Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Thumbs down Fantasmic's BAD Condition

I saw Fantasmic! three times last week. Let's go over what is wrong.

Right off the bat, there is a horrible bug problem with little tiny bugs everywhere in that stadium. It is not usually like that. Pest control must have had its budget cut or something, because it is really bad this year. And the bug problem extends to other areas as well, but when you're sitting in one place with bright lights down on you, it's more noticable.

Fantasmic! started 15-20 minutes late every single time. I think it's because the show is scheduled for 8:30 and it's still too light out. But then they should be scheduling the show for 9... but anyway...

The show began. The comets didn't go off. In any of the shows. Big let down.

In the flower segment, the cast was letting the pedals go too far down, revealing their bodies, and totally ruined the effect of a flower.

In the Lion King/Jungle Segment, Rafiki's cauldron rock thing had no steam coming out.

During the long mist screen segment after Lion King, the laser was not projecting bubbles on the mountain. (this effect hasn't been working in a long time, and this is the same laser that also used to project Grandmother Willow on to the mountain during the Pocahontas segment) After that segment was over, and the Pocahontas segment began, there was no cannon fire during one of the shows. In every show, at least one canoe was entirely without flames on the torches.

In the transformation scene, Maleficient's pyro did not go off during two of the shows, and in one show, she did not elevate at all. In one show, Jafar the snake was entirely stationary except for his head. In the other two shows, the parts of his... well, does a snake have a body? They were moving too far apart and it didn't even look like a snake. I mean, this thing looked like it was splitting apart in 5 places.

In the finale scene with the boat, well, the boat looks like it is going to fall apart. Half the rope lights aren't lit on the boat, the thing has paint chips everywhere, and parts of the wood are actually becoming loose and starting to hang off to the sides.

Now, normally I'd say that they were just having a bad night. But the fact that I saw it three times within a week shows that the show is in very bad condition, and the person managing it needs to seriously re-evaluate what is going on. I noticed new bumpers were installed to prevent the rafts from becoming stuck... now, all the thing needs is a major rehab to shut down for a month.

I highly suggest doing a fireworks show for guests for a month's time while Fantasmic! goes under serious rehab. It really needs it.

And perhaps they can add more "up front" pyro elements while they're at it. The five minutes of pure mist screens kind of gets to people. And they should take a cue from Disneyland for the finale, and shoot all the fireworks up front. Coming up from the back is honestly too far away.

• Banned User

Re: Fantasmic's BAD Condition

Well the sad thing is, WDW will never ever have a finale quite like Disneyland's- unless they build a Mark Twain (which I fine unfortunately unlikely).

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

you'd think when the mountain fell apart they'd realise the show needed some work...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I don't even waste my precious park time bothering with Fantasmic! anymore. It desperately needs to fixed and refreshed somehow.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

The missing pyro could be due to the current drought in central Florida--the same cause for low level pyro being removed from Cinderellabration. The other stuff sucks though...
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

I was disapointed in fantasmic when I saw it. It was an ok show but that was all. Wishes blew me away and unfortunately I never saw illuminations because I got sick during our epcot day and had to go back to the hotel early so I can't compare it to that.

But Fantasmic was just so boring to me. I doubt I'll go back to see that particular show again.

• Banned User

Bill... great observations... I do avoid going seeing Fantasmic! when I am at MGM by myself because it bothers me they can not be consistent about show elements and quality. Seems like DL does much better here puttingon the show. I just don't understand how they feel is justified to put on a show with so many missing elements missing. Then again, most tourist go there to be "happy" and do not care about the incidentals that make or break an experience. Thanks for your honest opinions on Fantasmic!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Right off the bat, there is a horrible bug problem with little tiny bugs everywhere in that stadium. It is not usually like that. Pest control must have had its budget cut or something, because it is really bad this year. And the bug problem extends to other areas as well, but when you're sitting in one place with bright lights down on you, it's more noticable.
    Are you talking about the roaches? That is what scares me about HHA.

Though what you've mentioned, much of it sounds more like theatrical issues than technical ones. Things like Jafar's snake and the flowers are possibly just bad training, and some of the missed effects could be lousy stage management and missed cues and such.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I think I will miss the show when I am in WDW in June. Not going to waste my time. I only have one full day at the park- so I rather go to Magic Kingdom and see Wishes. I saw Fantasmic a few years ago when it was great and would like to keep that memory, and not have it overriden by crap. Thanks for the report Bill. Now if only someone at WDW will do something about it...
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

BTW, I am actually glad we can discuss this about Fantasmic!

I mentioned to a Fantasmic! CM once about my concerns about the show and she was totally clueless. She insisted that she has never heard ANYONE express anything but positive vibes for this show. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees a problem, and I'm not even a local.

I hope it gets fixed, it's a nice piece of real estate in MGM. In the meantime, I'll continue to visit Illuminations for my night time park show.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Former Epcot CM

Well... this must be pretty recent because when I saw it in October it blew me away as always. Heres hoping its fixed for this October; Fantasmic is my favourite show in WDW.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Screenwriter for NLF

I'm glad I found this topic! I'm taking some friends to DW in May for a weekend and we were debating seeing this show. Looks like we might be watching another night show.

It's a shame when wonderful things like this go down hill and no one seems to doing anything about it.
    Hey Disney Fans, come say hi to me at http://www.myspace.com/blackiepueblo

• e komo mai

That poor steamboat. It looks like it's totally going to sink.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

You know I still haven't seen this show, now I am afraid to go see it. LOL

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    You know I still haven't seen this show, now I am afraid to go see it. LOL
    I think one should definitely see it to compare the two versions. I must give WDW kudos for building a stadium for it. The seating is far better than DL's. I bought the soundtrack for WDW's version six years ago and only listened to it once...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast