Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

MK vs DL: MickeyMania Edition

It seems like anyone who goes to both of these parks are bound to compare them, so with the impressions fair in my mind, here goes.

Atmosphere: DL's atmosphere is quaint but could be better. MK's atmosphere is cloning Disneyland, so there's one clear winner. Advantage DL.

Attractions: MK has the better train, treehouse, Splash, Pooh, BTMRR, and TSI. DL has better Tikis, Jungle Cruise, Mansion, Pirates (well, formerly), Fantasyland rides, Buzz, and Autopia.

Here's an opinion sure to stir up some controversey: Although DL's Space is smooth as butter, I like MK's old beat-up one more. So which park is really better depends on what kind of ride you like. I will say that DL seems to be really missing something without Pirates running, and I imagine MK must feel like it's missing even more.

This is going to sound like utter treason to some people, but I have to give a tie here attractions-wise just because while most of MK's missing attractions are scattered all over the rest of WDW, MK has a lot of nice ones that aren't at DLR anywhere for now. I'll take PhilharMagic and Peoplemover and Carousel and even Stitch any day over Storybookland and Alice and canoes and the Indy Adventure (which I don't enjoy, although I admit there's a lot of scenery that's very well done.)

Maintenance: Well, duh. You'll find burnt-out bulbs if you squint at either of these places but DL doesn't have anything as badly malfunctioning as the MK Mansion at the moment. Advantage: DL

Food: This could be won on the Blue Bayou's strength alone, but I don't eat fancy meals in the park but at mid-priced and even at greasy spoon level, DL decimates the dining at MK. Whether you're eating along the river at Hungry Bear or admiring the interior design at Plaza Inn, things are clearly superior. Advantage: DL

Cast: Folks, there's no way to dance around it: the cast at DL is way, way below the standards set by casts from the past 20 years. Entertainers still give it their all, but the other departments are riddled with poor service. Whereas cast at WDW still manage to make warm smiles when you imagine they must be tired of it, DL CMs will commonly give a moment's big cheesy grin followed immediately grumpy look. I had one memorable moment of bad service at the MK (and only one more in the entire WDW complex, btw) but numerous of only two days visiting DL. And the park was nowhere near as crowded and stressed as the Thanksgiving 99 weekend I last visited on. Some people are quite apologetic about it all, but few people are doing their jobs correctly and efficiently.

I'm not going to say this is purely training alone and ignore the issues about salarly, California costs of living, and the fact that DL is simply picking the people they can get instead of the people they want. But to the visitor all that becomes unimportant, so as a visitor I must give the win to MK here.

Entertainment: DL has the better Fantasmic and a slightly better daytime parade, but I'll give it to MK for having less obstructive streetmosphere (for instance, I'll take those banjo guys in MK's Frontierland over the comedy show in DL's that draws a big crowd right at a choke point) and a night-time parade. Also, MK has a heck of an easier time clearing out the park after a fireworks show.

Custodial: I'm mixed on this one. The MK is swarmed with birds but DL is not, so DL should win right there. However, the other WDW parks aren't swarmed which leads me to believe it's not a reflection on WDW cleanliness on the whole. Is there something special being served at MK not found elsewhere in WDW? Until then, bathrooms and trash are both as clean, so tie.

Overall: DL wins out by just a nudge which I feel is appropriate. A larger problem not reflected here is that if you're particularly feeling commandoish, the entire DLR highlight reel can be done in two days and then you're wandering around wondering what to do. WDW can keep you entertained for a week even if you're a cheapskate and don't feel like doing the numerous tours and pay-to-play experiences.

A west VS east thread is so difficult because it's hard to compare the two parks without the rest of WDW (other parks, beautiful hotels, isolated setting, etc) coming into play and outweighing the favor for the MK. I would say that DL is slightly better, but depending on the day (climate, attendance, etc) I'd gladly choose to spend the day at MK instead.

A full-size trip report will eventually appear in the DL forum where it belongs.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 05-31-2006 at 08:46 PM.

• Banned User

Re: MK vs DL: MickeyMania Edition

Thanks for sharing your opinions, but I still regards DLR much highly over WDW in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Thanks for sharing your opinions, but I still regards DLR much highly over WDW in every respect.
    Whoa, careful now. I think even the most hardcore DL fan would have to admit that DL doesn't hold candles up to the entire WDW complex as a whole. The design philosophy (isolation, size, free space, ample transportation, etc) is simply superior no matter what the circumstances are for it.

If that's really the way you feel, fair enough, but things most would agree that things outside DL (with an exception for the GCH) are the kind of things you expect from a regional mall or park. WDW, at the least, tries and fails to be world-class. I wouldn't say the DLR complex, outside of DL, even makes an honest try.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Actually, I prefer DLR over WDW.

Really? Because I finally got to go try Californialand, and it feels like a state fair, and in some especially bad places, a county fair.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Whoa, careful now. I think even the most hardcore DL fan would have to admit that DL doesn't hold candles up to the entire WDW complex as a whole. The design philosophy (isolation, size, free space, ample transportation, etc) is simply superior no matter what the circumstances are for it.
    I don't rate my Disney experience based on size of the resorts or transportation issues (and trust me, I have quite a few issues about that particular aspect of WDW).... I rate my Disney experience based on quality of show, maintenance, CM disposition, cleanliness, and overall atmosphere. Guess what! IMHO... DLR is hands down the winner. Size be darned... The bigger they are, the harder they fall.... reason why WDW fails to meet my expectations in some of those areas over the other FOUR Disney resorts Worldwide.

Okay, well, pardon me if I don't think DCA is better at show, CM disposition, or atmosphere(!!) over any ONE of the WDW parks, let alone all three.

Seriously, TDLFAN, have you been to DL since the casting crisis has reached a fever pitch? It's seriously impacting the guest experience in every department (Operations, Foods, Merch, you name it) except for Entertainment, where they still seem to be able to draw in people who WANT to pretend they're in a show.

EDIT: Oops, typo.
    EDIT 2: Whoops, double-negative.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I don't rate my Disney experience based on size of the resorts or transportation issues (and trust me, I have quite a few issues about that particular aspect of WDW).... I rate my Disney experience based on quality of show, maintenance, CM disposition, cleanliness, and overall atmosphere. Guess what! IMHO... DLR is hands down the winner. Size be darned... The bigger they are, the harder they fall.... reason why WDW fails to meet my expectations in some of those areas over the other FOUR Disney resorts Worldwide.
    I really think easy of getting around should be a part of the Disney experience. That's why Disney brags about the hub (which seems to be disappearing from thought).

I guess I just don't feel as "at home" at WDW.

• Banned User

Last time I visited DLR was in July. I do not know if cast morale or staffing has deteriorated since. But regardless... DLR will always be a much better experience over WDW's expansive mess.

• Banned User

WDW is just "too" big.

I think DL will always be the winner of all Disney parks due to three things:
    1) Was the park that started it all
    2) It's smaller in size, so it has a cozy feel unlike WDW's monsterous size
    3) Walt actually walked through DL and DL has traces of that- Firehouse apartment, Disney Gallery, etc. (And DL day-time/night-time shows [from what I've heard] are better than WDW's shows)

• Banned User

Okay, well, pardon me if I don't think DCA is better at show, CM disposition, or atmosphere(!!) over any ONE of the WDW parks, let alone all three.

Seriously, TDLFAN, have you been to DL since the casting crisis has reached a fever pitch? It's seriously impacting the guest experience in every department (Operations, Foods, Merch, you name it) except for Entertainment, where they still seem to be able to draw in people who WANT to pretend they're in a show.

I know the casting section right now for Disney(land) isn't that great - but the CMs in DL are still very polite, kind, and helpful. Youa ctually really don't notice anything wrong, even though I know Disney is jipping them (which makes me really upset).

• Banned User

Really? Because I finally got to go try Californialand, and it feels like a state fair, and in some especially bad places, a county fair.
    I beginning to think you just don't like the DLR at all.

DCA needs work, but I would never call it a county fair. It's getting better, trust me, it is. HPB is coming along nicely - Disney just needs to keep adding and fixing their screwups with that park (like they have been doing).

• Banned User

If that's really the way you feel, fair enough, but things most would agree that things outside DL (with an exception for the GCH) are the kind of things you expect from a regional mall or park. WDW, at the least, tries and fails to be world-class. I wouldn't say the DLR complex, outside of DL, even makes an honest try.
    Napa Rose? Storytellers Cafe?

I do not understand why you created this thread if you are only going to argue with the persons who disagree with what you are saying. I find the whole theory that Disneyland cast member's are rude to be a bunch of bologna. When I visited in February, all of them were very nice and the ones who worked in the Main Street stores were very pleasant and tried to have a conversation with you.

Maintenance at Disneyland also beats the Magic Kingdom hands down. Face it, the Magic Kingdom certainly doesn't look as fantastic as it could be. California Adventure even beats out the Magic Kingdom with maintenance on their rides and buildings. The Magic Kingdom still has the outdated Fantasyland while Disneyland received a complete overhaul of theirs in the 80's.

Plus, I do not understand the logic you used when deciding which park had better entertainment. Disneyland has better entertainment but since it was situated on a small walkway it automatically loses? That just doesn't make sense to me.

In my opinion, both parks are very nice but Disneyland certainly beats out the Magic Kingdom in standard maintenance and cleanliness. Even your attractions list seems flawed, sure Magic Kingdom has some unique attractions but Disneyland has more and you end it in a tie. In my personal opinion, I think you're just trying to give both parks equal wins just to make the race closer in the end.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius

California Adventure even beats out the Magic Kingdom with maintenance on their rides and buildings.
    BINGO!! I agree! I made the same comments to my partner when we went to DCA last July... Every corner we turned, it was like me sounding like a broken record... "WOW! DCA sure is better maintained and cleaner than the MK!!"

When I visited in February, all of them (cast members) were very nice and the ones who worked in the Main Street stores were very pleasant and tried to have a conversation with you.
    BINGO AGAIN!!! I have never gotten the same genuine interest to be friendly and helpful from the vast majority of the WDW cast. So, I agree with you again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast