2 Questions about Mickey & the Magic Kingdoms

Usually I stick to the Epcot and RoE posts but today I stray for a question I've yet to find good answers to. Alas...

1. Between WDW, TDL, DLP and DLHK, who has the biggest magic kingdom (in terms of size AND capacity? Do all the foreign MKs have utilidors? Is TDL a direct clone of WDW's MK or just the caste? (ok, 1 mulir-part question, don't kill me)

2. Mickey Mouse used to be a character that all ages can appreciate. Now, especially with Clubhouse Mickey, and after the past decade or so, it seems as though TWDC has aimed Mickey solely at children. Does anyone feel this way or am I out from left field? I kinda feel that it bastardizes what Mickey is all about. Now Mickey CANNOT be compared to any other character (Disney or not) ever. Nobody comes close but I will say that when I think of an all-ages character that everyone can enjoy, I think of Shrek. He's cool in his own right but doesn't hold a candle to Mickey.

• Main Street with a friend

Re: 2 Questions about Mickey & the Magic Kingdoms

I don't know about question #1, but I can add my opinion to question #2.

I think Shrek appears as an all ages kind of character because he offers so much adult humor along with being animated and having sides that appeal to kids as well. When I think of Mickey, I don't think adult humor. To me, Mickey is this honest, lovable, fun-loving, and almost innocent character. Today's entertainment seems to be based on everything Mickey isn't, and instead of changing Mickey's personality to appeal to the masses, maybe Mickey is being presented to a younger age group. I, personally, love the fact that Mickey has stayed the same. Like you, I don't think any other character will compare to Mickey. I don't think TWDC is necessarily downplaying Mickey as much as they are trying to create characters that will make a bigger impact right now.

I do see what you are saying. It is sad. I think we all need to change our entertainment focus.....but that's for another day. Great question - it really got me thinking.
    </IMG>

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bluntman
    1. Between WDW, TDL, DLP and DLHK, who has the biggest magic kingdom (in terms of size AND capacity? Do all the foreign MKs have utilidors? Is TDL a direct clone of WDW's MK or just the caste? (ok, 1 mulir-part question, don't kill me)
    Since sealsm answered #2, I'll go for #1...

That would be Tokyo Disneyland Park. It is not a direct clone at all, in fact, it is almost an entirely different layout in terms of infrastructure. And AFAIK, no other Magic Kingdom style park has a real Utilidors system except WDW's MK. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. One was planned for Paris I know, but the budget was cut, and it was never built. WDI doesn't always know what is best.

• Minion

Usually I stick to the Epcot and RoE posts but today I stray for a question I've yet to find good answers to. Alas...

2. Mickey Mouse used to be a character that all ages can appreciate. Now, especially with Clubhouse Mickey, and after the past decade or so, it seems as though TWDC has aimed Mickey solely at children. Does anyone feel this way or am I out from left field? I kinda feel that it bastardizes what Mickey is all about. Now Mickey CANNOT be compared to any other character (Disney or not) ever. Nobody comes close but I will say that when I think of an all-ages character that everyone can enjoy, I think of Shrek. He's cool in his own right but doesn't hold a candle to Mickey.
    Isn't it weird how Disneyland is the smallest in terms of size, yet has the most attractions by far?

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    Isn't it weird how Disneyland is the smallest in terms of size, yet has the most attractions by far?
    That's because for almost 50 years, Disneyland Resort had to stuff any new attractions in that one park. WDW only had about 11 years of just MK. DLRP had 10 years of just DLP. TDR had 18 years of just TDL.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDR Fan
    DL is not the smallest park TDRfan..care to guess again??

TDL is the biggest DL park in terms of acreage and capacity, followed by the MK, DLP, DL and HKDL. As an added bonus...TDL excells in almost everything else as well... Cleanest, best staffed, most entertainment besides rides, only totally covered Main Street just to name a few items. As for utility corridors... I Belive the MK is the only one build that way. The MK is actually a 2nd floor park as the corridors are more at ground level..or so that was the way it was explained to us in Traditions class back in 1981. As for clones....TDL benefits from having the best features from both the MK and CA's DL, and yet, it has a totally unique feeling and layout of it's own. Some of the most apparent sights lifted from the MK are the Castle (of course) and the original classic Tomorrowland 2-tower entrances.. Plaza Cafe and Tomorrowland terrace were also a direct lift from the MK as well as the HM, IASW (which is totally a twin to the MK's but has DL's facade) and Jungle Cruise (in reverse design). TDL also got the best of DL, and got DL's entire New Orleans Square in Adventureland, and Toontown (in reverse design but basically a copy of DL's for the most part). That's just about everything give or take a few items.

While I think the powers that be are marketing Mickey to a mostly children audiences..maybe in the hopes of keeping Mickey alive forever... I do not believe Mickey has lost appeal with grown ups and young adults as well...
    Just take a look at Mickey's popularity around the World... At TDL, adults line up for almost an hour to have their photos taken with him...and similar popularity can be seen at the other parks.. My gripe is that the new Mickey shows are garbage in quality and definitely cheap looking, which I believe damages Mickey (and Disney's) position as the best animated studio ever to produce hand drawn films. As for Shrek.. yes, he may be popular due to his adult sense of humor, but he will never stand to Mickey's heels in raw popularity...IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Since sealsm answered #2, I'll go for #1...

That would be Tokyo Disneyland Park. It is not a direct clone at all, in fact, it is almost an entirely different layout in terms of infrastructure. And AFAIK, no other Magic Kingdom style park has a real Utilidors system except WDW's MK. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. One was planned for Paris I know, but the budget was cut, and it was never built. WDI doesn't always know what is best.
    It's really a hard question to answer. It depends on what you're looking for.

WDW's MK has the most land (107+ acres) inside the train tracks, but a lot of it is backstage space and undeveloped space (mostly between Fantasyland and the rear tracks). Tokyo Disneyland has the most guest space (as Bill says) and the highest capacity. Disneyland Paris is comparable to WDW's MK and Tokyo Disneyland in size but has the most undeveloped space and feels much smaller. Hong Kong DL is very very small but has some of room to expand.

WDW's Magic Kingdom is the only park with a true Utilidor (but Epcot has some tunnels under parts of Future World and DL has two tunnels). No park built in the Eisner era has a utilidor; they were not seen as cost effective. Tokyo Disneyland does not have one because it was built on reclaimed land.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    DL is not the smallest park TDRfan..care to guess again??

TDL is the biggest DL park in terms of acreage and capacity, followed by the MK, DLP, DL and HKDL. As an added bonus...TDL excells in almost everything else as well... Cleanest, best staffed, most entertainment besides rides, only totally covered Main Street just to name a few items. As for utility corridors... I Belive the MK is the only one build that way. The MK is actually a 2nd floor park as the corridors are more at ground level..or so that was the way it was explained to us in Traditions class back in 1981. As for clones....TDL benefits from having the best features from both the MK and CA's DL, and yet, it has a totally unique feeling and layout of it's own. Some of the most apparent sights lifted from the MK are the Castle (of course) and the original classic Tomorrowland 2-tower entrances.. Plaza Cafe and Tomorrowland terrace were also a direct lift from the MK as well as the HM, IASW (which is totally a twin to the MK's but has DL's facade) and Jungle Cruise (in reverse design). TDL also got the best of DL, and got DL's entire New Orleans Square in Adventureland, and Toontown (in reverse design but basically a copy of DL's for the most part). That's just about everything give or take a few items.

While I think the powers that be are marketing Mickey to a mostly children audiences..maybe in the hopes of keeping Mickey alive forever... I do not believe Mickey has lost appeal with grown ups and young adults as well...
    Just take a look at Mickey's popularity around the World... At TDL, adults line up for almost an hour to have their photos taken with him...and similar popularity can be seen at the other parks.. My gripe is that the new Mickey shows are garbage in quality and definitely cheap looking, which I believe damages Mickey (and Disney's) position as the best animated studio ever to produce hand drawn films. As for Shrek.. yes, he may be popular due to his adult sense of humor, but he will never stand to Mickey's heels in raw popularity...IMHO.
    Well, I didn't count HKDL because it's not even complete yet. IMO, the best castle design is Sleeping Beauty Castle in DL and HKDL. There's something about Cinderella Castle that I just don't like. It feels bland to me...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    Well, I didn't count HKDL because it's not even complete yet. IMO, the best castle design is Sleeping Beauty Castle in DL and HKDL. There's something about Cinderella Castle that I just don't like. It feels bland to me...
    I agree... My fav castle designs from best to less... 1) DLP's Chateau (best design and now with the distinction of being the only unique one on Earth.) 2) DL/HKDL (something about great things coming in small packages I guess...), and 3) MK/TDL's... (While Cinderella Castle stands tall and proud as a symbol of the Disney Co. better days, it's also a bit too much of it. Even though it looks smaller at TDL due to the park's HUGE hub and overall expansiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Tokyo Disneyland does not have one because it was built on reclaimed land.
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think TDL not getting one had less to do with the condition of the land than it was more about cost. The MK's utilidor was built at ground level on swampland. Which is why the MK is elevated not and not on ground level, Tokyo could have done the same to the reclaimed land.