Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maelstrom info?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Maelstrom info?

I've never been to WDW (though I desperately wish to) and I live in California so I'm really only familiar with Disneyland.

Anyhow I just recently heard that Epcot has Maelstrom (or the "Norwegian" ride), and well, this interests me mostly because of my heritage. I've googled etc., but I'm not finding much info on it. So if any of you could provide opinions, facts, pictures, videos, anything...I'd love to see/read them all

Thanks!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Maelstrom info?

How about a ride through?

You get on your ship, a ladie's voice say "remember there should be no flash pictures on Maelstrom" then you go up the dark lift hill, and a face lights up and an eye shoots light.
    "You are not hte first to pass this way, nor shall you be the last."

and then "Those who seek the spirit of Norway seek peril and adventure, but more often find beauty and charm. The spirit of Norway has aways lived with it's seafarers, so look first to the sea..."
    Then you reach the top and find some AAs at a seaside village. Everything seems happy (no killer vikings).

Then you hear "There are some who see Norway as a land shrouded in mystery, where trolls still prowl the waters edge" and a door opens and a three headed troll curses you, and tells you to begone and sends you "back, back! Over the falls!" and you go backwards down a small drop into an iceberg or glacier area with huge polar bears (and I forget the narration here, sorry)

You pass through the ice and go back out into a forest, you stop and a tree comes to life and curses you again and banishes you to the North Sea. You drop down under an oil rig and come out into a fishing village. The CM says "Welcome back brave Vikings" and you then wait in a cow herd for the doors to the film to open so you can leave.

Its a fun ride.

• Banned User

Personally I would recommend going to Tokyo DisneyResort before going to WDW, simply because as a regular DLR guest (I assume), you own't find the same level of service and quality you get in DLR as opposed to WDW.

As for the Maelstrom Ride... well it is not one of EPCOT's best. You go up in a dark tunnel with some cool light effect, get a very quick glimpse of life in a Vikings' Village (in glow in the dark colors similar to the Fantasyland rides), then you end up in a swampy forrest where a 3-headed troll puts a curse on you, causing your boat to ride backwards down a small slide and then into a very quick polar scene with polar bears, thru a small tunnel to emerge into a scenic mountain view.. You boat then is catapulted forward down a water silde similar to POTC's and then you end up at the bottom of what looks like a giant drilling platform in the ocean. Then the ride quickly ends. To get out of ther ride building, you have to wait for a 5 minute infomercial about Norway's people, which most people shamelessly walk out of even before the show begins.

This is only my opinion of course, but Maelstrom is highly overrated and I didn't care for this ride from the very first time I rode it during previews years ago. However, if you must absolutely have a reason to go to WDW... then do it to see Animal Kingdom. That is sure a nice park to enjoy.

• Meega, nala kwishta!!

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    How about a ride through?

You get on your ship, a ladie's voice say "remember there should be no flash pictures on Maelstrom" then you go up the dark lift hill, and a face lights up and an eye shoots light.
    "You are not hte first to pass this way, nor shall you be the last."
    He had one eye right? I believe that's Odin.

I didn't have as many photos as I thought.

Here is the village at the top of the lift:

Here is the entrance marquee:

The waterfall from outside (inside this is where the boats meet the tree just before the drop:

• We're number one!

It's a short ride. Not Epcot's best but I still would recommend you give a try when if you go. My favorite part is when you go backwards.

Dissappear! Dissappear!

• Meega, nala kwishta!!

It's also a good ride if you want to see a hundred creepy trolls that haunt you in your sleep.

• Banned User

I have seen more scary tourists in line for the ride over the Trolls, which I find cute.

Another thing to look for... In the boarding platform and main queue area, there is a huge mural of Norway... look for the viking wearing a Mickey ears hat in the viking ship.

• Main Street with a friend

The WDW Maelstrom Page has a mini video about the ride, although it doesn't really seem to give you a good idea of what the ride is about. I've only ridden the Maelstrom three times, but basically it is a mild boat ride with one drop focused around Norweigan folklore and trolls. I think you somehow tick the trolls off and they punish you by sending you backwards over the falls....the drop is cool because you go down backwards. You end up escaping the evil trolls and end up in this really cool fishing village, where the ride ends. Everyone exits onto the dock of this village, and then you are moved into a theater where they show an informative video about Norway. The first two times I rode the ride, I walked through the theater and didn't stay for the film. The third time I decided to stay, and found out that the film is pretty decent. It shows a lot of really pretty scenery.

I'm not a "thrill" rider, so this ride is about my speed. You learn a little history, you float by some funky trolls, it's cool. Also, the boats are shaped like the viking ships.

I found another link about the ride at this site. This seems to be about the ride construction, which might be up your alley. I hope this helps!
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

Wrong part of the mural for the Mickey...but here is part of it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    This is only my opinion of course, but Maelstrom is highly overrated and I didn't care for this ride from the very first time I rode it during previews years ago. However, if you must absolutely have a reason to go to WDW... then do it to see Animal Kingdom. That is sure a nice park to enjoy.
    I must whole-heartedly agree. I was horribly unimpressed with Maelstrom. I even made the foolish mistake of waiting in line 30 minutes before World Showcase fully opened.

While others may lament the quality of this attraction, I prefer to see the glass half full. After all, Norway could have been another pavillion with a store, a restaurant and a film. While its much shorter, I'd choose Maelstrom over El Rio de Tiempo any day. Four trolls, two drops...Puffins! What's not to like?

Having said that, I wish they had not gone with the flourescent paint in the fishing village.

In addition, I must respectfully disagree with TDLFAN. By both his accounts and from what I've seen on the web, TDR is, by far, the ultimate Disney experience. So I would suggest that you go to WDW first and save that spectacular experience for "dessert."
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

Blog Entries

Personally Maelstrom is one of my favorite rides. I loved it as a kid when we rode it about 15 times in a row due to horrible rain outside and I highly enjoyed it this year when I rode it for the first time in a long time again.

It's not what it should have been as it was to be a wonderful ride before the budget got slashed, but aside from the horrible film at the end, the ride is quite fun and enjoyable for a dark ride experience to me. It's much much better than El Rio De Tempo and at least there is a ride there which is much more than can be said for the rest of World Showcase. I still don't understand why WS starts out with two rides side by side and then you don't get another one at all. At least they could have put those two pavilions on opposite sides of the park so the rides would be spread out a bit.

I found another link about the ride at this site. This seems to be about the ride construction, which might be up your alley. I hope this helps![/quote]

Thanks for this link. An insightful and interesting read. This is the kind of info that keeps me coming back to Miceage.

Smile Re: Maelstrom info?

I have been at EPCOT a few times and guests have called the ride "The Nordstrom Ride". What do they think they are going to go on a ride that takes them through a Department Store?? <G> Maybe at the end they can buy shoes or some new clothing <G> Ah..the things guests say! Sometimes they are better entertainment than the attraction you are on!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast