Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Going Solo at Disney World.

I am going to Disney World in July. My vacation begins on Friday, July the 21st and lasts until July 29th. I am part of a party of 8 Disney travelers. I will be solo, in my hotel room, for the first time. I will begin most of my days solo. I plan on going to many early entry mornings. I will be meeting up with other members in my party, most days, later in the day. I have one day, where I will fly solo all day.

Have you ever been to Walt Disney World alone? Can you offer me any tips, ideas, strategies, or just general information, that will make my solo time at Disney World more magical?

Thanks everyone.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Going Solo at Disney World.

For many years, I travelled solo--not to Disney, but various other locales. I'm a Pisces and heard somewhere that we tend to do this.

I find that it's great to be alone sometimes, a bit cathartic.

You have a terrific opportunity when you are alone to go where there aren't crowds. Use the symbolism of being alone to find all of those out of the way things that crowds go to. I mean, have you toured the other hotels? Seen when they put the flowers out in the Grand Floridian and their 'maid brigade?'

In other words, since you have time before you go do a little research and start a list, probably from the suggestions people make here. Surely, take advantage of those early entries and the single rider lines, but when the park gets full, remember, you only have yourself in your party. Leave the park and find all those little out of the way spots the park has that most people miss out on.

For me, when I would go to NYC or similar places, I would find cafes to sit and read or go to small, less popular museums--far from the beaten path.

And keep a journal. That motivates me.

Now I'm married and can't imagine traveling alone again. But occasionally, I have to go to a conference and the same rules apply.

Bon voyage and peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Happy Memories

Haven't done much solo traveling for the length of time you are, but I have been to the parks on my own many, many times. I used to have an AP to all 3 major theme park companies here in Florida. If I waited for other people to be available to go with me, I never would have gotten the use out of my passes. So most of the time, if I just had a random day off and felt like getting away from the chaos of my life, I hopped in the car and headed for Orlando.

It's really nice to be able to do whatever you want when you want. You can devise a loose plan for yourself, but if something else comes up that seems interesting or if the crowds get too bad or if your mood just doesn't fit your original plan you can easily change your plan without upsetting anyone else who might have had their heart set on a specific activity. I totally agree with the previous poster that finding some of the other interesting, less popular activities is a good way to explore on your own. I've spent entire days on property just exploring the beauty of the various resorts without setting foot in the actual parks.

Is there an attraction or experience that you've always thought looked interesting, but no one else in your party wanted to waste their time on? Now is your chance to go for it!

Have fun and don't limit yourself. Flying solo gives you the ultimate freedom.

Blog Entries

If I lived close enough to the parks to be able to get there in an hour or so I'd probably go solo, but for several days I think it would be boring. Half the fun is in sharing the experience with others although my wife and I did get in a few little spats last time because I wanted to ride every ride and she just wanted to walk around and take the parks in. So we both had very different goals which were hard to accomodate and we didn't want to split up to do them since we didn't have phones or anything to get back together.

I think I wouldn't mind spending a day from time to time solo in the park but most of the fun is in being with others.

If I were to be going solo just part of the time like you're speaking of I would find out what things you really want to do that the others in your group maybe don't want to and hit those things during your solo time. If you're going to save the rides and attractions for those times with the groups, just explore. It's not as much fun as it used to be since all the shops are pretty much the same, but there's still fun little things to discover each time you go.

• Minion

I've not done WDW solo, but did to DL solo a couple days and had a great time despite missing my family.

Like Xharryb said, "Have fun and don't limit yourself. Flying solo gives you the ultimate freedom."

• Self Congratulative

I go solo all the time. I don't like it as much for the fact that I had no one to talk to and so my mind drifted everywhere, but at the same time, I guess it was cool not having to care about what everyone else wanted to do or were thinking. I guess it has its pros and cons.

It is a peaceful experience though.

• Former Epcot CM

I absolutely loved whatever solo time I had in WDW. You could attribute it to the fact that for two weeks I was with my family nearly all of the time, and that made the odd couple of hours here and there on my own in the parks extra special, but I enjoyed every minute. My most vivid memory is just sitting at the Writers Stop at the Studios and flicking through all the Imagineering books they have there, in a nice big comfy armchair with a hot chocolate in hand. It sounds so simple, yet it was one of the best parts of my vacation - I was so relaxed, and that is what vacations are for.

I also had a great time wondering around a sunkissed Magic Kingdom when my brother pulled my parents over to Frontierland for repeat trips on the Mountains that side of the park, taking snaps of Main Street (my favourite land), riding some of the Fantasyland dark rides, and meeting my fuzzy pals in Toontown... I did whatever I wanted, and whenever I wanted. My mum also gave me my ticket so I could have park hopped whenever, but still, it was so peaceful.

WDW on your own is definitely not to be underestimated.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Have you ever been to Walt Disney World alone? Can you offer me any tips, ideas, strategies, or just general information, that will make my solo time at Disney World more magical?
    Oh yeah.

Pros: Best thing...one person can turbo between and around slow people without fear of losing a group member. You can ride whatever you want with someone protesting, and frankly if you are up to constant motion, you can ride everything if you are willing to hop ride to ride, from on side of the park to the other side of the park and FP machine to FP machine, and if you want to, no one will complain about not staying in a logical order or doing a whole area's rides before moving on. I make excellent ride to time spent in park ratios by myself.

Restroom stops and food stops happen when you want them, and no one else's stop is going to delay you from riding rides.

Cons: Lines can suck. Sometimes you just want someone to talk to...I do find myself on the phone alot more during solo themepark trips, always calling to share something with someone.
    Bus lines, and bus rides can be harsh too...you just want to talk.
    Sometimes doing a ride by yourself...well maybe you won't have this problem but as a legal drinking age male I do get looks sometimes when I hop in the ship to ride Peter Pan's Flight by myself. But I ride everything.

I've always made sure to take "me time" even on trips with my family...but my last trips have been all me time and sometimes it's nice to have company...but you can always find that one great thing to do yourself.
    For me I found a nice Mexican Margarita walking around WS in the hour before Illuminations was amazingly relaxing, nothing else existed.

• Former CM

On my last trip I had some solo time (about 6 hours) where I just went around looking at things and taking pictures. I started at MK and then headed to Epcot to meet everyone for dinner. I had fun just being able to look around and do what I wanted. I went on some rides, but I just took my time going around the 2 parks. If I get a chance to do it again I would.

• Shablagoo!

LAst trip to disneyworld I went solo on my last day. The other member of my party went golfing. I spent the day catching favorite rides and shopping. Also I went to get pictures with characters. I usually had no problem getting someone to take my picture, from an employee to another park patron. I don't think I would enjoy a whole week of going solo, but a day or 2 is great.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I go solo all the time. I like it because I can see what I want to see when I want to see it and not have to worry about anyone whining they want to do something or someone complaining they're tired or hungry or whatever. And I get there when I want and leave when I want. It all goes by MY timetable.

The downside is it does get lonely sometimes.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I did a whole week by myself. I really don't have any advice, except that it's nice to not have to parksee by committee, group fighting over whether we should go somewhere later or go there now, etc.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann

Thanks everyone.
    What do you think most CPs do?

But I have done both DL and WDW solo and I enjoy it a lot. Obvious tips would be to look for single-rider lines and use them. I used a lot of my time alone to do what I want-- which meant characters, shows, etc. I tend to do things that my friends or family wouldn't enjoy doing. So keep your party in mind, do what you love alone so then at least you get to experience what you want.

As far as lines go... guests can be friendly sometimes. I have found the most friendly line guests in Fantasyland. They tend to strike up a conversation about my shirt or whatnot and the next few minutes waiting in line you have some entertainment. I also enjoy people watching so it's a nice mix for me I guess.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    They tend to strike up a conversation about my shirt or whatnot and the next few minutes waiting in line you have some entertainment.
    You know maybe it's because you are a girl...but usually I find when strangers start talking about my apparel I get weirded out...

Or for some reason they think I work there...because nothing says "It's a Small World" like a Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll Coal Chamber shirt...

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    You know maybe it's because you are a girl...but usually I find when strangers start talking about my apparel I get weirded out...

Or for some reason they think I work there...because nothing says "It's a Small World" like a Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll Coal Chamber shirt...
    Yes, it was a British guest talking about my shirt.. if it makes a difference. And for the record, last Sat. at Disneyland in the petting zoo I had a guest ask me if I worked there. (And if anyone saw the pictures I had my hair braided, was wearing gold ears, jeans, and a Disneyland t-shirt. Not exactly a Frontierland costume. I Disney pointed him to the nearest CM who was a few feet behind me. )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast