Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

MGM Studios Futue

So I've read through all these wonderful suggestions. Here is my take if you don't mind. If Disney does indeed have the Potter attraction rights, it should definitely go in the Studios. It just makes sense. The Magic Kingdom is the "Disneyest" of all the parks and should contain only Disney movies, IMO. I know that doesn't fly with DL or DLP. Also a new Indiana Jones ride would fit in nicely with the Stunt Spectacular or even replacing it. Just because there is a castmember access road behind the stunt spectacular, doesn't mean it can't be moved. Look what they did with the road coming from the Magic Kingdom when the Racetrack was built; it moved over a bit. I don't think there should be too much concern over the parking lot. Remember that Disneyland Resort has the beautiful parking structure, not that there isn't land beyond the parking lot to expand.

To make this a true full day park I would definitely renovate the Great Movie Ride. This attraction celebrates the movies and should continue to be the premier attraction (everything doesn't have to be about thrills). Also, move that darn Hat out of the way and into the entrance area outside the park as a draw. The Chinese Theatre is a beautiful building. Don't hide it.

Since Disney has the rights to the Muppets, I would suggest dusting off the moth balls of the Great Muppet Movie Ride, which would be a great contrast to the original movie ride. Add a children's type ride (e.g., Dumbo style) in the area also.

As with Star Tours, updating it would bring a huge amount of people to the attraction. There have been three movies since it opened, technology has changed. It would also be a good idea to expand the area to include an eating establishment. How about a photo place so you can dress up like your favorite character.

While we're on the subject of moth balls, Disney should really consider adding the Dick Tracy attractions area. If there truly is room over on Sunset Blvd, then build it. The theming is there already, go for it. Change the entrance to RnR through the animation end as it has the same look (studio building). That would help alleviate the traffic problem down Sunset Blvd.

Finally, something needs to be added over by the new LMA show. Too bad a Hyperion Theatre cannot be erected. Then they could bring back my favorite show, Hunchback of Notre Dame. They could even bring Aladdin from DCA.

If Disney would only bring back the wonderful animators into their own building again. Life would be sweet.

So many other thoughts, but this post is getting too long. What do you think?

• Banned User

Dick Tracy could work but in a few more years untill people forget how bad the movie was...

I agree with mupets..

(and moving the service road.. heck you cross one heading for Fantasmic...)

Not completely sure about Harry.. but it could work...

But does MGM need another parking garage.. their is one backstage next to the animation.... is there enough room there for the employees to park in there and remove employee parking??

I think you have the wrong side of the park. Fantasmic's back is the waterway from Boardwalk area, right? I was talking on the other side of the park by Indiana Jones and the Water Tower.
    I meant to put a parking structure in the parking lot to make up for any land lost to expansion of the park.
    As for Harry Potter, I don't think the MK is hurting for attractions or ideas for new ones. The Studios and AK are in dire need. Potter to the Studios and Narnia to AK. Bring on the Dragon land and the fantasy animals. (off subject, sorry).
    I know there have been a few stories floating around the web about Dick Tracy and Muppet "lands."
    My gosh, if necessary, do what DSP is doing by adding Toon Studios...where the toons go to work. There needs to be a big draw. It's no longer the working studio Eisner and Wells envisioned.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Herc
    I think you have the wrong side of the park. Fantasmic's back is the waterway from Boardwalk area, right? I was talking on the other side of the park by Indiana Jones and the Water Tower.
    I meant to put a parking structure in the parking lot to make up for any land lost to expansion of the park.
    As for Harry Potter, I don't think the MK is hurting for attractions or ideas for new ones. The Studios and AK are in dire need. Potter to the Studios and Narnia to AK. Bring on the Dragon land and the fantasy animals. (off subject, sorry).
    I know there have been a few stories floating around the web about Dick Tracy and Muppet "lands."
    My gosh, if necessary, do what DSP is doing by adding Toon Studios...where the toons go to work. There needs to be a big draw. It's no longer the working studio Eisner and Wells envisioned.
    First of all, i love your ideas. I mean seriously, you put thought into this and you know what you're talking about. The only part where i would just disagree a smidgen is about Harry Potter. I dunno, but Potter doesn't seem very Disney-ish to me. But at the same time, if it did happen, I wouldn't throw a fit and yell "Blashpemy!" I'd welcome it with open arms. As for Narnia in AK...that would be incredible. ANd your idea of moving the entrance of RnR to the studio area is awesome! It'd be so easy and work so well! But yuo mentioned another ride down that way on Sunset Blvd. Is it true that there really is room for another good sized ride down there? Excellent work!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    With that logic about old rides, Snow White's Scary Adventures and Peter Pan's Flight should be closed down and gutted as well. Those movies, they're soo old!
    Well Mr Toad met his fate when he was squashed like roadkill for POOH.

I'm surprised its lasted so long in DL, I hope it never gets yanked for a PIXAR ride.

• Jaded CM

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Dick Tracy could work but in a few more years untill people forget how bad the movie was...

(and moving the service road.. heck you cross one heading for Fantasmic...)

But does MGM need another parking garage.. their is one backstage next to the animation.... is there enough room there for the employees to park in there and remove employee parking??
    Doesn't anyone remember there was a Dick Tracy show at MGM in the early years? They took it away. I never saw it and I have worked there forever. If it was taken away for budget, none of it will ever come back.

The parking garage next to the defunct Animation building used to house the animators and other top managers for the park. The cast does not fit there even now that the animators are gone. Now they are moving more managers into the Animation building who will use that structure. Another structure would be highly welcome.
    And yes the central guest courtyard of Fantasmic! is laying across an access road. Guests use that road to enter if they're on the dinner package and for exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants
    The only part where i would just disagree a smidgen is about Harry Potter. I dunno, but Potter doesn't seem very Disney-ish to me. But at the same time, if it did happen, I wouldn't throw a fit and yell "Blashpemy!" I'd welcome it with open arms. But yuo mentioned another ride down that way on Sunset Blvd. Is it true that there really is room for another good sized ride down there? Excellent work!

Well Thanks for the nice words. I love WDW and the Studios. Don't get me wrong about Potter, I've read things (jimhillmedia and other places) that Disney has the attraction rights. Strange how ABC has shown Sorceror's Stone (had bonus footage of Azkeban) and is about to show Chamber of Secrets (with bonus footage of Goblet of Fire). Maybe there is a tie in with those rights with Disney. Who knows. When you say that Potter doesn't seem very Disneyish, what about Star Wars? It's not Disneyish at all, but the attraction has been one of the most popular as well as the huge success of Star Wars Weekends.

As for room down at the Sunset Blvd end, I read somewhere there was. Still have no clue where. If you are driving and coming out of the Boardwalk area, ToT is in front of you, which means that RnR is to the right of that. Maybe there is room to the left of TOT, but to me, that ends up in the area of the BATB show and the long walkway to Fantasmic. But where there is a will (or money) there is a way.

I know that it is probably a little late for Dick Tracy, but the look and feel of the movie screams Disney. Especially with the time period of both Hollywood and Sunset Blvds.

The Disney-MGM Studios was a wonderful park that has been so ruined, I just spent a week in Orlando and didn't even set foot in it once. It's just sad to see ... no real tour, no unique shops, the most beautiful building obscured by a tacky hat, an animation studio with no animators, cheap kiddie attractions like Playhouse Disney or short thrills like RnRC. There are two great things left at MGM -- Tower and Brown Derby.

• Minion

ORDDU: Oooooooooh, WDW1974, duckling! My sisters and I so-o-o-o-o agree with you! We also miss a few other things--like the former Monster Sound Stage that was displaced by that monstrosity of a Drew Carey thing.

ORWEN: And don't forget how they took Super Star Television away from us--only to have the building sit there empty most of the time--using it only for special events these days.

ORGOCH: Plus the way they went and shorted Voyage a the Li'l Meter Maid...

ORWEN: (That's Voyage of The Little Mermaid, for those who don't know Orgoch-speak.)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I thought TDLfan said that Lights Motors Action had a James Bond tie in, in paris?
    Actually no. I never said that. What I did say was that based on Paris' press releases about this show when it opened there, the producer of this show in Paris was someone who has been involved in the makingof Bond movie action sequences. But the show has no tie to the Bond movies or character in anyway.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pyrone
    Doesn't anyone remember there was a Dick Tracy show at MGM in the early years? They took it away. I never saw it and I have worked there forever. If it was taken away for budget.
    Yes, it was a stage show at the old Hollywood Theater that sat where Sunset Blvd now begins (so this is pre-TOT times here). DL had the same show playing in the fantasyland theater as well. The reason why it was closed is because the movie was a flop more than anything. I thought it was a nice show with some elaborate makeup, moving set pieces and costuming. But it just didn't catch up with the public as much as they had hoped.

• Minion

ORDDU: Not only that, TDLFAN, but my sisters and I--along with a hoard of OTHER Disney fans--will NEVER forgive Mr. Eisner for displacing a much BETTER stage show at Disneyland back in 1990--called One Man's Dream--with this Dick Tracy thing that had no business being in that Fantasyland Theatre to begin with. Fans LOVED One Man's Dream much better but only got to enjoy it for 5 months!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    ORDDU: Not only that, TDLFAN, but ... Mr. Eisner ... [displaced] a much BETTER stage show at Disneyland back in 1990--called One Man's Dream--with this Dick Tracy thing that had no business being in that Fantasyland Theatre to begin with. Fans LOVED One Man's Dream much better but only got to enjoy it for 5 months!!!

Did "ONE MAN'S DREAM" go to TOKYO? I remember hearing that they had some show or attraction with that name in Japan.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    ORDDU: Not only that, TDLFAN, but my sisters and I--along with a hoard of OTHER Disney fans--will NEVER forgive Mr. Eisner for displacing a much BETTER stage show at Disneyland back in 1990--called One Man's Dream--with this Dick Tracy thing that had no business being in that Fantasyland Theatre to begin with. Fans LOVED One Man's Dream much better but only got to enjoy it for 5 months!!!
    Oh trust me ORDDU...that was the first strike against Mikey right there. Thank God for TDL for trying to keep the magic alive with "One Man's Dream 2: Magic lives on". God bless OLC.

Michael Eisner thought Dick Tracy was a major franchise that's why the show was brought to MGM and DL, why a major Crimestoppers attraction was planned for both parks etc ... even though the movie made more than $100 million it cost more than that for the Beatty, Madonna, etc ... and special effects. And it wasn't overly memorable either, even though I liked the comics-like look of the movie.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast