Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Transportation Dilema

I am flying to Disneyworld this year instead of the 1600 mile marathon road trip the family usually does. We are staying 10 days at Port New Orleans French Quarter and using magical express so we really do not need a car. With the EXCEPTION of spending 2 days at universal. What is the best way to get there???? Can a rental car be delivered to us? or would renting a cab be better? or is there an option I haven't thought about yet. With the exception of getting to Universal we will have no other reason to go off site.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Transportation Dilema

A whole family can ride in a cab unless you have a huge family.

From what I've heard from the locals, insist on a Yellow Cab because the other cabs are shady.

If I remember right there is a place you can rent a car on Disney property, sorry I cannot remember where though. Even if there isn't I think Hertz or Avis can do a delivery service.

National/Alamo has 2 places on property where you can pick up a rental car. One is located at the Dolphin, which you can get to by Disney transportation. There other is a place near the Magic Kingdom.

Since you said 2 days at US, you may want to weigh the cost of renting a car for those 2 days vs. the cost of a shuttle/cab twice.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

I did the Universal trip from AKL...and it cost $35 for two...one way (not including tip.) I met up with a friend who drove us back that night. OK...I am not sure what a rental car will cost you for the day, but I would go for it (you will have the freedom of maybe getting to do some sightseeing on International Drive, a meal or two off-property...etc.) BTW...we got the cab right outside the hotel...not sure what some mean by shady...our driver was fine...but maybe we could have taken the trip for less (I think Mears runs buses?)

I think the key to using cabs in WDW is to have your resort call one for you. That's what we have done.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Banned User

$35 for two? wow that seems high to me but then I haven't gotten a cab in orlando. I didn't think USF was that far from disney.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Probably about 10-15 minutes if you hit traffic. It's about 10 Exits "up" from WDW on I-4.

• Self Congratulative

I've used Mears shuttle before. May people do the same thing in going to Universal so sometimes they have a bus that stops at the resort.

You can leave whenever you want and take a van back to the resort.

I have also rented from Alamo and was pleased.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    $35 for two? wow that seems high to me but then I haven't gotten a cab in orlando. I didn't think USF was that far from disney.
    That's actually pretty low... it's about $50 for me, and I'm closer to Disney than USF is...

For our July 05' trip at POFQ, we simply asked the Guest Services what to do regarding getting a rental car for a day trip to Kennedy SC. They gave us the number, we called and Avis/Hertz asked us what time we'd like to be picked up and they came the next morning and shuttled us to the Car Care Center right near the entrance to the MK. Upon returning the vehicle, they shuttled us back to POFQ, also.

Talk to the folks at Guest Services in the POFQ lobby. They'll be happy to give you help on how to rent a car, call a cab or give you info on Mears shuttle service.

• Done and Gone

Been wondering about this same question. Going from Aug 30 - Sept 10 this year and we are finally going to venture out and try IOA/US and Kennedy SC but the rest of the time will be all disney as before.(Bus Bus Bus) Will probably get a car for a couple of days. Need to do some planning on the Universal Studios side to firm my schedule up. But HAD been wondering about cabs etc. lol

You could always just not go to Universal...

I could easily skip IOA. The prices are 100 bucks plus a person which they think is good because they give you 5 days. I don't need 5 days - 2 is all we need. The main reason for going to IOA is a early grad present for our highschooler. This may be the last real "family" vacation with her and she requested Disney (makes me proud ) and IOA . The little ones could live at Disney for 10 days and be perfectally happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast