's hence the name Pop CENTURY. The resort in it's current form is only half complete. The family suites previously mentioned are a new concept and should construction preoceed on the site for the remaining part of the resort I'm sure a portion of teh rooms will be the suite. As for all suites, doubt that would happen. If they don't finish the resort I think the they should rename it Pop Half-Century.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Classic Years has been running at very high capacity--I would imagine Legendary Years will actually end up being some mix of suites and normal rooms, since there is demand for more normal rooms--just not 2880 of them. I could see them making half of the buildings into suites, and half into normal rooms--allowing them to leave the current buildings as they are, and just build the future buildings completely as suites.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Self Congratulative

DVC is under consideration. Mostly because DVC mostly has an appeal to the upper-middle class right now. They want to increase the income bracket and have some lower point-per-season properties.

I wouldn't see it happening any time soon however.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I heard the Family Suites rumor, and it makes sense, especially if they catch on in the Music.

I agree with the OP though, it is much nicer than the All-Stars, and I have to say when I got a $54 per night deal that I was splitting...well I could not complain.

• Looking for the Mouse!

We paid $104 a night---but it was still worth it. The food court was just fine, the gift shop was simple and basic, the kids LOVED the arcade...ok my wife is standing over me tapping her foot...I loved the arcade, and the rooms were perfect for, well, sleeping, which is what we did in them.

We are going back in February 2009 (sigh) and I hope that the other half century is done by then.

I love Disney World.

Mark
    Mark Bee
    Host of the Internationally Syndicated
    Radio Program "Blades Of Blue"!
    http://www.bladesofblue.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast