Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Blog Entries

Interesting rumor regarding Mission Space

There's an interesting rumor over on another disney site that the imagineers are currently testing turning one of the 4 centrifuges into a no-g's option of the ride. Everything will remain the same on that one pod but it just won't spin. They're testing to see how possible it is and trying to make it as good of a ride experience as possible without the take off feeling.

Personally I think it's a wonderful idea. There's no way I'll go anywhere near this ride currently due to my motion sickness and I was a little discouraged to discover that when I got there. I'm very excited about this option though.

• Minion

Re: Interesting rumor regarding Mission Space

That is interesting and I hope it works out for them. I wonder if they've ever investigated reducing the g's for one centrifuge rather than make it no g's. Be interesting to see what they end up doing...

• Sock Puppet

That would be neat if it were true...but it also seems like a hassle for the line. How would that work out? Ask each guest if they want to spin real fast or not? Hm..

Blog Entries

I thought that all the pods were in a circle? Meaning they would have to turn off multiple pods to accomplish this.

I also do not understand why you even go on this ride if it didn't spin. It would be like going on Star Tours and it not moving.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Talk about kinda killing the point of the ride...and making the line potentially grow again.

• Sailing Away

I suffer from motion sickness too, and I still don't think I would ride MS even if they changed it. I think there could be a lot of confusion between the spin and no spin option, especially for those who have never experienced the ride before. It's nice that they are trying to customize the ride for everyone, but I hope it doesn't alter the ride for those who like its current status.
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

There are apparently 4 seperate centrifuges, this would only effect one of them. Since there never seems to be much of a line here and I don't know how often they even operate all 4 at one time I don't think it would hurt anything.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374
    I thought that all the pods were in a circle? Meaning they would have to turn off multiple pods to accomplish this.

I also do not understand why you even go on this ride if it didn't spin. It would be like going on Star Tours and it not moving.
    They'd have to shut down an entire circle of pods. Edit: kcnole just said the same thing in the post above. Nice read, Pacha.
    I guess it would be like sitting in a pod and watching TV...or something along those lines.

At Six Flags Great America, they have a ride called Space Shuttle America that's kind of like a bigger version of Star Tours only with little or no theming. Anyway, on this ride, the rows of seats themselves move rather than the entire ride as one unit. They have a row or two in back that they can set to not move. We did the non-moving rows this summer on our trip there so we could get our 4 year old on the ride (she didn't make the height requirement to go on the moving rows). Yeah, it was lame - sort of like watching a movie on a giant screen rather than being on a ride.

Personally, I can't imagine Mission: Space without the g-forces much the same way I can't imagine Star Tours or Space Shuttle America without motion. However, I'm glad that Disney is looking into some options for those who do get motion sickness.

Blog Entries

the ride would still move back and forth. Each individual pod on the centrifuge apparently has about 45 degrees of motion. They're just testing it. They may be able to turn it into something viable, they may not. But I'm at least glad to see them giving it a try.

• Classic Animation

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    There's an interesting rumor over on another disney site that the imagineers are currently testing turning one of the 4 centrifuges into a no-g's option of the ride. Everything will remain the same on that one pod but it just won't spin. They're testing to see how possible it is and trying to make it as good of a ride experience as possible without the take off feeling.

Personally I think it's a wonderful idea. There's no way I'll go anywhere near this ride currently due to my motion sickness and I was a little discouraged to discover that when I got there. I'm very excited about this option though.
    Good idea. I would love to experience the essence of the ride but hit too many of the "warnings>"

• Disney Memory Maker

“You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    That is interesting and I hope it works out for them. I wonder if they've ever investigated reducing the g's for one centrifuge rather than make it no g's. Be interesting to see what they end up doing...
    There isn't a lot of room to reduce the Gs. It only goes up to 1.5 right now, and they won't make it 0 Gs, as that would require a spin. Either way, I just can't see it being the same. I get motion sick, but enjoyed it.

I was told it spins you at about 2.1 Gs. It seems a little intense for only 1.5. You can feel that in taking off from a red light in a muscle car.

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by bluntman
    I was told it spins you at about 2.1 Gs. It seems a little intense for only 1.5. You can feel that in taking off from a red light in a muscle car.
    It's the fact that it is sustained 1.5 G's. It's like weight lifting. Sure you can lift a 100 pound weight, but the weight lift seems more intense the longer the lift and sustain.

I hear the rumor about Mission Space, however, I heard they were looking into building a room with motion bases and keeping the 4 centerfugii moving.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart
    I hear the rumor about Mission Space, however, I heard they were looking into building a room with motion bases and keeping the 4 centerfugii moving.
    It's no longer a rumor. Disney has said they are doing it.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast