Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

TDLFAN's Star Wars weekend/Mission: Space 2 photos

Hello everyone..
    Just got back from D/MGM and EPCOT Center, where I spent a quick couple of hours checking out this year's Star Wars Weekends 2006 event and EPCOT's tamer version of Mission: Death, err.. Space, which I would lovingly like to call "Mission: Chickens in Space". Hahaha!!! I kill myself!!

First up. The geekiest event at WDW since the good old days of the Disneyana Conventions at the Contemporary.. "Star Wars Weekends 2006" Not to be confused with the frumpiest event in Nov or the gayest one next weekend in early June)... And when I say "geekiest" .... I mean it with LOVE since I am the Queen Geek of all things Disney, so look who's talking!!!
    Arrived at MGM in mid afternoon and much to my surprise...the place was not as jammed packed as I expected it. As in previous years... you could not walk inside MGM when the Star Wars fans took over the place but I have to admit, I was shocked today was mildly crowded and not all that unpleasant. Of course.. I have to admit I am not a Star Wars fan and would be the last person to cry if Star Tours was given the pink slip, but today's event was simply low key. I have to admit further the only reason I went was to buy the event limited edition pin and Darth Vader Goofy plush for a friend, otherwise you would not be enjoying this little report. The highlight of the day: seeing Jake Lloyd from Star Wars Episode 1. Little Anakin is now grown up and a manly little man. Hubba Hubba. Short in height and cute as a button, he sat there autograghing away for fans of all ages and sexes. While he will eternally be remember as young Anakin Skywalker, I do hope he is able to shake that off and move on to other things in the entertainment field. Not sure what else he has done, but being as cute as he is... I would not mind seeing him do something else in the field.
    Anyways... the usual stuff around the Studios... some Star Wars fans in character costumes, some of the (Disney-employed) character walkarounds posing with guests, the Jedi Academy show, photo ops with Jedi Mickey and Darth Maul and Vader...etc etc etc.
    Studio Soundstage #1 (the former home to MMC, aka the show that launched Cristina, Justin and that tramp Britney) was transformed in the event's merchandise location. They also had some "pay" photo ops next to an X-Wing craft and other activities.
    After about 45 mins in that area (seemed like most of the Star Wars event was confined to Mickey Ave.) I was bored and left for EPCOT to try the new tamer version of "Mission: Space".

Arriving at EPCOT, the lines at the front were a bit backed up but not as bad as I have seen on other days... and they moved expeditiously enough to be bearable. I headed straight (or gayly forward) towards Mission: Space, and immediatedly noticed the new signage out front by the ride. You are now required to make up your mind which way you'd like to do the ride: Intense or less-intense. If you want the full force version, then you choose to go on the "Orange" line. If you go on the tamer version, then you go on the "Green" line. A CM at the front of the line will ask which version you will ride and will provide you with a leaflet either green or orange in color with more advisories and lawyer-administered cautions. Later on, another CM will grab these leaflets from you and point you in the right direction. PLEASE NOTE: due to the dual ride version availability, the "single rider line" has been *eliminated*. Muahahahaha!!!!! Oh well.

Of course... the tamer version was posting a 5 min wait so I proceeded promptly and was immediately assigned into the briefing room, where we have to endure the Gary Sinese (sp?) spiel about training jada jada... But of course, this being WDW and this not being the perfect place it once was... the Gary intro came to a hault and nothing else happened. We stood there for about another 5 mins before a CM came thru the entrance to tell us they were having "technical difficulties" and would be moving to another briefing room... Bad news though... we had to watch that Gary video once again!!! Luckily, no one slashed their wrists at this point in time. The video has been edited so that new language refering to the tamer version was allowed to be inserted into it.

Anyways... we proceed to the final briefing before getting on the ride...Here, the last briefing video was re-edited and the part in which you are told to keep head against headrest and avoid looking sideways was edited out. From this point on... nothing else was different.

*SPOILERS** SPOILERS*** SPOILERS***

The ride itself remains exactly the same. Nothing in the ride's video has been changed. However.. there is no spinning at all. Yet, the sensation of speed is effectively achieved as the ride's pods tilt, shake and sway the same way they did before. The only difference I noticed was on launch. Seemed to me the pod tilted backwards much farther than it did before, allowing gravity to take over and achieving that "push" feeling we felt in the original version. The sensation of travel and light gravity was still effectively achieved with what was left there from the original version and in all honesty, it did not hamper the enjoyment factor one bit. I was still surprised at how well the ride plays throughout, especially at the ride's climax moments when your craft is about to land on Mars...the "drop" sequence as we decended upon Mars still gave me butterflies in my stomach. KUDOS!!!

Now... final thoughts on this. The ride does loose a bit of thrill without the spinning g-forces, however, the loss is so minimal, it doesn't really matter. I actually wondered for a second why not kill the intense version and leave the tamer version on permanently from this point on, but I realize Disney wants to give the vomit seekers something Universal is better at delivering. So I am OK in regards to living with both versions, and I feel this is one of Disney's best decisions of late to offer a tamer version of the ride.... However, there are still some restrictions to keep in mind. For example, pregnant women are still not allowed to ride the tamer version and I would not advise it either. For people who have hearing problems of are easily prone to dizziness due to ear problems such as ringing noise etc... I would not advise to ride either. Keep in mind that while your body is not being compressed against the seatback, you are still going to feel some "air time" in some portions of the ride.. so be cautions. Just in case, the vomit bags are still there just in case. Use them if you must, but aim away from me if we happen to share a ride...

...And that just about summs up my feelings on this topic.. and because I am nice I am sharing some of the pics I took today for your enjoyment.
    Thanks.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...3&a=32194386&f=

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: TDLFAN's Star Wars weekend/Mission: Space 2 photos

Is this Bobby Ferrett?

That's Jango Fett... Boba (not Bobby - LOL!) Fett's dad.

• Banned User

Thanks, TDLFAN, that's one of the best descriptions of the Green version of Mission Space I've had so far. I'm trying to decide if my daughter, who'll be almost five when we go to WDW in October (and will meet the 44 inch height restriction) will be up for it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I have to agree on the last picture, I always go to Innoventions when I want to be alone. LOL Airconditioning and benches in hideaway places, can't be beat!

Sad though, because Innoventions used to be really great. I will have to spend more time there and see if i am missing something. Nice trip report, I to experienced the "Chicken" run of Mission: Space. I like it as well and I agree with your assessment.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Great trip report & pics! Thanks!!

Jake Lloyd looks a bit like Elijiah Wood.
    <o>

• Senior Minion

Thanks for the report. Interesting how quickly they "adjusted" the Mission: Space

And just where is that stormtrooper going?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    And just where is that stormtrooper going?
    To the restroom I'd suppose since he walked pass me rather quickly.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Speaking of quality control, Jake Lloyd turned into a regular-looking guy when nobody was paying attention. Could have come out worse, like mentally scarred child stars, but I was first suprised by slobbering commentary and then doubly suprised to see that he looks quite plain. I guess just because someone has high theme park standards, their expectations elsewhere may not be quite the same.

Yay for M:S. Loud noises.. Really? They always like to show whole families riding in their own little pod, so is it truly super loud? I have some damn sharp hearing and find myself wearing ear plugs at many rides (including ones that don't have noise notices, such as the gunfight at the Great Movie Ride which really took me by suprise) but figured doing so at MS as it were would be a bad idea, just because as a person with no medical knowledge of the issue I have no idea if I'd be screwing up my inner ear and making myself sick.

• Former Epcot CM

Thank-you Mr FAN! Great photos and a good report as usual, must try out M:S Green this year.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• All you need is LOVE

omg thanks for sharing I love your reports

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    which I would lovingly like to call "Mission: Chickens in Space".
    Sounds appropriate.

PLEASE NOTE: due to the dual ride version availability, the "single rider line" has been *eliminated*. Muahahahaha!!!!! Oh well.

I actually wondered for a second why not kill the intense version and leave the tamer version on permanently from this point on, but I realize Disney wants to give the vomit seekers something Universal is better at delivering.
    And because that is the whole point of the ride. It isn't to make you think you are flying to Mars...it is to make you feel like you are an astronaught in training...and astronaughts get loaded with Gs...I want to be loaded with Gs. It is supposed to be more than Universal offers, and it is. It is an amazing ride. And those who don't like it can say it sucks...but it doesn't. So two versions allow more to expirience it. But to turn off the spinning permanantly would kill the main point of the ride.

And be a big waste of $170 million.

Thanks for the photos though!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    And because that is the whole point of the ride. It isn't to make you think you are flying to Mars...it is to make you feel like you are an astronaught in training...and astronaughts get loaded with Gs...I want to be loaded with Gs. It is supposed to be more than Universal offers, and it is. It is an amazing ride. And those who don't like it can say it sucks...but it doesn't. So two versions allow more to expirience it. But to turn off the spinning permanantly would kill the main point of the ride.

And be a big waste of $170 million!
    I understand your point of view but you must also concider this...Offering dual versions is not going to be a garranty of someone else dying again on this ride. You may have yet another person with an unknown hidden illness choose to ride the intense version and have the same reaction those two other guests did. That as you know, could happen to any one at any age.

But I do like having the option to go intense or tame. However, if it was up to me, I would just install the tamer version exclusively and eliminate the choice, since the tamer version does lower the chances of someone being gravely ill on the ride or dying from it. This is supposed to be an entertaining ride, and not real training, reason why I do not believe things need to be extreme to the point of replicating a true stressful experience on the body.

great report and pics. Me...when I go, my rank will be Captain Chicken. But I am glad there is a version for us fowl out there.

• They wanna know, HO!

Nice pictures of the segways, looks like the i180s and a XT. Nice.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I understand your point of view but you must also concider this...Offering dual versions is not going to be a garranty of someone else dying again on this ride. You may have yet another person with an unknown hidden illness choose to ride the intense version and have the same reaction those two other guests did. That as you know, could happen to any one at any age.
    This isn't to prevent anyone from dying from medical complications, short of giving physicals at the front gate there's nothing they can do to prevent that from happening on MS or RNRC or even Big Thunder. This is to try and boost attendance by tapping the crowd that has walked by it after a glance.

For all I know I may not like ride green either, but now I actually want to try ride green, as I was never going to try ride orange. This gives me a bit of the pavillion to enjoy, instead of a worthless skip-over of a pavillion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast