Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm Going to Disney World Diary.

I decided that it might help me control my excitement to put down my thoughts in a "I"m Going to Disney World Diary".

In 7 weeks, I will be at Disney World. I am leaving on Friday, July the 21st. I am traveling with another mom and her 3 kids. I am leaving my husband, and grandson behind in Chicago. My husband prefers to stay home, and my grandson does not know that I m going to Disney World this year without him. I am going during the week of his dad's birthday. So Sean will be spending that week with his dad. His dad is on vacation from work the same time that I am vacationing at Disney World.

This will be my 5th trip To Disney World. After my upcoming trip, I will be able to say that I have stayed at 6 different resorts.

I will try to post a little bit here each day. Stay tuned if you like. Feel free to comment. Or ignore my ramblings, if that's your choice.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 06-02-2006 at 05:02 AM.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: I'm Going to Disney World Diary.

BarbaraAnn, I'll be looking forward to reading your posts as usual. I've only been to WDW once...I took a cross country bus trip by myself in 1978...I remember staying at a motel in Orlando and taking a shuttle in each day...EPCOT hadn't even opened yet...I remember visiting the Contemporary, and having dinner a couple of times at the Polynesian resort...and it was so cool getting into the Magic Kingdom with my Disneyland main gate pass!!!

I thought then (and probably would still think now, that as far as "Magic Kingdoms" go) - that "my" park is much better . POTC in Adventureland? No New Orleans Square? Please. I was much more impressed, as you might expect, with their backstage areas and their underground system that I got to see - taking what they learned in the first park, and making it better!

I think that things have changed just a tad bit there since my last visit. But as far as MK's go, the original is still "my" park and will always be the best!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have wanted to ask you Barry, if you have ever been to Disney World. It is interesting that you were able to get into the Magic Kingdom with a Disneyland Pass. I visited WDW 4 times, before I went to Disneyland last year. My favorite Park used to be the Magic Kingdom. My favorite Park now is Disneyland. However, I am very excited to be visiting Walt Disney World.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    I have wanted to ask you Barry, if you have ever been to Disney World. It is interesting that you were able to get into the Magic Kingdom with a Disneyland Pass. I visited WDW 4 times, before I went to Disneyland last year. My favorite Park used to be the Magic Kingdom. My favorite Park now is Disneyland. However, I am very excited to be visiting Walt Disney World.
    I don't blame you. I hope that I'll have the money to see the many other things they have at WDW now. And to clarify for anyone who might be confused - I got in back then an a Main Gate pass given to Disneyland employees - not to be confused with the Annual Passes of today.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My trip is 48 days away.

I am thinking about my first trip to Disney World. My husband and I sold some of the stamps from our stamp collection, so we could visit Disney World. We visited in 1997. The castle was a cake. Disney World was celebrating their 25th year. I was celebrating my 50th birthday. My grandson was only 4, when we visited the first time. My husband went with me on that trip. It was him, and I, and my grandson Sean. My husband won't return. First of all he refuses to fly. He leaves all the Disney traveling to me.

So, back to my recent trip. I have stayed at these resorts.

1997 - Polynesian
    2003 - Contemporary
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2005 - Port Orleans Riverside, and the Beach Club

This trip, I am actually staying at 2 different resorts, so I need to edit my original post. I will be splitting my stay between the Caribbean Beach and the Grand Floridian. I love the Monorail Resorts, because of the closeness to the Magic Kingdom. Magic Kingdom is my favorite WDW park.

My husband loved the Polynesian. He like the boats that took you across the Seven Seas Lagoon, between the Polynesian and the Magic Kingdom. I have some photos of those boats. Digital cameras wern't around then. We took many photos at our character meals with disposable cameras.

Times have changed for the better. There's so much to do at Walt Disney World. Animal Kingdom wasn't there in 1997. Discovery Island was. River Country was just closed, and has never reopened. We didn't visit MGM on that trip. We planned a trip to Typhoon Lagoon, but never went. I still haven't gotten there.

It's the reason that I want to return every year. There's just so much to do.

• most magical vaca ever

It's the reason that I want to return every year. There's just so much to do.
    That is exactly why we go every year I can never get tired of going. So excited to hear about your upcoming trip We hope to visit WDW in August.

Cannot wait to hear all about your upcoming trip.
    ~~~~~~

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It was last year, that I found out that if I joined AAA Motor Club, I could get a discount on Disney Hotel Rooms. So, when I joined, I also decided to try and do a split stay. Stay some nights at a moderate, or value resort, and then splurge for a few at a Deluxe. The plan worked great last year. So this year I am staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort for 6 nights, in a room by myself for the first time. I usually travel with my grandson, and his mom. Since I am taking my grandson to Disneyland in August, he is not coming on this Disney World Trip. I am not telling him about my trip, until I actually leave. Hope he won't be too upset with his Granny.

Back to my split stay. I am traveling with another Disney Mom and her 3 children. We will all be at the Caribbean Beach for 6 nights. They will continue to stay there for the additional 2 nights, while I move over to the Grand Floridian. I am very excited about that.

I was also in WDW in 97...we stayed at WL. I am with you...why did they close River Country? (I'm sure there are many reasons that some will share, but I thought this was a great place. It was of course drawfed by TL and Blizzard, but this was the charm of the place.) I like the fact that you are moving between hotels during your stay. Always wanted to do this, but have not.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My goal is to stay at as many different Walt Disney World Hotels as I can. I figure that, if I do more than one on a visit, I will reach my goal faster. It also kinda feels like 2 different vacations in one, when you do that.

Last year, the first part of my vaction was at Port Orleans Riverside. We took a fishing excursion. Visited Downtown Disney. Swam, and visited Port Orleans French Quarter. When we moved over to the Beach Club, we were able to walk to Epcot, and take the boat to MGM.. One of my fondest memories was of watching Illuminations from infront of the United States Pavilion, and then strolling back to the Beach Club. One morning, I walked from the Beach Club over to the Swan and the Dolphin. I'd like to stay at one of those hotels, sometimes too.

Disney transported my bags between hotels, and then we just showed up at check in time. It went very smoothly.

I always just do a "room only reservation". That type of reservation only requires a one night's deposit. The balance is paid at check in. When you book 2 hotels, you simply have 2 separate reservations, with 2 deposits, and you pay the balance when you check in. You can pay it before, if you like.

I usually buy parkhopper tickets. I like the new tickets, because you can buy only what you will truly use. I will finish using the 10 day parkhopper with no expiration that I bought last year. I also purchased a 4 day, parkhopper. That gives me enough days. I also have an old pass that still has some "plus" features on it. That means that if I finally wanted to make it to Typhoon Lagoon, I could use that old pass 3 times.

It's now only 47 days until my trip.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I love this thread. Nice to see such a beloved place through someone elses eyes.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

46 days until I leave on my Walt Disney World Trip.

I have gathered all my clothes and things together in 2 carryon size suitcases. I have booked Magical Express, and I understand that they will be sending me tags to put on my suitcases. I have a decision to make. Our plane will be landing around 10:45 a.m. in Orlando. If things don't hit a snag, I am assuming that we should be at the hotel way before 1 p.m. Since rooms may not be ready until 3 p.m., what do I want to carryon the plane, and what do I want to trust Disney to transport. Right now I have one suitcase packed, that inclueds all the things that I don't want lost, and a few day's clothes. The other suitcase has all the rest of my clothes. I am thinking that I should carry on one bag, and let Disney send the other. When I arrive at the hotel, I will check the bag at Bell Services. Then if I want to head to a park, I can. We have a 6:55 PM for 'Ohana that evening. I don't know how tired or hungry I might be, and whether I will want to just wait at the hotel for my room to be ready, and have lunch, and maybe enjoy the sunshine on a lounge chair on the beach. It is funny, the way we plan out these little scenarios and itinerary.

Bottom line is that I am really looking forward to checking in at the Caribbean Beach. I heard that it is a beautiful resort. I requested the Aruba section, because it is close to the lobby, and supposedly more quiet than those sections nearest the Food Court and the main swimming area. The other mom, and her 3 children have requested a different section all together. She wishes to be near the Food Court, and the main pool.

So, how far in advance have you packed for a trip? How many times, due to your excitement, have you repacked, and reshuffled things? Surely I can't be the only one acting so peculiar.

• Official MC Thread Killer

^^^ I usually don't pack until 2 or 3 days before haha. But the carry-on idea is the exact same thing with me. We're using Magical Express for the first time this trip, so I'm not sure what to expect. Anyway, I always pack the next day's clothing, toiletries, money, camera, tickets, etc. in my carry-on and leave all the other clothing and unecessary things in my luggage, so I don't have to worry about when it gets to the room. Anyway, I can't wait for my trip, and I'm sure you can't either! We're leaving this Friday afternoon and I'm soooooooo excited...
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• most magical vaca ever

Barbaraann, we stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort 10 years ago and we loved it.

As for packing... I tend to wait until 3 days prior to the trip and yes I am still adding things up until the very last minute
    ~~~~~~

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

45 days until I leave for Disney World.

This morning, I just don't feel up to snuff. I have a little bit of a headache, and I am kind of sleepy tired. I guess that I will do a little Disney Dreaming. I went shopping a few weeks ago, and I bought myself a couple of swimsuits. Now I don't know how to swim. I am not really a pool person. When we take my grandson to the Dells, I do like the wave pool (I stay at the edge), and I do enjoy the hot tub. I have remembered to put my beach shoes in one of my suitcases. I always wear a hat, and/or sunglasses when I am in the sun.

I am making up a tentative daily schedule. I usually divide it in thirds. Morning, Noon, and Night. I need to "plan" some time, for just sitting on the beach. It might not happen, if I don't plan it. Otherwise I get so busy running each, and everyday, to a different theme park. I want this vacaion to be more relaxing than those in the past. It will be my longest in length Disney World Trip.

So I am dreaming about just relaxing on the beach. I want to come back, looking like I have been in the sun. Isn't that everyone's secret wish, when they vacation in Florida?

• most magical vaca ever

Sadly whenever we vacation in Florida we don't come back with tans... I wish we had more time when we go to WDW to enjoy the water parks and pools at the resort but we usually spend every minute at the 4 parks.

That's ok though
    ~~~~~~

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast