Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Same old problems at WDW...

Well people are very very desperate in that situation. And its very hard to keep calm when your child is running around the biggest park on property (well DAK is bigger but you can't run around a flippin' safari). But I don't think TDLFAN's terminology shows he doesn't care.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Tough. That is no reason to go off insulting the people who may be trying to help you find your brat. After all, he lost his child in the first place, and he did it all by himself. Maybe he needs the scare to teach him a lesson and be more attentive next time.
    I'll again concede that I have no log of what he said or to whom, or what the CM was doing to help or anything. I assume WDW has a plan in place for situations like that, I assume parents will be naturally panicked when losing a child in a crowded large area like Epcot, and I assume that people whose job is finding and reporting lost children are used to getting a handful of parents who are unusually tense for understandable reasons.

Unless there's something that I don't know, like this guy was WAY over the edge even for his situation, or threatened violence or something, then I can't speak for sure. Assuming he didn't, though, that's a rather disingenuous attitude to take.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Most of your comments I agree on, my last experience with the Monrail system was just horrible personally but overall your comments are right on. As much as I would love to bash you for putting my world down, I just can't.

I can however give a first hand opinion about the gentleman looking for his daughter.

I lost my daughter, at WDW and my expreience was a little different.

We were staying at Pop Century and we had just gotten off the bus. While we were walking down this path, at the end we take a right and then there were two paths left, but the end of the path was obstructed by a very tall bush. My 9yr old at the time ran ahead because our room was right on the corner of the building, right off the 2nd left. (You get all that? lol) Anyway, my 9yr old ran ahead and true to form, my 5yr old followed her. So here I come and I walk around the bush to find my 9yr old standing at the room door but no 5yr old. Apparently, my youngest had taken the first left, which wound itself all the way around the back side of the building. I freaked out.....I went into the room, called security and there were 5 people at my door within a minute...literally. When something like this happens, EVERY IMAGINABLE thing that could go wrong with your child goes through your mind and I mean everything. We found her, crying, on the other side of the building. Now I consider myself a responsible parent, my children have manners, they listen when they are supposed to and I have been complimented on many occasions on their behavior. Does that make me irresponsible? I don't think so, it was just a matter of HORRIBLE timing that she managed to get around the back side of the building before I turned the corner.

Now in regards to the guy at Epcot, I never cussed at the CM's, in fact the one woman was so helpful she treated all of us to ice cream after the horrible incident. I don't think it was right that he was rude to them but after having an exprience myself I can understand it. Doesn't make him an irresponsible parent, it just means that stuff can and will happen.

You can also bet that my youngest never got farther than 2ft from me the rest of the trip to.

• Having a Grand Day!

The thing is we don't know what happned - the child could have been lost all morning, it could have been 5 minuites ago. The last thing we should be doing is bashing the guy behind his back without knowing all the paramaters.

• Old Timer

Thats the big reason why I care not to re-visit WDW any time soon with my family was because of the poor morale of the workers there. Its like "who cares" attitude from them, sure I live someplace else, I own a house and acreage, I admit I have a skilled high paying job and can afford a family vacation for several weeks many thousands of miles from home.

Then when I do fly over 5,000 miles, drop into a dramatic climate and culture difference I then visit a place to unwind, relax and escape from reality a bit I am reminded by workers or cast members that they could care less about my satisfaction but instead they just wish the day was through, its not their fault that management treats them like dirt I suppose and oddly enough its the foreign seasonal cast members that are the most courteous.

Its just east coast thinking I guess, the haves and have nots. Disneyland is really the place to see honest funloving Disney employees though sometimes there is one that seems a bit frustrated but overall DL has a much better experiance than WDW.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Inappropriate

Okay...most of these "disasters" of yours i don't see as disasters. Waiting 5 minutes to park? Big deal. Sounds like a patience problem. The ferry instead of the monorail? I again fail to see the problem. 12 minutes to reach the turnstile? Again, big deal. So it took about a total of 20 minutes to drive in to epcot, park, and enter the park. Tsk Tsk.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

I have to agree with you about the entrance to Epcot. Nine times out of ten it is horrific. They *really* need to take a look at their current park entrance system.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants
    Okay...most of these "disasters" of yours i don't see as disasters. Waiting 5 minutes to park? Big deal. Sounds like a patience problem. The ferry instead of the monorail? I again fail to see the problem. 12 minutes to reach the turnstile? Again, big deal. So it took about a total of 20 minutes to drive in to epcot, park, and enter the park. Tsk Tsk.
    I totally agree, and calling the kid a brat, totally rude. looks like you should have gone home and took a nap if everything made you mad this day TDLFAN .

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    The thing is we don't know what happned - the child could have been lost all morning, it could have been 5 minuites ago. The last thing we should be doing is bashing the guy behind his back without knowing all the paramaters.
    well put!!!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

An impromptu Quality Control Visit to the MK and EPCOT, that's what's next!!
    Smart man.

Doesn't anyone take a bit of pride while working at the MK anymore???
    No one takes any pride working anywhere anymore sadly.

CM's in Flying Carpet costumes were stading next to the POTC signs directing guests to "move along.. nothing to see here".
    Ugly costumes, wrong area!

Over on Main Street, the entire Sports shop (formerly the Magic shop and Penny Arcades) is totally closed for refurbishing at this time. No loss there.

But for the most part..everything looked GREAT!
    That is nice to hear.

All of this monorail drama was worthy of an Irwin Allen movie... really!
    Yeah...confused me!

also because 1 out of every 3 guests seemed to have problems with the finger scanner...either they did not know how to insert fingers,
    You know, this is why I am for the WDW "AP Only Line". APs have been doing the bioscanners for years, we know how to do it. Anyone dumb enough to put in the wrong fingers time after time has been weeded out by now. I hate...violently getting stuck behind stupid people in a line anywhere...especially keeping me from a themepark!

At least while standing in line at Guest Relations, I got to enjoy the guest whose 8 year old daughter had been missing for a while now and how he was telling everyone off for not handling the situation to his satisfaction.
    Yeah that is a good way to motivate people to help you...

Thanks for the report TDLFan.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I assume WDW has a plan in place for situations like that,
    Absolutely they have a plan, next time you go to a store look to see if they have a Code Adam sticker on the door...its a national "plan" for a missing child in a store, Disney has contingency plans. But yelling screaming panicing never helps. Ever.
    I've seen it happen...and I hate to sound like a ***** but most of the time the parent panics because the kid get seperated because the parent wasn't paying full attention to them. Not always, but much of the time.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    Its just east coast thinking I guess, the haves and have nots. Disneyland is really the place to see honest funloving Disney employees though sometimes there is one that seems a bit frustrated but overall DL has a much better experiance than WDW.
    DL is even more desperate than WDW for CMs. WDW may be hiring anything with two legs to walk through the door, but DL will hire something with four.

• Banned User

I assume WDW has a plan in place for situations like that, I assume parents will be naturally panicked when losing a child in a crowded large area like Epcot, and I assume that people whose job is finding and reporting lost children are used to getting a handful of parents who are unusually tense for understandable reasons.
    Actually, NO ONE at WDW is in charge of finding lost children. The plan is that if a CM spots a child who is missing, he/she will attend to the child and get information...(what's your mommys name...etc etc). The correct thing for the CM is to go to the nearest available house phone and report the missing child to Guests Relations at that park and designate a meeting place so that when a parent advises CMs that a child is lost, they would know where to direct that parent to meet his child again. However...this is the other problem... some CMs do not follow this procedure.. they may spot a child, and then say something like..."let's walk around this area to see if you can spot your parents..." That 'walking around' is wasted time from the more tried and true "REPORT to Guests Relations" system.

To me, it was obvious this man was told to go to Guests Relations but no one had reported the child missing yet. Who knows... maybe the child didn't want tobe found, or a CM was going around with the child looking for the parents... I don't know.

However, I am not as insensitive as some of you think I am. A parent should never loose a child in crowded places...and if a child is hyper...a parent should probably be more attentive (not implying this is the case here either) I don't recall ever getting separated from my parents when I was a brat in my single digit years. I can only imagine how frustrating it could be for a parent to loose sight of a child, but does that give the parent the right to go marching into Guest Relations and use 4-letter words and hurl insults at the very same people who are in a position to help???

Quote Originally Posted by summerinfl
    As much as I would love to bash you for putting my world down, I just can't.
    ..And you think I enjoy reporting the negative side of WDW?? Or furthermore, do you think I enjoy putting my reputation on the line so everyone can shift blame and place it on me??? But someone has got to bring this up, so I guess it's got to be me since no one else have the guts to do so here.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaPants
    Waiting 5 minutes to park? Big deal. Sounds like a patience problem.
    Hardly. You are saying this to the guy who waited 4 hours in line to see Hunny Hunt at TDL, and the guy who has the patience of a saint, with multiple hours wasted in line at TDR and other Disney resorts. However, what set me off was how many people around me were bitching and moaning about the slow lines going into EPCOT and the monorail problems. With so much moaning around me, I felt justified going into Guests Relations to advise them of the situation...which could have been corrected if they have had more staffing out at the park. This is a historical thing at EPCOT... as once DAK closes... the hopping pilgrimage begins... Why are they not prepared for this on a daily basis?? The more they make guests wait in line outside the gate, the more time (money) is wasted of their day experience inside the parks. Forgive me for being an advocate to guests' rights. And if it was a "patience problem" as you put it... then it must have been collective because there were a lot of people shaking their heads and commenting how bad the situation was in frustration.
    Oh BTW... great sale on fannypacks out at Macy*s this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla
    I totally agree, and calling the kid a brat, totally rude.
    Oh Karla..relax! I call all kids "brats" in jest. Even my cousins' kids who I adore like if they were my own, I call them brats! So no, I not being rude... I am just joking. But if you feel it's rude, then you should go home and sleep it off until the feeling passes. You'll feel better in the morning, just like I feel like taking a drive to DAK or MGM later today..

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    DL is even more desperate than WDW for CMs. WDW may be hiring anything with two legs to walk through the door, but DL will hire something with four.
    That may or may not be the case, but WDW hires just about anyone as well...except for those with prior criminal record or former CMs with bad working record.

• Banned User

Oh Karla..relax! I call all kids "brats" in jest. Even my cousins' kids who I adore like if they were my own, I call them brats! So no, I not being rude... I am just joking. But if you feel it's rude, then you should go home and sleep it off until the feeling passes. You'll feel better in the morning, just like I feel like taking a drive to DAK or MGM later today..
    yeah your right, , and I need a nap!!!

sorry, I am just not in my right frame of mind this week, must be the water Sorry you had a bad time, some days I see the crap in everything to. Have a good afternoon, take some pics ok. and if you see things looking badly take pics for us to see . You know me, I need visual.and i would also loove to see MGM !!!
    Have a good afternoon,

• meganmegaphone

There are mostly good cast members everywhere you go. It's just when you're working 60+ hours a week at quick service and upwards of 70 at most attractions those 12 hour days can really get to ya. Even the best cast member has their limits. Especially when working for minimum wage at thouse hours The good cast members are quiting and working elsewhere for this reason, & the ones at fault all the time are all too often forgiven because their bodies are so badly needed.

Make sure you thank your cast members too and do your part as a guest. I PROMISE your thanks WILL be GREATLY apreciated

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

• I was deleted.

For the most part, the park was decently clean.. just your usual napking here, some of the same dirt spots I have come to recognize in Tomorrowland, or a discarded water bottle there. Yet I was perplexed at how many non-custodial CM's do stand next to these little imperfections yet DO NOT bother to bend over and pick up the rubbish. Doesn't anyone take a bit of pride while working at the MK anymore???
    Or are their huge bellies not allowing them to bend over?? I mean, you can burn a few calories just collecting a discarded guidemap off the floor, and trust me... some CMs need the exercise, and better fitted costumes as well.
    Honey... I did this and so did others I worked with. However, not all of them do so I understand.. it's become a pet peeve for me too.

This particular Peter looked 12, while Wendy looked 28. Oh well... they looked great in costume and acted the parts accordingly.. That is what matters.
    I think I've met that Peter. Some of the Wendy's do appear a bit older.. but when you put the same girls in Alice they look younger. I think it's part of the costume issues. But yes, back to Peter.. if its the one I'm thinking of it's the really adorable one who often asks what your Lost boy/girl name is to the young kids or gives them one. Super cute and fits the part of the charcter if you ask me.

CM's in Flying Carpet costumes were stading next to the POTC signs directing guests to "move along.. nothing to see here".
    I would reply.. I am reading, THANK YOU.

Now... on to my ever lasting frustration: The monorail service.
    I don't even want to start with my monorail hate. I love it but HATE IT!!!! Why can't we just take a bus or walk?! You can do that at Disneyland. This is where WDW really doesn't have things "better."

After so much delay and frustration, I marched to Guest Relations to give them my opinion about their staffing shortages and how guests are being made to wait too long unnecesarily. The nice CM, who I had to ask to speak to me in spanish since his accent was quite strong and I was having a hard time understanding it (this happens when two people with respective accents of their own collide in conversation. Don't believe me? Go to Manchester UK),
    finally confessed to me that turnstyle frustrations and delays are just about the most common complaint from guests all day long, day in and day out. In his words, translated here for your benefit. Oh well...
    At least while standing in line at Guest Relations, I got to enjoy the guest whose 8 year old daughter had been missing for a while now and how he was telling everyone off for not handling the situation to his satisfaction. Personally, I feel he could have been a better parent and keep a leash on his little Princess, but that's a different trauma.
    Yay for plaid and I'm glad you voiced it TDLFAN. As for the parent... yes it's Disney's fault you lost your child. Hold on tight just like you do to your hat buddy.

In closing.. if you have read thru all of this... One of the interesting aspects of visiting WDW every now and then is to be pleasantly surprised. Sometime it does happen. Today, it didn't. It pains me to see a lack of consistency in regards to good customer service. Management needs to realize that operating their parks with minimun staffing impacts the overall satisfaction of the guests. I was NOT the only one fuming out there today...trust me on that. But many won't take the time to tell management about it. It's very sad.
    I agree. Thank you for voicing your opinion once again. Each voice adds up. Now if only they wouldn't short staff Guest Relations... then maybe it'd be easier?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast