Mission: Space...What was I thinking????

Hey Everyone!
    I'm back from my DisneyWorld Vacation of Fun (that was the official name of it of course ) and I had an AMAZING time! Thank you to all who gave me advise for being a first timer. I'd never even been on the East Coast before this trip so it was quite a shock for me. The humidity and bugs drove me crazy! You guys can keep em!

Ok, so i think the worst decision I made while on the trip was going on Mission: Space in Epcot. BLECK!!!
    I can't believe that they have such an intense ride at a Disney park!!!
    Usually I'm fine with motion rides and fast roller coasters and such, but this just blew me away!
    I couldn't get over how disoriented I got after the ride!
    My friend and I knew we were in trouble when we got on the ride and conveniently placed next to each seat were BARF BAGS!!!!
    WHAT????
    Seriously people! If you have any problems with motion sickness AT ALL, STAY AWAY from this ride.

Anybody else expierience part of this magic that they'd like to share???
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: Mission: Space...What was I thinking????

i'm glad you had a good time! i'm really looking forward to our trip.

i think i'm really going to need to try the non-moving M:S before i venture on to the real deal!
    <o>

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I think the biggest problem with Mission:Space is that they convince you that whoever you are and whatever your case may be, you shouldn't ride at all. It all begins with some of the biggest safety signage of ANY ride I've EVER seen, then it's follow by a video that further convinces you that if you step on the attraction, you will regret it. I remember when I rode it the first time, I was so convinced that I was going to hate it because of some sort of tolerance issue, but I just followed what the scary video told me to do (look straight ahead, head back, etc) and I was fine.

Although most would say the ride needs it, if they just toned down the warnings, I think it would be fine. As far as intensity goes, I didn't think it was all THAT bad, but then again, I thought the "zero gravity" part was pretty weak. To me, it felt like they just tilted the pods forward to an extreme. Does anyone know what they actually do during this part of the ride?

• Banned User

They tilt the pods forward just a little bit while reducing speed...

As for Missioneath, it's just a bad ride, with or without the G-forces. The lame version should be worst to experience, since the film itself has no educational or entertaining value without the thrills.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaPrincess
    Hey Everyone!
    I'm back from my DisneyWorld Vacation of Fun (that was the official name of it of course ) and I had an AMAZING time! Thank you to all who gave me advise for being a first timer. I'd never even been on the East Coast before this trip so it was quite a shock for me. The humidity and bugs drove me crazy! You guys can keep em!

Ok, so i think the worst decision I made while on the trip was going on Mission: Space in Epcot. BLECK!!!
    I can't believe that they have such an intense ride at a Disney park!!!
    Usually I'm fine with motion rides and fast roller coasters and such, but this just blew me away!
    I couldn't get over how disoriented I got after the ride!
    My friend and I knew we were in trouble when we got on the ride and conveniently placed next to each seat were BARF BAGS!!!!
    WHAT????
    Seriously people! If you have any problems with motion sickness AT ALL, STAY AWAY from this ride.

Anybody else experience part of this magic that they'd like to share???
    Yes.
    I hated the bugs, too.
    You have to ride M:S at least once, so you can complain about it later. As long as it doesn't kill you (and I wish that were a joke), you'll be a little wiser.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• We're number one!

It's funny because the version we have now is toned down from when I went on it during the Cast Previews. It didn't affect me at all but some of the others I saw coming off the ride didn't seem to be doing too well.

I agree that those who ride the toned down version will be very dissapointing considering the big selling point of Mission Space was the sensation it gave you, not the story.

I love Mission: Space. I think the key is for people to know their limits. I am the type of person that can ride one spinning ride after another and have no problem. Even so, I won't ride Mission: Space twice in a row.

Still, I love the technology the Imagineers were able to bring in this ride. I've seen so many posts about why have a ride this intense at a Disney park? By the same logic, why continue to have the teacups when not every guest is able to handle that ride? I'm glad Disney decided to push the envelope and create a great new experience.

As far as the warnings posted before you get on the ride, yeah, they do seem to almost push you off of the ride, but on the other hand if they didn't, then Disney would be accused of trying to promote the ride to people who shouldn't ride.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I skipped riding this ride because I knew I'd get sick. I get sick riding in the car on a straight road if I try to read a map or focus on anything inside the car for too long. I felt sick riding Star Tours and won't go on it again. I just knew not to try it so my hubby and oldest daughter went while I waited with the younger two daughters.

The humidity and bugs, they are crazy there. Nothing like instantly being damp all over 2 minutes after walking out of the hotel room door, is there? When we were there the last time, it was Lovebug season and those things were everywhere. The whole looking like they have 2 heads thing creeps me out, it always has.

Anyway, glad you had such a fun trip!!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Minion

Glad to hear you had a great time ; bugs , humidity and M:S issues notwithstanding!

Far as M:S goes, I had no problems with it at all. In fact, I thought the Octapuke at Great America was far more intense and that didn't bother me in the least.

• A Cape Cod Lad

we made out first trip to WDW in april 05 (as new DVC members) and on the first night we took our oldest girls (9 and 11) for a walk around EPCOT. when they saw MS they said "oh can we go on that !!!". i didn't really know much about it but had a bad feeling. i said "i think that might be too intense for you guys" (and having almost puked on Body Wars on a previous trip, i knew it was too much for me). but my wife said, "oh it looks like fun, it will be fine".

as we walked through the line and saw all the warnings, my wife said she probably shouldn't go on it because of her back, but that i should take the girls. thanks mum !

so we get into the pod, and within 5 seconds of the ride starting my 9 yr old starts screaming bloody murder. "daddy make it stop, daddy i'm scared, daddy i'm going to get sick". the only thing that kept me from passing out myself was focusing on her and trying to comfort her. she walked off the ride crying and i was naseaus.

needless to say, for the rest of that week and our trip this year my 9 yr old (and me) was limited to peter pan's flight and pooh's ride (although the 11 yr old went on ToT and RRC).

and my wife will never hear the end of it.

anyway, lesson learned. know your comfort/enjoyment zone ! if you have any problem with motion or simulators, stay off those rides. you might think, "oh this one might be ok" but within 5 seconds you will be regretting it and counting the minutes till the ride ends. there are plenty of other things at WDW to keep you busy and happy.

cheers

Cindy Princess, glad you enjoyed your trip, hope to see some pics up soon!! If you think the humididty is bad now come for a visit June-August.

Welcome Capelad, always good to see more Micechatters from my corner of New England.

I really did have a great time. All the other attractions and shows just rocked my socks!
    I knew I'd regret it if I didn't go on M:S so I'm glad I did but now I know what all the talk is about. But i did practice my breathing exercises during that ride.

I will be posting pics soon. I took over 200 while I was there and we only went to Epcot and MK so that tells you how much of a shutter bug I was..hehehehe

I don't think i'll ever get use to that kind of weather. One minute it was pouring rain, 10 minutes later, the sun is out, the skies are blue and you are having to reapply your sunblock???
    My friends and I were joking the whole time that it wasn't raining, the clouds were just sweating on us!

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaPrincess
    I don't think i'll ever get use to that kind of weather.
    I don't think any one could get used to it I hate the humidity, I'd kill for a dry heat in the summer.

You didn't even make a visit to Animal Kingdom or MGM? How long was your trip to WDW?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic
    I don't think any one could get used to it I hate the humidity, I'd kill for a dry heat in the summer.

You didn't even make a visit to Animal Kingdom or MGM? How long was your trip to WDW?
    No, it was a rather short trip this time. Flew in on Monday, Tuesday was Epcot, Wednesday was hangin out in downtown Orlando and enjoying the sights, Thursday was MK and Friday we flew home.

Next time we'll try and pack more in but i have a beach camping trip coming up at the end of June so I didn't want to use up all my vacation in FL.

Like I said on another post...circle rides...like the tea-cups...make me sick. So I guess I am too big a BABY to ride it! I would rather, in this case, do without it and have a good day in the park without feeling as though I was going DOWN after riding MissionSpace. Thanks...I'm going to take your advice.