Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Actually, the rights to Indy (and Star Wars) belongs to Lucasfilm. Basically Lucas made the movies, and Paramount (or Fox) distributed them, that is they made the copies of the movie, sent it to all the theaters, printed the posters, etc... in exchange for a percent of what the movie makes. Lucas negotiates all the theme park rights, the toys, etc... and he made nice with Disney. And if you had a premiere film franchise, which company would you want your rides in?

Just look at how many possibilites with DC comics superheroes would have for awesome rides, instead you get rollercoasters named after superheroes at Six Flags. Yes, Batman and Superman are great coasters... but there is only so much "story" you can put into a coaster of that sort... like "You;re flying, and Superman flys, so... it's a Superman ride!"

Just my $0.02 on that issue though...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Roman
    Actually, the rights to Indy (and Star Wars) belongs to Lucasfilm. Basically Lucas made the movies, and Paramount (or Fox) distributed them, that is they made the copies of the movie, sent it to all the theaters, printed the posters, etc... in exchange for a percent of what the movie makes. Lucas negotiates all the theme park rights, the toys, etc... and he made nice with Disney. And if you had a premiere film franchise, which company would you want your rides in?

Just look at how many possibilites with DC comics superheroes would have for awesome rides, instead you get rollercoasters named after superheroes at Six Flags. Yes, Batman and Superman are great coasters... but there is only so much "story" you can put into a coaster of that sort... like "You;re flying, and Superman flys, so... it's a Superman ride!"

Just my $0.02 on that issue though...

Good Points, after all where would you want to hear HARRY POTTER: THE RIDE is opening, Six Flags or Disney?

Doubtful Disney would license the franchise from Warner or that WB would have any interest in letting them develop it. But after all, the majority of new Disney hit movie based attractions are licensed from CBS/Amblin/Pixar/LucasFilm not based on actual Walt Disney Pictures or Touchstone titles.

• Banned User

i wonder did J.K. Rowling happen to include in the movie rights the attraction rights.. or can disney aquire them seperately... based on the books...

• Banned User

From what I've seen, J.K. does still own the rights to the attractions, but Time Warner has limited attraction rights to showcase the movie production and such. And as far as Disney goes... there have been rumors, some I can confirm myself.

For example, a confirmed rumor that IS true is that someone was spoted in Epcot talking on a cell phone about how he needed his "Harry Potter Ride Storyboards" done by Monday. Michael Eisner was in the park that day as well.

Another confirmed rumor is that the former head of Universal Orlando once mentioned in a press conference that Disney had Potter "wrapped up."

What is NOT confirmed:

WB has the rights for the theme parks to build an attraction based on the movie itself rather than the making of the movie.

Disney has rights for the attractions already... it just may be in a "talks" phase.

Disney planned Harry Potter for the 20,000 Leagues lagoon space in WDW's MK or in the UK at Epcot, or anywhere at AK or Studios.

So, since we don't know much real stuff about it, let's just leave it as it is. A rumor, nothing more.

• Jaded CM

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants
    So i'm sure everyone has heard the rumor that the Indy stunt show will be replaced with a Indy Adventure (from Disneyland) clone, but supposedly better. This is supposed to happen after Lights, Motors, Cars Exploding (hehe) is up and running for awhile. So what're your thoughts on it?
    First, there are rumors about Indy cutting shows, but not dropping the show. Partly due to the crowding issue you bring up later. It'd leave that corner of the park heavy.
    Next, there is not the physical space to build the building to house the ride. There is a cast road right behind Indy currently and the parking lot is right behind that. They do not have sufficient parking during peaks as it is. They can't start building out into the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants
    I think it's a good idea, for a number of reasons. The first argument most likely to hear is that "Disney World is stealing another attraction from Disneyland!" I'm putting a veto in that argument right now! It's the same company. And it's a great ride. Let the easterners have it.
    Thank you for this. The endless "we/they, you/us stole" posts.... Everyone should realize that every ride starts at WDI in Glendale. They design and build the rides in CA, in FL, in Tokyo, in Paris, and now Hong Kong. The same design teams build the rides everywhere in the world. It is the park management who is the client that decides to either pay for a new ride design or not. And that decision goes back up to corporate for approval (or comes down from them).

• Minion FOREVER!

Thank you for this. The endless "we/they, you/us stole" posts.... Everyone should realize that every ride starts at WDI in Glendale. They design and build the rides in CA, in FL, in Tokyo, in Paris, and now Hong Kong. The same design teams build the rides everywhere in the world. It is the park management who is the client that decides to either pay for a new ride design or not. And that decision goes back up to corporate for approval (or comes down from them).
    Yes, but root problem that I see is the funding and management priorities w/in Disney Co, not
    the Imagineers in WDI. BTW. TDR is out of that picture, because that funding comes
    from OLC (hence, the vast improvement in quality and maintenance over the
    other parks).

I just don't see MGM (even w/ the overcrowing in the ToT-RnR corner) as
    having problem that is a priority over what DCA is like or how
    DL hasn't had a major *new* ride in over ten years. (until Buzz I guess).

BTW. building a new ride in the opposite corner won't resolve the overcrowding
    problem at ToT-RnR. You'll just attract more people into the park.

Anyway, completely my two cents....

• Fastpass Hater

When will MGM become a full day park? I think an Indy ride is another big step to get there. MGM always seems to close at 7:00 when I'm in Florida, granted I'm usually there in October, March, and May, but I think MGM will never be a full day park until they justify staying open to 9:00pm on a consistant basis.

I think they have way too many shows and not enough actual rides. I've been going there since they opened and I rarely go see the Indy show anymore.

Star Tours? Way outdated, I laugh now when I go on now. Star Wars special effects have changed so much since they made this ride. Why did they ever install fastpass at this thing?

Great Movie Ride? I used to like this ride, seems pretty outdated now, especially that Touchstone Pictures "highlight reel" at the end.

Backlot Tour? Old and outdated to me. Thank goodness they tore down residential street. Did anyone really want to see the Golden Girls house anymore? It was cool in 1989... And how many times can I see Catastrophe Canyon?

I love the MuppetVision, I always think I'm not going to like it as much each time I see it, but its always pretty good to me.

TOT and RNR? Two of my favorite rides, great additions to MGM

What else is there? Even if Indy gets added, they have a lot more work. Maybe the Monsters Inc. ride thats set for California Adventure? Whats wrong with adding some cheezy dark rides?

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by cubsd
    Blu-ray IS superior to HD-DVD, just like Betamax was superior to VHS. Which one won out?
    Warner Brothers, Universal, New Line Cinema, and Paramount are all going with HD-DVD. That leaves Sony and Disney on Blu-ray.
    Blu-ray is the favorite for computer makers, but most people still watch DVDs in a player, not on their computer.
    HD-DVD has 85 different titles that will be released before years end, including "Batman Begins", The Harry Potter series, and "Braveheart".
    Blu-ray MAY have some titles available in 2005, but most likely 2006.
    20th Century Fox is a member of the Blu-Ray association as well.
    There is no doubt that most, if not all, Blu-Ray players for a long time will be DVD compatible. Neither side is going to kill themself with that issue.

It should be interesting to see what happens, especially with Sony reaching out to try to get Toshiba and the HD-DVD group to work with them on a universal standard before things become too much of a mess.

My understanding is, that from a production standpoint, HD-DVD is a very simple change/cheap from DVD production, therefore the change over should be quick. Blu-ray requires a new infrastructure.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yensid TlaW
    Great Movie Ride? I used to like this ride, seems pretty outdated now, especially that Touchstone Pictures "highlight reel" at the end.

What else is there? Even if Indy gets added, they have a lot more work. Maybe the Monsters Inc. ride thats set for California Adventure? Whats wrong with adding some cheezy dark rides?
    Maybe DCA and Disney MGM both need to develop attractions that would work in both parks...

My idea is send the Great Movie Ride to CA to pay tribute to the history of the movies, since it's been running for so long already in FL and everybody's seen it over there. Then you can build a Hyperion East, and run the sort of shows that DCA does. The Hyperion at DCA is really a very high capacity theater, I dont think it'll be torn down because of the investment they put into it. So that means DCA will keep doing live shows in there, so after Aladin's run is through, they can develop them for both parks or move the productions back and forth... run Aladin in FL and make a new show for CA, then send that one to FL and so forth.

Meanwhile, develop some cool rides that can work for DCA or D-MGM. Pretty much any thing that's developed after a movie franchise would work in either park, not just the Hwood Pictures Backlot at DCA.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrone
    Exactly, in effect WDI sells a ride like Splash Mtn to DLR, WDI is in charge of designing and building it, but when it's done, they turn over the keys and it's Disneyland's baby. Good explanation by the way.

Basicly each resort has to budget for their own capital improvements and when they see some candy on the shelf, they can scrounge up some pennies...

Ooooh, are those the plans to Disney Sea? We could build that here in FLORIDA....

• Fastpass Hater

My idea is send the Great Movie Ride to CA to pay tribute to the history of the movies, since it's been running for so long already in FL and everybody's seen it over there.
    I love that idea. The only problem is it would probably have to be an abbreviated version since the GMR takes up so much space.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yensid TlaW
    I love that idea. The only problem is it would probably have to be an abbreviated version since the GMR takes up so much space.
    Actually I was thinking they could add a few new scenes... make it longer even.

It should really be set up to show the different genres and periods of movie history, and include more DISNEY and also more recent movies.

They can use up as much of the TIMON Parking Lot as they need.

Or better yet, make it underground like Pirates (keeps the AA's cool) and build a New Orleans Square type area of shops and restaurants on top of it.

• The one, the only...

Thumbs down I disagree on Indy

Hello!! Doesn't anyone realize that Indiana Jones is anchient history!! The films were first done in the 1980's. Harrison Ford is a senior citizen now! DMS needs a fresh new attraction maybe like the Indiana Adventure at Disneyland, but not something based on this film. They aren't making any more Indy films any more, people! The series is like a worn out tire. The reason people are growing tired of the Indy show at DMS because it recreates scenes from a movie that they have all watched a dozen times on their DVD at home!! Do we have to use a 30 year old idea? Come on! When I was growing up inte the 70's, if someone were to install a ride from the 40's I would have laughed!! There must be some new ideas or movies to feature at DMS!! Have there been no good adventure movies since the early 90's?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Hello!! Doesn't anyone realize that Indiana Jones is anchient history!! The films were first done in the 1980's. Harrison Ford is a senior citizen now! DMS needs a fresh new attraction maybe like the Indiana Adventure at Disneyland, but not something based on this film. They aren't making any more Indy films any more, people! The series is like a worn out tire. The reason people are growing tired of the Indy show at DMS because it recreates scenes from a movie that they have all watched a dozen times on their DVD at home!! Do we have to use a 30 year old idea? Come on! When I was growing up inte the 70's, if someone were to install a ride from the 40's I would have laughed!! There must be some new ideas or movies to feature at DMS!! Have there been no good adventure movies since the early 90's?
    Hmmm... I take it that you haven't heard the news?

I agree that the last movie came out in the '89 and that Harrison Ford is technically
    a senior citizen, but number four is coming out. Indiana Jones is definitely not
    "ancient history".

Spielberg Films on Indy 4

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Actually, copmared to the Indiana Jones movies, there really hasn't been any good adventure movies since the early 90's. Atleast none that stand out as legendary as Indy. Though i highly agree with the thought that the stunt show is just recreated scenes yuo can watch at home. After the first time i watched the stunt show, i never had urge to see it again when i could just watch the awesome movies. An Indy ride would work because relaly the only thing related to the movie is the Indy character. The DIsneyland Indy isn't based on any particular movie. It just has the rolling boulder from Raiders. That's about it. Base it on a movie, you can still get a fresh product.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast