Christmas 2006 Help Please

Hi, I am planning my trip from DEC 16-23rd and have my hotel-Poly and my MVMCP tickets and dinner at the LTT for the 18th. Now I need advice about the other festivities and places to eat for the other days. I want to do the Candlelight Processional with dinner at Le Cellier, but need recommendations about other restaurants. I would like to know how everyone feels about Narcossees over the Cal. Grill, Ohanas over the Luau at Poly, where in MGM would you reccommend? any of your favorite places will be greatly appreciated. Also anything else I should look into concerning Christmas? i am so excited about this trip , can't wait. Thanks All

DL-1970-72-2005
    DW-1972-2002-04

"My First Love was Mickey"
    Nanci

• Banned User

Re: Christmas 2006 Help Please

as far as things to look into at christmas, the osborne light spectacular at mgm is awsome!! and check out the gingerbread house in the grand floridian and the gingerbread carousel in the beach club assuming they have them again this year. each deluxe resort's lobby has christmas decorations except for some reason the yacht club only had a small train set last christmas. but these two are the best I can remember. t

Blog Entries

I just wanted to tell you that you need to call to get La Cellier for the Processional as soon as you can. I called at about 10 EST and could not get it for any of the times for the entire first week of December! We ended up going to Alfredo's which was great also. I would get up early and call first thing.

Holiday at WDW is my favorite time to go! I have never been to Ohana but did the Luau and really enjoyed it, but I have heard that there is more food choices at Ohana's. The show and food were great at the Luau and it was all you can eat too. At MGM my two favorite places for dinner are Mama Melrose's and Prime Time both tend to be busy and reservations are a good idea.

MVMCP is great but if you want to catch all the special scheduled events don't plan on being able to squeeze in many attractions. The first time I attended I thought I could skip the MK in the day cause we could hit up the attraction that night. While most attractions will be open with little or no wait time, you will miss the special parades and shows that you won't see durning the regular day. Of course don't forget to get your free hot chocolate and cookies, or get your comp photo taken (the photo location seems to change every year so check your guide map). Other than MVMCP all other holiday events are durning regular park hours. DAK really doesn't do to much other than change Mickey's Jamming Jungle Parade the MIckey's Jingle Jungle Parade, It is exactly the same only with some holiday decor on the floats. Depending on park hours and daylight the Osbourne Lights are sometimes only on for an hour or two so be sure to plan that accordingly.

Not only are there the gingerbread houses and displays, and giant Christmas trees on display throughout the resort but you can also get a fully decorated tree sent to your room too. Actually i remember getting free Chestnuts at the GF that were roasting over and open fire (YUCK, but after all isn't it the thought that counts)

Lots of people may not feel like Florida puts them in the holiday mood, but WDW certainly does for me! Palm trees and fake snow what could be better. I definatly prefer that to freezing it a good old fashioned New England winter. Hope you enjoy your trip! I am looking forward to my planned trip in early December.

• Banned User

Ohana and the Luau are about the same food wise... but I'd go for the Sea World Christmas Luau over the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show any day. I hate that show. lol And the Christmas Luau at Sea World is excellent. If you go to the early one, you can remain in the park and catch Mystify while you're there as well.

I did the Poly Luau in 01, and then the Sea World Luau this past holiday season and honestly didn't care much for the Sea World one. Also could not been more dissatisfied with Mystify, luckily it was "free" after the show cause I thought it was a joke and not worth the wait if I had paid admission to the park.

Thanks for all of your comments , they will be a big help. When do the dates for the Processional come out? Where should I look for these dates so I will know immediately? Will I need dinner res. when I go to see Osbourne Lights do you think?

DL-1970-72-2005
    DW-1972-2002-04

"My First Love was Mickey"
    Nanci

• The one, the only...

I was there this last Christmas, so it is very fresh in my mind. It was a great trip. I loved WDW at Christmas. Take some time and check out the Christmas decorations at the different resorts. The Grand Floridian had the full size gingerbread house and I believe the Beach Club had a train city made of chocolate. They were the best.

You don't need reservations for the Osborn lights. You can do Fantasmic and then head over to the lights. I have to say that the Osborn Lights were the highlight of the Christmas trip. They have snow falling and music playing. It is magical atmosphere. Also Illuminations has an extended part at the end, called the Coda. You should see that too.

As to restaurants, make sure that you schedule Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It really is a wonderful restaurant! It is probably my favorite at WDW. It is VERY different from 'Ohana's so you don't have to worry about repeating an experience like the Luau and 'Ohana might me.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Surfing with the Alien

The processional dates normally come out in the Fall if I'm not mistaken. We've gone to the CP in back to back years with the dinner for both at the Coral Reef. (Note: If John Stamos is on the schedule again, DO NOT GO TO HIS SHOW!) There are definitely a lot more things to do around the resort. The hotels have different Christmas themes. Grand Floridian has a life size gingerbread house (you can purchase cookies and such from the house), and the Boardwalk has a Boardwalk model and a carousel made of chocolate and sweets.

As far as food, we ate at Narcoossees for the first time last December. We preferred the atmosphere, location and service better at Narcoossees over the Cali Grill. Both have good food; obviously Narcoossees specializes in seafood and Cali does a variety of dishes. At MGM I highly recommend 50s Prime Time Cafe. The food is a combination of mom's home cooking and a diner (shakes, some appetizers). I'm not a big fan of Italian but people like Mama Melrose.
    If we can dream it, we can do it...Tomorrow's horizons are here today!

I could fill a book about the holidays at WDW -- we go every year as it is our family tradition. The CP is performed daily the only thing that is unknown at this point is who will be narrating. I have never had a bad narrator (including John Stamos who just couldn't contain his enthusiasm and missed a couple of passages then had to go back, but it was different and fun for my DD) although Gary Sinese and Felicia Rashad stand out as favorites. Also at Epcot, each country has a storyteller to tell about how they celebrate the holiday.
    The VMCP is wonderful and has so much to do that I would definitely plan on doing the MK for the rides on another day -- you are going at a time of year when the parks aren't all that crowded. MK is beautiful during the day with all the decor but at night it is breathtaking.

Make sure you visit AK as the holiday parade is really great and the decorations and entertainment in Camp Minnie Mickey are alot of fun. The decorations in Dino-land are extrememly tacky and fit in witht he theme of the land.

MGM is fun if you get into the Osborne Lights. We've seen them twice and personally, I don't enjoy the atmosphere -- way to many people crammed into was to little space. But the lights are incredible. Hollywood and Vine is a great buffet restaurant for dinner but they have recently changed character dining there and I'm not sure if that has changed the menu.

Also, make certain that you visit GF, WL, AKL, and CSR to see their decorations. The other delux hotels have great decorations as well but those stand out as spectacular. These hotels also have great dining available so check that out as well.

Check with your hotel when you arrive as during your stay many of the hotels have entertainment themed to the holidays. Also, Santa is at DTD.

My family loved the Luau at Poly my only concern is that it is outdoors and you are going at a time of year that gets quite chilly in the evenings. I would go with O'Hanas, around the time of the Wishes Show at MK. They pipe in the music and you can watch the fireworks from the restaurant.

You are going to be there during the best time of year. Have a blast. Remember, temperatures can go as low as in the 30's and be as high as the 80's so pack things that you can layer.

• Super Old Guy

[quote=MissNanse]I would like to know how everyone feels about Narcossees over the Cal. Grill, Ohanas over the Luau at Poly, where in MGM would you reccommend? any of your favorite places will be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I haven't eaten at Narcossee's, but the California Grill is one of my favorite restaurants on the planet. Incredible view, great food, great service. If you like sushi, they have what they claim is one of the 2 or 3 top sushi artists in the world. I can vouch for her preparation of a California roll - the best I've ever had! The Luau is a fun show with so-so food, while 'Ohana (not Ohana's) is terrific all you can eat. They keep bringing skewers of different meats to your table, and slicing off as much as you can stand. Very filling! There's only one great place in MGM as far as sitdown restaurants go, and that's the Brown Derby.

Enjoy!