Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Just your average Joe.

Blog Entries

Re: I'm Going to Disney World Diary.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I've read somewhere thought that the people running food at WDW don't get tipped, though. Perhaps that's false, or perhaps the restaurant distributes tips amongst the staff (I've heard of that at other restaurants before) or maybe the company takes it. Who knows? Hasn't stopped me from trying.
    Sorry BarbaraAnn, didn't mean to hijack your diary.

On my upcoming MYW package with Dining, it says tips are included on the dining plan. We are also using Magical Express, which means no valet. And since we are arriving early, I do not expect our room to be ready, meaning we won't be there when our suitcases are delivered, so I don't expect to ever see the bell hop, much less know which one to tip. So other than Mousekeeping, it doesn't look like there will be much tipping needed.
    Am I missing anyone? I want (need) to budget tips in with the rest of the trip.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe User 99
    Sorry BarbaraAnn, didn't mean to hijack your diary.

On my upcoming MYW package with Dining, it says tips are included on the dining plan. We are also using Magical Express, which means no valet. And since we are arriving early, I do not expect our room to be ready, meaning we won't be there when our suitcases are delivered, so I don't expect to ever see the bell hop, much less know which one to tip. So other than Mousekeeping, it doesn't look like there will be much tipping needed.
    Am I missing anyone? I want (need) to budget tips in with the rest of the trip.
    I welcome all comments, and questions. I am not using the dining plan. I am traveling with another family who are. I understand that we will get billed separately. I will leave my usual tip. I always leave tips for waiters, and waitress.

I tip anyone who helps me with the luggage. Since Magical Express is handling luggage bellhops are probably losing out on tips there. I am going to be in a room by myself, but I will probably tip mousekeeping $2 a day. I really can't think of anyone else that one should tip. I guess when a person is checking out, and they need bags delivered to a certain point by the bell services staff, they should tip.

I am switching hotels, and I am considering using a taxi, and transporting my bags myself. I am staying 6 nights at CBR followed by 2 nights at the Grand Floridian. Now if I feel that I can get my bags back to the main lobby by myself, at check out time, I am going to call a cab. That way I can get to the Grand Floridian and leave my bags with Bell Services, until my room is ready.

I have a PS for 2 o'clock the day that I check in at the Grand Floridian for Afternoon Tea in that hotel. By the time that I am finished with my Tea, my room should be about ready, and then my bags will be delivered, so then I would have to tip. I understand that I can have Bell Services pick up my bags at CBR and transport them to GF, and then later call for them when I arrive in my room. I still need to get to the Grand Floridian from the Caribbean Beach Resort, and that would require 2 buses, and that is why I am considering taking a cab over about 11 a.m.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have never stayed in a hotel room alone before. This is going to be my first time. I am actually looking forward to it. There are a lot of first things happening in my life lately. I usually travel with my grandson and his mom. My grandson will be spending the week with his dad, the week that I am at Disney World.

Originally, I requested a preferred room. I then decided to switch to just a standard. The difference in price, will help pay for my 2 days at the Grand Floridian. 6 days, at Caribbean Beach followed by 2 at GF.

I am packing my cell phone, and my alarm clock. I am usually an early riser. I am usually too excited to sleep on vacation. The cell phone will be the most important thing to have, to keep in touch with the rest of my traveling party, who are at the same resort the first 6 days, but will be in a different section, and their own room. Now if the resort had rooms for 5 in a room at a reasonable price, we might have opted for that.

We originally booked All Stars, and when my friend Jennifer got her Disney World Passporter and was checking out the different resorts, she opted for the Caribbean Beach. She has 3 children and they have been to WDW more times than I, and have most times, stayed at All Star Movies. Her kids actually were upset with her, when she decided to upgrade to a moderate hotel.

Planning my schedule for 9 days of WDW fun is a lot harder than I thought it would be. This will be my longest WDW vacation. We were originally going to drive, and that changed to flying.

So I planned things one way, as far as packing, and passes and then that changed.

Sometimes, I think that I plan too much. However, planning is fun. It's good to get the kinks out before you go. Saves some stress later.

37 days to go.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We have plans to play Mini Golf when we are at Disney World. There is a miniature golf course near Blizzard Beach. I played the Winterland course, back in 2003. It was a lot of fun. It was my grandson, his mom, and myself.

Basically, you take the bus from your resort that is marked Blizzard Beach. The golf course is, if I am remembering correctly ahead and right of the bus stop, when you arrive at the Blizzard Beach bus stop.

I would also like to go to Blizzard Beach. I have never been to a WDW waterpark. This would be a good opportunity.

The plan is to sleep late that morning, and then go play mini golf. We are planning this for the morning after we arrive. The day we arrive, we have a priority seating for "Ohana, and we might be going to the Magic Kingdom. That is a Friday night, and they are open late.

So Saturday will be mini golf, and I just might pop in, and check out Blizzard Beach, since I have never been there. I still have 3 options left on an old Disney World pass.

It costs about $9 for mini golf. They usually open at 10 a.m.

Our priority seating that day is not until the evening, and that is for Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge. More on that another day.

Thought golf was a good entry today, with all the coverage about the U.S. Open in the news.

36 days until my WDW vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    That's what I do, too, Barb. Of course, where I live it seems like almost everyone works in some service job, sometimes it feels like if you were drowning and someone pulled you out of a lake they'd expect a tip.

I've read somewhere thought that the people running food at WDW don't get tipped, though. Perhaps that's false, or perhaps the restaurant distributes tips amongst the staff (I've heard of that at other restaurants before) or maybe the company takes it. Who knows? Hasn't stopped me from trying.
    ...I too have heard that that the cooks don't get tipped and this bothers me (I own/run a restaurant.) I once tried to tip a cook that not only served me dinner the night before (At WL), but also dished my food the next morning! I was impressed by his manners and the fact that he was up and running on a few hours of sleep. Needless to say...he did not take it. Those guys in white's really work hard in those kitchens.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I did get a second mailing from Magical Express. It lists my return flight back to Chicago on the voucher. I understand that the day before I am to leave WDW, I will be notified by a hand delivered note to my hotel room. It will tell me what time my bus will be leaving for the airport. Usually they depart 3 hours prior to flight time.

Our flight doesn't leave until almost about 7 p.m., so we will probably depart about 4. I haven't decided if I want to spend additional time in the parks that last day.

That last day we have a PS for 'Ohana for breakfast. 'Ohana now has, I believe a Lilo and Stitch character meal. Breakfast is served family style. 'Ohana is located in the Polynesian Resort. Last chance to get some great pictures and autographs. Our PS is at 9:20 a.m. We will probably be done by 11 a.m.

So more Magic Kingdom?
    Last chance for Epcot?
    MGM again?
    Animal Kingdom, one more time?

Or do I go back to GF, and just sit on the Beach, and enjoy one last relaxing afternoon?

Only time will tell.

5 more weeks - that's 35 days.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

34 days until my vacation to WDW.

Today, I entertained the possibility of being at WDW 2 days, before ever actually going into a theme park. Can I hold out that long? I don't think so. Since our first night is dinner at 'Ohana, do I want to use a day on my pass, for just a late night at the MK.

Our second day is already looking to be a no park day. Sleeping late that morning then Miniature Golf followed by an early dinner at Whispering Canyon and we are looking into the campfire at Fort Wilderness.

Since we have 9 days, can I really begin my vacation by not seeing a park the first 48 hours? Only time will tell.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Yesterday, I gave my friend Jennifer a typewritten copy of our schedule for WDW. On the left I typed up my daily plans, and on the right I type up hers. That way, if you look at the schedule, you can see what we are doing together, and what we are doing differently.

I dropped a breakfast at Cape May at the Beach Club, in favor of Early Morning at Animal Kingdom and breakfast at Rainforest Cafe.

I read a suggestion someplace about restaurant menus, and I think I am going to do the same thing. For all my priority seatings, I am going to go over the restaurant menus and see what I would perhaps like to order, and make a note of it in my passporter. Either that, or put the menus themself in the passpockets of the days that I am eating in those restaurants.

I am excited about all the different places that I have chosen to eat at.

Seems like some WDW vacations are planned more around the PS's than the Theme Parks.

33 days left.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My first Early Entry will be at Epcot on the Sunday morning 2 days after we arrive at Disney World. The only park that I have ever done Early Entry at has been Magic Kingdom. After picking up a park map, and grabbing a few fast photos, my first priority will be Soarin. I will either grab a fastpass or ride the ride. I will also ride Space Ship Earth as early in the day as possible, because I don't want to forget. I always enjoy that attraction.

I have a Priority Seating for the Princess Breakfast in Norway, on my Early Entry morning. The time is 9:55. Park should open at 8 a.m.

The pavilion that I really want to check out in Future World, is the Land pavilion. I have never done all the attractions there.

Another Future World Pavilion that I should probably spend some time in, is Living Seas. I have seen Turtle Talk, but I understand that they have rennovated this pavillion, since I was last there. I am hoping they have corrected their line problems there. It just took too long to just get inside last time.

I want to spend more time in the Future World Part of Epcot, on that first visit.

When I get tired, I may return to the Caribbean Beach for a brief time. If not, there are many restful places to hang out, to just put my feet up. I have a Priority Seating for dinner at the Coral Reef Reataurant in the Living Seas area of Future World.

I will be on the lookout for characters, and will check out my park map to find out where they hang out. I am always looking for Jiminy Cricket, and he has been spotted at Epcot. Of course that was around Earth Day. Hey, a girl can hope.

32 more days until I am at WDW.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 06-19-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Hey Barbaraann I know you are excited about our trips but, Epcot is in Disney World not Disneyland. It's a good thing I keep up with you this way or we might be in trouble. Just kidding.

• Delawarean Girl

Shame, it's not Aug.4-10.Because that's when I am going to down there.

Have a wonderful time there..
    Last edited by Hayley B; 06-19-2006 at 05:41 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneylover 01
    Hey Barbaraann I know you are excited about our trips but, Epcot is in Disney World not Disneyland. It's a good thing I keep up with you this way or we might be in trouble. Just kidding.
    That's what happens when I post in a hurry, and I am planning two trips at the same time.

Welcome to the wonderful world of posting on MiceChat. If I knew that I had to make a mistake to finally get you to stop lurking, I would have done so sooner.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I was on my way to the post office, when I decided to take a walk to Target. I was looking for a smaller fanny pack. I know some people don't like fanny packs. I like to keep my park passes, money, and certain other items up front and readily available. The one I have now is too cumbersome.

Should have taken my shopping cart, because I ended up shopping for clothes for my grandson, for our later in the summer Disneyland trip.

I have green luggage. I found myself a really nice green backpack. I was going to take my black backpack. It's small. I like the fact that it's small, because I am less likely to buy too many souvenirs when I carry it. However, I decided that this green bacpack is better. It's not real bulky, and well I bought it for carrying at the park. I was hoping it came in a different color, but since it didn't I bought the green one. I also found the perfect fanny pack, and it was only $9.99.

Saturday I was at the Disney Store and I had a gift certificate that allowed me to purchase Disney Dollars. The Disney Money will come in handy for paying for some of my meals. I already had some Disney Dollars that I purchased at Disneyland last July.

31 days to go.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

30 days until my trip.

As I mentioned before, I use the Disney World Passporter to help me plan my trip. I will have it close by in my backpack when I board the plane. However when I arrive in Orlando, and finally make it into my hotel room, the passporter will remain there. I will use the hotel safe to store my money.

I purchased a very nice small journal, to write in as I live my vacation. It is 3x5, and it will be easy to just jot down things as they happen in there. I hope to keep notes, of funny stuff, rides I have ridden, magic moments, etc;

Then at night I can take a little time to write some stuff down in the Passporter, and make plans for the next day.

There's always those moments when you are standing in a long line waiting for a ride, when you can make a few notes. Long bus rides, give you a few minutes to write a little bit more. I have done this on past vacations, and my writings are always a great help, when I get home and I am scrapping some pictures, and trying to figure out exactly when did that happen.

I am waiting for my latest Visa Bill. It will be the last one I get before my vacation. I can now transfer all my Rewards dollars to my Rewards card. That will be money that I can either apply to my hotel bill, or spend on meals. Since I booked "Room Only", my hotel bill doesn't have to be paid until I get there. I booked with a AAA discount, and I must remember to keep that card in my wallet.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I am going to post my Priority Seating Schedule. I will then follow up in days to come with restaurant comments. Here's the schedule:

Friday, July 21, Dinner at "Ohana at 6:55 p.m.- Polynesian Hotel
    Saturday, July 22, Dinner at Whispering Canyon at 5 p.m. - Wilderness Lodge
    Sunday, July 23, Princess Storybook Dining at 9:55 a.m. - Restaurant Akershus - Norway Pavillion, Epcot
    Sunday, July 23, Dinner at Coral Reef at 5:20 p.m. - Epcot, Future World, Living Seas pavillion
    Monday, July 24, Lunch at Brown Derby at 11:30 a.m. - MGM Studios
    Monday, July 24, Dinner at Tony's Town Square Restaurant at 6:30 p.m. - Magic Kingdom
    Tuesday, July 25, Breakfast at Crystal Palace at 10:25 a.m. - Magic Kingdom
    Tuesday, July 25, Dinner at Sci Fi Dine-In Theatre at 6:30 p.m. - MGM Studios
    Wednesday, July 26, Breakfast at Rainforest Cafe at 9:30 a.m. - Animal Kingdom
    Wednesday, July 26, Lunch at Le Cellier Steakhouse at 2:10 p.m. - Epcot, World Showcase, Canada Pavillion
    Thursday, July 27, Afternoon Tea at Garden View Lounge at 2 p.m. - Grand Floridian Hotel
    Friday, July 28, Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare at 8:20 a.m. - Grand Floridian Hotel
    Friday, July 28, Dinner at Chef Mickey's at 5 p.m. - Contemporary Resort
    Saturday, July 29, Breakfast (Lilo and Stitch) at 9:20 a.m. - 'Ohana, at the Polynesian Resort.

There it is. It leaves a little room for some spontaneity, some food court meals, and some fast food fun.

29 more days until my trip.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast