Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• If We Can Dream It...

Re: The Laugh Floor Comedy Club Confirmed

I heard this was going to happen but didn't want to belive it. Buzz is really good; Stitch is all right(not as unique as AE) but, this is just ridiculous. Why is WDW building another Turtle Talk-style attraction? From what I've seen the original show(TT) isn't all that amazing once you get over how they control the character's facial expressions. Then other thoughts start entering your head..."Oh wow, some guy is speaking like a surfer into a microphone, incredible!" Don't get me wrong the show is okay and pure magic for little kids but, making two of these types of attractions is silly. It's sort of like how CV-360 was way back when. They're going crazy with this style of presentation.
    I'm saddened that Fantasyland East will be realized. Even with all this though, hopefully I'm just getting the wrong vibe from this thing. Here's to it being a great attraction and a amazing improvement.

^ Oh wow... I can't believe I had that much to say. I guess that's my two cents.

• Banned User

ok i have said this before and I will say it again. this doesn't fit in tommorrowland. it's like someone said, " ok we have this space let's fill it it something. what attraction don't we have? oh we don't have a monster's inc attraction!" cute idea but not the theme. would fit better at MGM maybe where the little mermaid is now. In my opinion this doesn't bode well for lasseter and his imagineers.

Blog Entries

I have an idea, why don't we wait and see what the imagineers have up their sleeves before bemoaning it as the worst idea ever. Just think back to a couple months ago when we found out they were making the change to Mission Space. Do any of you remember how many pontificators we had on here telling us how much it was going to suck, that it was the worst idea Disney has ever had, and that it would ruin Mission Space.

However, that's not what happened. Almost everyone who has ridden it has been very surprised at how much fun it turned out to be and all the nightmare stories of overworked CM's with no clue what was going to happen were grossly exaggerated.

The imagineers are some of the most creative and smart people at Disney. I'm certain that they've had every discussion that we have as far as theme and how to make it work. The plans for this attraction have been some of the most tightly guarded plans of any attraction that I can think of, even more so than Pirates. I think they've earned the right to be given the lattitude. We can bring up ideas and say, if they go this direction it won't work. That's not bad. Maybe somebody who speaks to them reads these boards and they can hear something to possibly keep an idea from going wrong, but no one on here no matter how much they claim to know really knows any more than some basic details. Let's wait and see what they come up with. I have faith that we'll be wowed again as I am almost everytime Disney does a new attraction.

• FuseMP

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    ok i have said this before and I will say it again. this doesn't fit in tommorrowland. it's like someone said, " ok we have this space let's fill it it something. what attraction don't we have? oh we don't have a monster's inc attraction!" cute idea but not the theme. would fit better at MGM maybe where the little mermaid is now. In my opinion this doesn't bode well for lasseter and his imagineers.
    I've heard this argument of "it doesnt fit Tomorrowland" a lot since joining the board. No offense, but what does really fit tomorrowland and be commercially viable? Sure they could put in other shows like Timekeeper etc but without a tie in to something recognised as Disney it has no marketability and Disney haven't had any successful futuristic movies in a long long time.

They've already got several attractions that centre around Space Exploration/Aliens (SpaceMountain, Mission Space, Stitch, Rockets) and that pretty much is the only thing they can really use that is "tomorrow" without the worry that it won't be either real in a few years or look absurd as a vision of the future. Every time they try and do something to seem futuristic it becomes dated very easily, does anyone ride the cars and think "oooo, this is how cars will be in the future". As a kid I used to love Horizons at Epcot which would fit the theme of Tomorrowland perfectly but hardly any of it has been achieved because in many cases we've surpassed a lot of it technology wise and not bothered with the rest; and even if we did have Robot Chefs I can guarantee they wouldn't look that retro thus it would unbelievable as a look into the future.

The constraints of the theme of the land is probably why at DLP there's Discoveryland rather than Tomorrowland which has the TL rides and Star Tours. It frees them up to include rides that aren't always from the future; hence Star Tours which we all know was "A Long Time Ago".

No, Monsters Inc doesn't fit with the Tomorrowland theme, neither will the cars if they do overlay the Cars film over it. Maybe the theming of the land is going to just have to be mainly the way it looks on the outside and not so much what's in the buildings.

Blog Entries

Well I do think that they need to at least pretend to try to make the rides fit in with tomorrowland. Personally I truly miss the original tomorrowland. I so wish there was a time machine to take me back to ride Mission to Mars, If You Had Wings, the orignal peoplemover that looked through IYHW, etc...

The rest of the park retains the nostalgiac factor from my childhood, but tomorrowland has lost it since so many of the wonderful memories from my childhood have long been gone. My favorite part about SGE was that the building still retained that familiar seating arrangement from Mission to Mars, and the TTA is still somewhat nostalgiac but not being able to see the family of the future and inside IYHW just makes it feel like it's missing something.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    My guess from the brief description given is that this will be themed as Tomorrowland's comedy club. It'll probably be similar to the little bits at the end of the movie where Mike was attempting to do comedy and things like that.
    You know, if it is just a simple show where each time you could hear some punny jokes (Jungle Cruise) and get a differentish show each time then I would like that.

But if WDI took the simple step of making this Tomorrowland's Nightclub...and they made the place like a lounge with posters of different performers and such and attempted to tie this in to the dying Tomorrowland 1994 mind of thought (a city...hence the posters by the entrance of the land) then I would be very happy.

It sounds so simple...but if they execute this as Tomorrowland and host Mike Wozowski inside...it would be great. Just from the subtle storytelling point of view. That could be very cool.

Or it could just be sorta halfway on everything (except AAs) like Stitch was.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle
    No offense, but what does really fit tomorrowland and be commercially viable?
    Ah sir you have a great argument! Nothing. Really no brand new space show is as merchandiseable and marketable as a Pixar attraction. Which is why we are getting it.

• Banned User

So what will be next? A Pixar's Cars overlay for the Tomorrowland Grand Prix Raceway???

• Banned User

And an Incredibles overlay for the Monorail system... lol

Blog Entries

So what will be next? A Pixar's Cars overlay for the Tomorrowland Grand Prix Raceway???
    I would be more surprised if we didn't get that. The raceway needs some work to it, and if Cars is as popular as I think it'll be, then I would be very surprised if they didn't do it.

• Banned User

I would love it if they gutted the entire Raceway and rebuilt with the same feel and design of the Autopia tracks at HKDL and DL.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92
    From what I've seen the original show(TT) isn't all that amazing once you get over how they control the character's facial expressions. Then other thoughts start entering your head..."Oh wow, some guy is speaking like a surfer into a microphone, incredible!" Don't get me wrong the show is okay and pure magic for little kids but, making two of these types of attractions is silly.
    Are you kidding? Kids love this stuff. Kids would love to interact with all their favorite characters. Do you really think kids care if the same type of technology is used in two different attractions? That's like saying they shouldn't have AA in two different attractions...

I think having something like this in a queue area would be awesome too!

We have multiple 3d/4d movie setups (all unqiue) I don't understand why you wouldn't do the real-time CGI in other places too.

And 'getting over how they do the facial expressions' is pointless and moot to the kids who see it.

If you are older and tied up on the technology.. focus on the CM's great acting and quick wit... after all it is a LIVE PERFORMANCE. And unlike most disney attractions.. isn't 100% scripted

• 1000th Happy Haunt

Sure they could put in other shows like Timekeeper etc but without a tie in to something recognised as Disney it has no marketability and Disney haven't had any successful futuristic movies in a long long time.
    Yeah, since when has Disney been able to build successful attractions that weren't tied to a movie?...

Oh wait...

*gets in line for the Haunted Mansion*

• Banned User

And just like Hanuted Mansion (and POTC for that matter)... these attractions have earned their rightful place as classic "Americana" for inspiring movies about them! Talk about Walt's visionary attributes in the entertainment field.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by geekzapoppin
    Yeah, since when has Disney been able to build successful attractions that weren't tied to a movie?...
    Well I think a more fair question is how long has it been since Disney was willing to spend the money on a non-thrill ride that was not based around a movie?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I would love it if they gutted the entire Raceway and rebuilt with the same feel and design of the Autopia tracks at HKDL and DL.
    I've never seen those. What makes them more special than these.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast