Disney College Program

I'm actually doing it! I'm so excited. I will actually get to work in Walt Disney World while earning credit towards my college. I will actually get to live just outside the property and get to go to either theme park whenever I want. I do live in California near Disneyland and I know there is a college program for here, but I'm sorry Disneyland, Walt Disney World seems to hard to resist. Even though the program isn't until fall of 2007, I'm still going to do it and can't wait.

Is there anyone here who had or will do the college program? If so, what is it like, did you enjoy it?

• I am a Pluto lover

Re: Disney College Program

Congrats to you!

I know my son's school was offering this too. He has 2 more years
    of HS though.

I have bothing to add about the experience. i just wanted to say

Yeah for you!
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

i was there fall of 2005 and i had a blast! and i hope you do too!!!!! i also live in california like half an hour from disneyland but chose disney world over disneyland. its awesome! besides going to the parks free al the time you get discounts, and since you will be going during the fall semester, in november and december you have the cast holiday discount, which is like fourty percent off most merchandise, coupons for free popcorn and sodas, you get like a card that will get your friends in free, into the themeparks, and take advantage of the extra classes that they have. i want to one during halloween were they talked about tim burton and his films and classic disney cartoons, and never before scene things as well. i was supposed to go to one about the making of splash mountain but i never did get to attend. Its so much fun! i know your there for four months and it seems like a long time but its not. do what you can do on your days off at disney before its to late. take advantage of all the discounts and any other stuff that you get being a cast member!

Oh and if you have any questions, just let me know, ill be happy to answer any questions you might have. Do you know what position you got yet?

I'm not going till next fall (2007). There not yet accepting applications for that semester yet since it's too far away, I've just been given the "ok" by parents and friends to do it. I'm hoping to work attractions. Do you get to give them your choices in attractions or do they pick for you? How many people can you get into the parks? Is it like a Purple Pass?

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace
    I do live in California near Disneyland and I know there is a college program for here, but I'm sorry Disneyland, Walt Disney World seems to hard to resist.
    Hurricanes. Humidity. Both of which come in such volume that California-ites could easily be overwhelmed by it all. I won't mention the lightning storms you may be working in or the native "wildlife."

Well, that was a short way to burst that bubble.

On the application part it will list many different roles from food and beverage, to attractions, to lifeguarding, to hotels,etc. You just tell them what you are interested in. And if you get accepted they will send you a packed and tell you what department you are working in, but you won't find out what park, resort, or location until i think its the second day there. The first day is all about signing in, getting settled and the second day you find out where you work, well that what happend when i went. Now for passes, when i was there, we didn't get the regular passes that could get people in we just got one that let ourselves in. But my friend did go the semester after me and they recieved the passes that let you take in a few guests in at a time. I don't know if they change it each semester or not. I guess you really won't know until you get it.

Well, it won't be for a long while till I know. My parents are looking forward to seeing Walt Disney World during Christmas so I hope I can get at least three of my family members in.

• Sock Puppet

I'm there right now, typing this from an apartment in Vista Way!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    working in or the native "wildlife.".
    Are you talking about the southern people because I've found Florida's people to be quite un southern most of the time...

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace
    Is there anyone here who had or will do the college program? If so, what is it like, did you enjoy it?
    You could try this still on-going thread about the College Program right here.

My husband will be starting culinary school and his schools has WDW for the biggest externships. From what the school told me is that it is through the U of F and they have housing and you get paid to work which will help pay for housing. It sounded alot like the college program. Does anyone know if it is the same housing or type of program as the college program?
    Kungaloosh!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Are you talking about the southern people because I've found Florida's people to be quite un southern most of the time...
    "Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat... Haul in big roaches, wherever they're at... Out of the waters, it's time to respond, send us a gator from wetlands beyond!"

Now every region is different as far as these kinds of things are concerned (I don't think Central Florida has scorpions like we do in the Vegas desert, and i don't think Vegas has the mosquitos the northwest does, and neither the desert nor the northwest has gators, etc) but I know that a lot of people think of Orlando and immediately think of Disney when they should be thinking swamp.

Of course, you won't see most of this stuff if you're just there on vacation, but living there for six months, I don't know, I can never get anyone to talk about how often creepy things get close to your house there.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Of course, you won't see most of this stuff if you're just there on vacation, but living there for six months, I don't know, I can never get anyone to talk about how often creepy things get close to your house there.
    Well I think it depends on what part of Central Florida you are in...Disney's CP Dorms are still pretty much in the middle of tourist land.

But that can be said for anywhere. I lived in Savannah, GA for a while. You have a great historic downtown...and 20 minutes outside of it you had moonshine 50s trucks and people in camoflage and beer hats. Lol. I think the bugs and swamps of Florida are still not as much as an issue in Orlando area as they are once you get outside to Polk.