Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy was a decent movie that was burdened with unrealistic expectations. The previous summer, Warner Bros had cleaned up with the first Batman movie. It was a comic book movie with a distinct visual style and a Hollywood legend (Nicholson, not Keaton) in a prominent role. Disney figured lightning would strike twice. They had a comic book movie with a distinct visual. They had 3 Hollywood legends (Beaty, Pacino and Hoffman) and Madonna at the top of her popularity. But while Batman has been a viable comic book superhero for decades, Dick Tracy hadn't been popular in decades. While Batman was designed to be a fun popcorn movie, Dick Tracy was primarily a big budget vanity project for Beaty and his friends.

Disney made the same mistake not long afterwards with the Rocketeer. However, they learned some lessons and didn't put all their eggs in that basket.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    There are two great things left at MGM -- Tower and Brown Derby.
    Now that I have reread all posts, I have to disagree. As in your posts about the state of WDW as it was before (good, bad, ugly), I must tell you that I feel (IMO) the Brown Derby has gone way down hill. Although the food is still very good (the Cobb and grapefruit cake are killers), it's the service that is probably gone forever. Why on earth would they kill off Jeff the piano player to add a table or two? Greed. The live piano player gave the whole restaurant an ambiance, a sense of popularity, the place to be. The wait staff were the friendliest around and very attentive to your needs. NOW, the attitude is "get em in and get em out." We were highly mistreated a few years ago actually rushing us through our dinner. Literally taking everything off the table including the salt/pepper, flowers, and water glasses. All that was left were are our napkins. Was it the Fantasmic package that we prepaid for that set this into motion, I don't know. So we tried it again on our last trip and the same thing happened. Worse yet, we asked for a booth since there were two opened and they said for parties of three or more. Not more than fifteen minutes went by and both were filled with couples. Their excuse when I asked about it, there were no tables for two left so they went to the booths. Go figure. So sad to see an upscale restaurant go this route. My wife and I said that we should take a few years off before going back again. Others I'm sure have had wonderful experiencea (as we did pre2000), so I hope we're in the minority.

• Inappropriate

now on a totally different direction, but still same subject, George Lucas said over the weekend that the Star Tours rides are to be updated. I'm sure everyone heard this. I thikn if it did happen it would be a big deal, and the studios would finally have something more than just ToT and RnR. Alright...1...2...3...SQUABBLE!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Minion

ORWEN: What they REALLY need most at Disney M-G-M is something for the more motion-sick witch in mind. Taking away the Monster Sound Stage and replacing it with that HORRIBLE Drew Carey failure was one of the worst ideas they ever came up with. But, of course, it was so CHEAP for them to install!!

ORDDU: Plus what they've done to the animation tour is an abomination. There's really no point of even GOING there, now!!

ORWEN: And as long as we're repeating ourselves--since we already made these points, earlier--why not cry and whine one more time over the vacant ABC Auditorium that used to house one of the BEST attractions the park had in the beginning--Super Star Television.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    ORWEN:

ORDDU:

ORWEN: And as long as we're repeating ourselves--since we already made these points, earlier--why not cry and whine one more time over the vacant ABC Auditorium that used to house one of the BEST attractions the park had in the beginning--Super Star Television.

Gosh I don't know what is more repetitive your complaints about MGM or the ORWEN ORDDU ORWEN broom - schtick.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Gosh I don't know what is more repetitive your complaints about MGM or the ORWEN ORDDU ORWEN broom - schtick.
    Broom-schtick...that slays me This is why i like you CaliAdventurer!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lebeau
    Dick Tracy was a decent movie that was burdened with unrealistic expectations. The previous summer, Warner Bros had cleaned up with the first Batman movie. It was a comic book movie with a distinct visual style and a Hollywood legend (Nicholson, not Keaton) in a prominent role. Disney figured lightning would strike twice. They had a comic book movie with a distinct visual. They had 3 Hollywood legends (Beaty, Pacino and Hoffman) and Madonna at the top of her popularity. But while Batman has been a viable comic book superhero for decades, Dick Tracy hadn't been popular in decades. While Batman was designed to be a fun popcorn movie, Dick Tracy was primarily a big budget vanity project for Beaty and his friends.

Disney made the same mistake not long afterwards with the Rocketeer. However, they learned some lessons and didn't put all their eggs in that basket.

A great sumation on why Dick Tracy failed. You're quite right about the comparisons with Batman and why it succeeded vs. Tracy. Although I enjoyed Batman, it was more style over substance, and absolutely taken over by Jack's Joker.

The only reason people went to even sniff DT was because of all the big names, including Madonna ...

Quote Originally Posted by Herc
    Now that I have reread all posts, I have to disagree. As in your posts about the state of WDW as it was before (good, bad, ugly), I must tell you that I feel (IMO) the Brown Derby has gone way down hill. Although the food is still very good (the Cobb and grapefruit cake are killers), it's the service that is probably gone forever. Why on earth would they kill off Jeff the piano player to add a table or two? Greed. The live piano player gave the whole restaurant an ambiance, a sense of popularity, the place to be. The wait staff were the friendliest around and very attentive to your needs. NOW, the attitude is "get em in and get em out." We were highly mistreated a few years ago actually rushing us through our dinner. Literally taking everything off the table including the salt/pepper, flowers, and water glasses. All that was left were are our napkins. Was it the Fantasmic package that we prepaid for that set this into motion, I don't know. So we tried it again on our last trip and the same thing happened. Worse yet, we asked for a booth since there were two opened and they said for parties of three or more. Not more than fifteen minutes went by and both were filled with couples. Their excuse when I asked about it, there were no tables for two left so they went to the booths. Go figure. So sad to see an upscale restaurant go this route. My wife and I said that we should take a few years off before going back again. Others I'm sure have had wonderful experiencea (as we did pre2000), so I hope we're in the minority.
    I am really sorry to hear about your very subpar experiences with the Derby. I've dined there at least three times in the past two years, and everytime we had great food and great service and were never rushed. Only once was it part of the Fantasmic package and that time was as wonderful as the others.
    I do agree about losing the piano player ... he added a touch of class to the ambience and is just another example of Disney dumbing down/WalMarting its product.

Honestly, though, if you had such bad experiences you should have made it known to both the restaurant's GM and Guest Relations. You should have filled out a written complaint and not taken anything for free unless they were willing to change the way they operate to make sure the same fate wouldn't befall other guests.

Sometimes it can just be an isolated event with bad servers -- and Disney has plenty. Also, knowing you were basically on a fixed price dinner could have played a factor. I once had a horrific waiter at the California Grill who couldn't believe that we didn't want a $100 bottle of wine and instead opted for soft drinks and iced tea. But every other visit (likely a dozen) I've had great service whether I ordered wine (about half the time) or Cokes.

But either way, they do need to know that the service isn't acceptable.

Oh, and the last two times we've been seated in the same booth (once with a large party, once with just three).

A great sumation on why Dick Tracy failed. You're quite right about the comparisons with Batman and why it succeeded vs. Tracy. Although I enjoyed Batman, it was more style over substance, and absolutely taken over by Jack's Joker.

The only reason people went to even sniff DT was because of all the big names, including Madonna ...
    You're absolutely right. The Madonna thing really pushed the hype through the roof. DT came out when Madonna ruled the pop culture world. I'd kind of forgotten just how high her presence pushed the hype machine back in the early 90s.

I am really sorry to hear about your very subpar experiences with the Derby. I've dined there at least three times in the past two years, and everytime we had great food and great service and were never rushed. Only once was it part of the Fantasmic package and that time was as wonderful as the others.

Honestly, though, if you had such bad experiences you should have made it known to both the restaurant's GM and Guest Relations. You should have filled out a written complaint and not taken anything for free unless they were willing to change the way they operate to make sure the same fate wouldn't befall other guests.

Sometimes it can just be an isolated event with bad servers -- and Disney has plenty.

But either way, they do need to know that the service isn't acceptable.
    We actually did say something, but we weren't offered to fill out any complaint card, nor were we offered anything for free.
    Mind you, we love the Brown Derby. We love the atmosphere. The last time we ate there
    I actually had to tell the waiter to slow down. We literally were only half way through our Cobbs when they brought the entrees out. Unacceptable. I actually said to him, "Why are you rushing us. Do you have some place to be?" He said he would take them back, but I didn't want anything to "happen" to our food once it was back there. Table for two and enough plates for four. Still rushed us through dessert and coffee. Am I the only that knows not to clear any dinner plates away until the entire table is finished. And is it too much to ask to not get asked about ordering dessert while still eating my main course. Guess I'm strange that way. Well I've killed this subject. Thanks for listening.
    Scary thing is that we want to go back and eat there. Go figure.

^^^Nah. Doesn't surprise me because the food and decor is so wonderful. I wouldn't let one, or in your case two, bad experiences prevent you from going back. But I'd damn well make sure that my every whim was catered to and -- at the first sign of trouble -- ask for the GM of the restaurant, NOT the server's boss/lead.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345