Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Same old problems at WDW...

TDLFan I was at EPCOT the same day as you, and did not see half the problems you bring up in this thread. Do you think maybe you dwell a little too much on the negative and not enough on the positive. there is a balance that exists much like the circle of life, where there are some things you need to let go. yes there were staffing problems, I saw guests standing on railings and 5 cast members walked by and said nothing. I saw lines moving slower etc, but there are always those few people who bitch and moan, but overall with the heat and the lines I found that people on this trip were less stressed than on previous trips.

yes I saw chipping paint and some bad paint match ups, but if you look for the bad you will find it. And I am not saying to see the world through rose colored glasses, but in a place that is meant for rose colored glasses you might want to buy a pair.

I notice you have a beef with WDW .... and not with any other park around the world.... did something happen when you were a CM that made you critical of the resort? it seems like you are trying to get revenge by posting all these slightly and sometimes more than slightly tweaked reports.

Just an observation.

I still had a marvelous time this weekend and I did notice problems, but if you know they have short staffing why bitch about it when you could do what you can to make the situation better. I always find tourists are always greatful when a person who knows what is going on informs them and they can show some empathy, I am sure from their own jobs they know what it is like to be short staffed and would not want people bitching about when it is not their fault. well that is in my experience. but what do I know... I like to be happy at a Disney Park
    Last edited by WaltsFavorite02; 05-09-2006 at 06:49 AM.
    " And we can dream our dreams forever, dream our dreams together, we open our hearts make a wish on a star in the sky..."
    Light Magic 1997-1997

• Banned User

The observations I made took place at around 5pm at the gate and parking areas. They do not apply to the rest of the park or conditions around the park at any given time of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by waltsfavorite02
    I notice you have a beef with WDW .... and not with any other park around the world.... did something happen when you were a CM that made you critical of the resort? it seems like you are trying to get revenge by posting all these slightly and sometimes more than slightly tweaked reports.
    That is a dumb statement and not true at all. Actually I come down harder on DLP for the lack of cleanliness and other un-Disney like practices there. Research some of my reports in the DLP section. As for "something happening" when I was a CM... NO. I am quite proud of my days as a CM at WDW back in the early 80. However, reminicing about those days.. I remember what was expected of us on stage and how to deliver the "magic" and tend to other problems not related to our duties..like picking up trash and the likes.... Our managers were watching and making sure we delivered. Knowing what was expected of us and seeing how I don't get the same in return as a guest now a days, leaves me with a sour taste... a feeling of being shortchanged...

Besides... as I said before and you may have missed it.. There were a LOT OF GUESTS complaining around me due to the slow moving line and backups at the entrance and on the monorail due to their mechanical mishap. When people are complaining "en mass"... it is an eye opener and reason why I went into Guest Relations. What is frustrating is how repetitive these problems have become. I spend many days at WDW and other Disney resorts workdwide and I observe the same problems and attributes over and over and over. In WDW's case, same problems occur daily, hence the name of this thread.

With thousands of people in a park at a given time, it's quite possible everyone will come out with a different experience and my hope is that most people do feel their day and moeny spent there was worth it. Me? I am passed the "I am a happy person at Disney" crap. I do not go there as a tourist anymore. I go there to either shop, or dine, or take a stroll
    or maybe enjoy a new attraction or so... Am I critical? Yes, and will continue to do so when necesary. Do I look for things to critisize on a constant basis? NO. I did mention up on my report how nice everything looked at the MK, did I not?? Seems to me some of you choose to do what you are accusing me of... "looking for the negative, and failing to see the positive as well". But I am tired of defending the same old poo over and over... Saying "today was not a good day at WDW" does not mean being critical. It means being honest about my experience. If yours is better, even if you force yourself to be "happy" in advercity just because, then more power to you! Why don't you write your own "happy" report and post pictures like I do on a regular free-lancing basis on these boards???

I don't have to explain my point of view further. Maybe in the future, you may want to skip my reports, or better yet, I will call your name out when you fail to comment on my positive reviews of WDW as I am keeping track of some of you as well who are quick to pass judgement on my "negativity" but say nothing about my "positive" comments. BTW.. you will find my reports around these boards... about HKDL, TDR, DLPR etc... how come you don't take a look at those I wonder??? Oh I forgot, maybe because when I write something positive, then I am accused of trying to be pleasing and not truthworthy in my opinions... I'll be dammed if I do and dammed if I don't.

BTW.... I am not the only one NOT blind to recurrent problems.. No one here loves WDW more than our own Bill, yet he manages to be as objective and fair on his reports as well... Read his "Fantasmic!" thread. These are the kind of comments that can only come out of someone who *loves* and *understand* what WDW is supposed to be like. Those of us who have a genuine love for WDW can only say these things because we know the inside outs of the Disney experience.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 05-09-2006 at 09:02 AM.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

One of the problems WDW has had with its CMs of late is simply due to over-expanding the World. Back in 1980, there were many fewer resorts, no water parks, and only two Theme Parks. Now with the astronomical work force Disney employs, not every CM can be as amazing as they once were--most are, but certainly not all. There simply are not that many peppy people willing to accept Disney's wages. The simple fix might be to raise wages, but that would cause park ticket prices to go up, too, so they have to strike a balance. For the most part, I think they do this well, and most CMs I deal with are fantastic, which is more than I can say at Six Flags. TDL having a better work force is likely the product of many factors, certainly including a smaller resort with fewer CM positions and a location near a very large city. They also may pay better, though I don't know that. TDL doesn't have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for any of its CMs, while WDW (and DL, moreso) sometimes have to. Still, most guests are happy with their visits, and I certainly feel the $35/day I'll be paying for my park hopper next month (7-day ticket) will certainly be worth every penny.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by WaltsFavorite02
    I notice you have a beef with WDW .... and not with any other park around the world....
    Lol have you seen his stuff about DLP lately?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I think the main argument here is there's being objective and then there's being negative. As others have agreed the posts are mostly negative. The very nature of the name of the thread suggests that you will be focusing on the bad in any rate. In creative writing the point is to capture your audience. You did so with a title and then went on to further prove your points, which came across in a bad way. People are focusing on the negative because you set them up to focus on the negative.

No one here loves WDW more than our own Bill, yet he manages to be as objective and fair on his reports as well... Read his "Fantasmic!" thread. These are the kind of comments that can only come out of someone who *loves* and *understand* what WDW is supposed to be like. Those of us who have a genuine love for WDW can only say these things because we know the inside outs of the Disney experience.
    I personally like Bill, I like his reviews, but he also manages to capture what's wrong with WDW without making it seem like a vent session. it's objective, something I think the review here could be with a little tweaking. All in all though I do appreciate your insight and I think if you look at people's comments in a less duragatory way and more of a difference of opinion it might go over better for you. Now that doesn't mean that there won't be people who lash back at you but as has been stated your articles can and are taken in an offensive manner.

As far as justifying your responses by saying you have to be someone who "loves" and "understands" what WDW is supposed to be like... Well I imagine a lot of people on this board fall into that category, does that make any of our opinions less than worthy? I don't believe so, everyone should be entitled to their opinion. I go to WDW once a month now, had been going to WDW ever since I was a child, every year for our family vacations. I don't know everything but I think I have a pretty good idea of what I should expect from WDW every time I go. Sure I notice things like you can see the mechanical arm of Peter Pan on Peter Pan's Flight, heck even I have commented on stuff like that but I still feel the same thing I felt as a child and that's the magic that makes the place special for me. But I digress, I suppose the reason I don't complain to Guest Services is because there are more people out there like yourself, that will do it for me. So by all means, please continue to complain about the chipped paint.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 05-09-2006 at 09:35 AM.

• Screenwriter for NLF

One of the worst things I have seen as far as problems in the Magick Kingdom was when one time when my wife and I hit Splash mountain. At the very top right before the fall there is Brer Fox holding Brer Rabbit and Rabbit is pleading please don't throw me in the Briar Patch...you know which one I'm talking about.

Any hoo, to my surprise his leg was on the ground!! I kid you not! One of his legs had fallen off and was lying there for everyon to see. Now from a fan of the Disney Magic point of view this was heart breaking to see that the ride was allowed to operate in this fashion. But from another thought, it looked like Fox had cut off the poor rabbits foot. It was almost hilarious if not so sad. I can't believe Disney himself would ever allow a ride to operate under that situation.
    Hey Disney Fans, come say hi to me at http://www.myspace.com/blackiepueblo

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wow! That IS sad! I hope they have gotten it fixed since then.

TDLFan,
    A. DO NOT say I made a dumb statement because alot of other micechatters have noticed the same pattern and have similar ideas.

B. If you are past the "being happy at Disney Crap" maybe you should take your business elsewhere, obviously it is not giving you the pleasure it gives the rest of the population.

C. so it's YOU that knows the way things should be done... I was wondering who that was, maybe you should be in charge at TDO

D. Bill may say there are problems with things yes, but he does so in a more positive " this is what's wrong this is how to fix it" kind of way. The fact that you refer to your trip to Epcot and MK as a "Quality Control" visit is beyond me.

E. If people en masse are complaing... let the en masse complain to Guest relations themselves. you have no other duty than to spend money eat food and "stroll"

F. I know alot of families who force there kids to be happy while in a Disney Park, being 23 I am over forcing myself to be happy about anything i don't want to. I am happy because I am happy.

G. If you write something postive it is probrobly such a shock to the folks reading it they think it is a joke. I am not the only one who thinks your reports are a little bit slanted.

F.And lastly you are saying because you and bill both go to WDW frequently.... and more frequently than others here that you know what is right for Disney and understand what it is supposed to be like? Well how about that....
    Last edited by WaltsFavorite02; 05-09-2006 at 03:54 PM.
    " And we can dream our dreams forever, dream our dreams together, we open our hearts make a wish on a star in the sky..."
    Light Magic 1997-1997

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie Pueblo

I can't believe Disney himself would ever allow a ride to operate under that situation.
    Yeah but that is a fluke...that kind of thing is a .0001% chance of even happening let alone Disney letting you see it. I've never seen that so unless it happened since March I can tell you they fixed it. Thats the kind of thing that you really can't blame Disney for letting happen, like a ride breakdown. You can however give them grief when an ashtray isn't emptied overnight or when HM's wallpaper is peeling off.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie Pueblo
    But from another thought, it looked like Fox had cut off the poor rabbits foot. It was almost hilarious if not so sad. I can't believe Disney himself would ever allow a ride to operate under that situation.
    True story: When originally showing Mr Lincoln to it's first audience, the AA broke, tilted forwards, and began leaking it's red hydraulic fluid. The audience was very impressed, they thought they just witnessed Lincoln's assassination.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I comment on both your positive and negative reports. I guess I should feel honored that you're "keeping track" of me, though.

I do think WDW to repair stuff, I did see signs of neglect even as a person who was just thrilled to the brim to be at WDW. A Great Movie Ride marquee with failed neon. The blinking light on the backside of the Tomorrowland sign that was never working. That blinking light, by the way, continued to not work through the whole week I was there. That, however, drops my enjoyment scale down from 9 to a 7 on the ol' 1-10 scale.

Things are nowhere near as bad as Disneyland 99, which I would rate a 4 and that's low since DL was a 10 for me from 88-94. A bulb out, even one they stubbornly refuse to fix, is less irritating than a dark ride with doors that fail to open, causing your car to crash into the door and you having to use your hand to physically push it open. That's what I experienced on one of DL's Fantasyland rides last time I was there, and the others weren't great shakes either and saw the same kind of abuse.

Does one bad bulb ruin an illusion? Well, it depends on the size of the illusion but sometimes it can. However, I only expect Disney illusions to go so far because I'm too much of a realist to actually think I'm in a cartoon world. I'd settle for parks that can actually make me happy. And while there's nothing in WDW that looks as authentic as New Orleans Square, I'd still be happy to be there.

My personal advice that you didn't ask for: If you don't like WDW, don't go. I mean that, go less. Some time away will probably wear on your unhappyness with it and you personally visit many Disney parks many times. And not going means less money in their pockets.

I love your photo updates, even the bad ones, but if you haven't been happy there in years, why keep paying for disappointment?

• Banned User

TDLFan,
    A. DO NOT say I made a dumb statement because alot of other micechatters have noticed the same pattern and have similar ideas.
    I already did say it was dumb and I stick to my opinion.

B. If you are past the "being happy at Disney Crap" maybe you should take your business elsewhere, obviously it is not giving you the pleasure it gives the rest of the population.
    And missing the bad parade of fashions?? NEVER!!

C. so it's YOU that knows the way things should be done... I was wondering who that was, maybe you should be in charge at TDO
    I'd do it in a second, but they do not want to pay me the salary I demand.

D. Bill may say there are problems with things yes, but he does so in a more positive " this is what's wrong this is how to fix it" kind of way. The fact that you refer to your trip to Epcot and MK as a "Quality Control" visit is beyond me.
    Bill has not been to TDR to compare.

E. If people en masse are complaing... let the en masse complain to Guest relations themselves. you have no other duty than to spend money eat food and "stroll"
    That's true. My only duty is to be a "Disney phantom shopper".

F. I know alot of families who force there kids to be happy while in a Disney Park, being 23 I am over forcing myself to be happy about anything i don't want to. I am happy because I am happy.
    ..and you are happy about Disney because you are too young to remember what Disney used ot be like. I was already a CM when your maoony and daddy were putting you together, and I know better, especially after being in the inside of WDW.

G. If you write something postive it is probrobly such a shock to the folks reading it they think it is a joke. I am not the only one who thinks your reports are a little bit slanted.
    Don't worry, I don't loose sleep over what people think about my reports or myself.

F.And lastly you are saying because you and bill both go to WDW frequently.... and more frequently than others here that you know what is right for Disney and understand what it is supposed to be like? Well how about that....
    Yes, how ironic that it's me who goes to all of the disney resorts often and not you, the "happy go-lucky guest" you!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I already did say it was dumb and I stick to my opinion.

And missing the bad parade of fashions?? NEVER!!

I'd do it in a second, but they do not want to pay me the salary I demand.

Bill has not been to TDR to compare.

That's true. My only duty is to be a "Disney phantom shopper".

..and you are happy about Disney because you are too young to remember what Disney used ot be like. I was already a CM when your maoony and daddy were putting you together, and I know better, especially after being in the inside of WDW.

Don't worry, I don't loose sleep over what people think about my reports or myself.

Yes, how ironic that it's me who goes to all of the disney resorts often and not you, the "happy go-lucky guest" you!
    You know, sometimes just complaining doesn't really work. If it bothers you that much, do something about it. I had the chance to visit the MK on almost a daily basis last semester, and yes, I noticed the problems that the poor park was facing. It's sad, but honestly speaking, it's out of our control, we do not fund the park, we do not understand the dealing that takes place.

Some folks on this site like to feel that they have an inside edge on the Disney Parks, I was one of them, but then I realized, I don't work in management, Bill, I honestly believe you're gonna get there, and I hope when you do, you'll look me up at WDI! (dreams). But back to the point, the constant complaining about the MK in particular ruins the whole appeal for everyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I personally agree with you TDLFan, but you are way to critical when you speak about them. If you don't like the parks so much, don't go there. There is no one holding a gun to your head and say go to MK or else.

The troubles of the MK bothered me, but I realized that the day becomes much more sad and depressing if I let it consume me. There are parts of the MK that are beautiful. Fantasyland is looking good, Splash Mountain looked good when I was there, Space Mountain needs work, but it's still kicka**.

I love Micechat, I love it for the freedom one has to speak their mind, I love it for the great information I can continue to get when I am away from Florida, and I love it for the great ideas that people can dream up, but it just seems that there are too many folks that only use this to vent their troubles.

The overall message I would like to bring to the table is this...
    In 1994, and in 2000, on my last family visits, WDW looked really good, it was clean, well maintained, and well, magical. Now it's having a little difficulty, but if there is one thing I've learned from my 15+ years of studying Theme Park design, it's this...change can come at ANY time. Just as much as the MK went bad, it can also become truly beautiful once more.

There is no place in the world like WDW, and I don't believe there will ever be another place like WDW. Take a step back, and remember, there are people in this world who will never get to see it, try looking at the park from that perspective, maybe your attitude will change.

BTW TDLFan, unless you are hired by Disney, you are not a phantom shopper, you are a very wise and observant guest. Disney does have people that look for the problems of the parks, WDI SQS is responsible for that, right now their focus is on Animal Kingdom, next year it will be back to the MK, so cross your fingers!

Have a truly magical day folks!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN

TDLFan I think it is awsome that you get to go to all five Disney parks frequently, but unfortunately all of us are not that lucky nor do we have the financial security to do so, so us "happy go- lucky guests" are doing the best we can. I think this thread has gone where it is has because others feel the same way I do. If you could stop being so defensive and aknowledge your short comings and make your reports more balanced it might work in your favor. You are no longer a Cast Member so please stop living in the past like you are one. You're a guest now like anyone else.
    Light Magic 1997-1997

• Banned User

TDLFan I think it is awsome that you get to go to all five Disney parks frequently, but unfortunately all of us are not that lucky nor do we have the financial security to do so
    Hello? I work in the airline business and my paycheck just got cut back a whoping 28%....so don't speak to me about "Financial security". I go to the international parks because I work flights that get me to Tokyo, paris and Hong Kong on layovers, otherwise I would not be able to afford it.
    If you could stop being so defensive and aknowledge your short comings and make your reports more balanced it might work in your favor. You are no longer a Cast Member so please stop living in the past like you are one. You're a guest now like anyone else.
    Shortcomings?? I don't have any short comings. Au contraire... I hear no complaints about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    You know, sometimes just complaining doesn't really work. If it bothers you that much, do something about it.
    I DID! I went to Guest Realtions and posted my opinions here, but as usual, the Disney apologists are attacking me for being frank about my observations.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast