Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Universal Orlando opinon from Walt Disney World fan

I See more of a rant about business-ey type stuff and management mre thatn comapring rides/parks/other attactions. I like them both, but for different reasons, but hey my loyalties are to Disney, which is why I'm here. I have to refrain myself form going every weekend so I never get tired of it and that takes discipline.

KCNole, you're right. comparison as parks just isn't fair.

Lets just remember that if not for Walt Disney, Orlando would still be a po-dunk red meck town full of swamps, Ga-Pac paper mills, Orange Groves and Swamps.

• We're number one!

Quote Originally Posted by bluntman
    Lets just remember that if not for Walt Disney, Orlando would still be a po-dunk red meck town full of swamps, Ga-Pac paper mills, Orange Groves and Swamps.
    And don't forget Wal-Marts. We got plenty of those here.

Anyways, I love both Universal and Disney. When Universal first opened my aunt worked for Pepsi and they were the official drink at that time so we got to take a look around before the park offically opened. I think the only two attractions that were opened when we were there for the preview were Murder She Wrote and Hanna Barbara, lol. So I grew up with both parks so they have a special place in my heart.

I think they both have their strong points and weak points and I also think that they are good for each other. I mean just the same way we are are crazy about Disney there are die hard Universal fans out there and when one comes out for one specific park they often make a trek to the other ones also.

• keep moving forward...

i went in 1995 and i hardly remember it,we were going to go to disney but my parents wanted to do something different, my sister was completely freaked by jaws, i was bored out of my mind considering it was a rainy day ,i remember fondly fivels play world, and i remember screaming on the e.t. ride, i also remember a show about street sharks but thats about it...my parents really werent impressed with the park at all

we went again this passed year (when islands of adventure was open) and it was basically the same thing, we were pretty much bored, we went on almost every ride in the original park, and throughout the day i was reminding my sister (who was acting as the adult) that the park next door is newer and has a lot more to do, we eventually headed over there at around 8:00 just enough time to get on spider man (amazing ride) and the flyers at jurrasic park land

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

I like Universal but it is surely no Disney--which is fine. I'm working at a local amusement park this summer which is certainly not Disney, but it's still fun. My problem w/ UOR is that they pretend that they are better than Disney in their commercials, when they are clearly not.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

That's called Marketing and any good marketing plan would do that. Would you prefer their motto be:

Come Visit Universal Studios Orlando, we're not as crappy as some theme parks.

Come visit Universal, if you're tired of a wonderful park like Disney, give us a try.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    That's called Marketing and any good marketing plan would do that. Would you prefer their motto be:

Come visit Universal, if you're tired of a wonderful park like Disney, give us a try.
    Or Come Visit Universal Orlando, We don't have Mickey but we have Woody Woodpecker.

Come Visit Universal Orlando, Where you don't learn on vacation. cough Epoct cough.

• They wanna know, HO!

No, it should be "Visit Universal - we have amazing coasters, great thrills, and rides for the whole family."

NOT "Visit Universal - farytails and princesses are for littler twerps and pansies."
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Amen.

UO has some great things and has SOME cool things that catrer to a different market, but class is everything, and their marketing has no clue what that is. I think UO would have a lot more respect in the industry if they focused on making themselves better and capitalizing on potential instead of inaccurate cheap shots to WDW.

Peace.

Blog Entries

In the business world there's no such thing as class.

Take the coke and pepsi ads over the years. They're constantly putting down the competition. It's what marketing does. Those guys suck, we're better so use us.

It's not honest, but when has marketing ever been about honesty. IE. If you drink this beer, own this car, smoke this cigarette then women will want you.

IE. If you drink this beer, own this car, smoke this cigarette then women will want you.
    You mean if I don't do all that stuff, women don't want me??? Wow, I guess my wife has nothing to worry about.

I went to IOA when it first opened and enjoyed it immensly, I also went to USO and it was boring. I'm sure it would be the same way now, I just think they need to focus more on the whole picture than just thrills.

Blog Entries

I agree that Universal doesn't come anywhere close to the feeling I get when I walk through the gates of The Magic Kingdom or Epcot. They don't have any real weinie's as the imagineers will call them.

Even with that god aweful wand there's still nothing quite like seeing SSE or Cinderella's castle and knowing I'm home.

They're not Disney, but they're not bad either.

I'm sorry, but this topic is totally biased. We are talking about Universal at a Disney fan site... gee, I wonder what opinion every single person here will have...

I'm not really sure which park I like more. I don't live anywhere near Disney World or Universal, and both have their pros and cons.

The writer complains about how Universal uses movies that aren't their own. How many Disney fans complain about Disney not using enough non-Disney movies at MGM/Great Movie Ride? Sorry, I just can't believe that it's a problem.

Some of his comments were so nit-picky... doesn't he see any of the major faults of Disney. Disney isn't perfect either. (See: Journey into Imagination, Chester and Hester's Dinorama, etc.)

Downtown Disney wasn't terribly nice either.

Blog Entries

I had to laugh about the comment about how their employees would all get arrested on CM night. Universal is hiring from the same talent pool that Disney is and paying more at the same time. I'm fairly certain that their employees are of the same caliber.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio
    unfortunately when you are are Disney Theme Park fan your standards are raised too high. It's a shame that not all parks are like Disney parks, but we have to accept it!
    ..And when you are a Tokyo Disney Resort fan...it's even worst. Your standards are raised over the rest of the Disney resorts. ...And no, we do not have to accept it, especially when at Universal, since they are charging a similar entry fee on tickets.

Blog Entries

Maybe I should never visit Tokyo Disneyland. I still have a wonderful time when I visit WDW and Universal. I'd hate to have those times ruined because of Tokyo, especially since a trip to Tokyo would be a once in a lifetime thing. Hell, my much hoped for visit to Anaheim will probably be a once in a lifetime thing, I have almost zero chance of ever making it to Tokyo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast