First Time at Disneyworld (Looking for Help)

I am looking for help here. I have been watching the web site for the past couple of weeks and have found lots of good information. But I would still like some advice. My wife and I will be arriving in Orlando late in the night on May 4th. And we are able to visit DisneyWorld on May 5-7, the evening of the 8th, and the afternoon and evening of the 9th. I am attending a conference at the JW Marriot so we will be staying there. We live in northern California, and visit Disneyland usually once a year with our kids.

We would like to spend some time at the Magic Kingdom, to see the differences that it has with Disneyland. I know that we won't be able to see everything at Disneyworld, but I would like to do as best as we can. So I am looking for suggestions on what parks to see on what days, and what time should we get there, as it looks like the parks open at 9:00 each day (do they open the gates early) and how long will it take to get from the JW Marriot to Disneyworld?

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Hey there, Proud Papa! Welcome to MiceChat!

Anyhow, the BEST WDW planning site on the planet is located at http://www.allearsnet.com - Deb Will's Unofficial Guide to WDW. It's GREAT!

Anyhow, I'd recommend you visit Deb's site and take a look at the park hours incuding Extra Magic Hours. Those are available only to Disney's onsite resort guests, so you'll want to avoid a park that's had an EMH that morning. Also, the MK is *very* busy on the weekends, so I'd recommend you spend the 6th there, UNLESS you want to be at that park on the 5th - which may be a bit more crowded than the average Thursday since it's the day of the Happiest Celebration on Earth launch - the big party to celebrate Disneyland's 50th birthday.

As for travel time, I'm not sure, but if the Marriott is on International Drive, figure anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes to get onto Disney property, then travel time to your specific park.

Oh, and brace yourself - I'm much more of a WDW regular than I am a DL regular, and to me, the MK stinks when compared to DL. heh
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

Yes, the MK suffers in comparison to DL. I'd still go ... BTW, J.W. Marriott is supposed to be wonderful. I had friends who stayed there recently and LOVED it. Great pool area that it shares with the Ritz Carlton. It's about 15-20 minutes away.

• Mostly Harmless.

Being a West Coaster, and growing up at Disneyland myself, I got lost alot at the MK. Its different but good. Some things are backwards and certain short cuts you may be used to are not there. Somewhat frustrating. But the best park there is definatly EPCOT, I can stay there for days! Anyways have a good time and good luck!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Thanks for the information. I am really looking forward to spending time there with my wife. It will be our first real vacation without kids in 10 years. How long should we plan on spending at the Magic Kingdom compared to Epcot?

• Inappropriate

This is me, but it depends on what you're into. You say you won't be with kids so you could almost skip Fantasyland, unless you like the Fantasyland rides. But Epcot is more adult oriented, so you should spend more time there. Explore the little "secrets" of the park (like the streets of Moracco.) I suggest a dinner with your wife at a WOrld Showcase restaurant, though i don't know what one (someone offer up suggestions!) and watch Illuminations! It's great. But as for time spend at Epcot compared to Magic Kingdom: I don't know exactly. Just spend more time in Epcot. The rest is up to you (or anyone else that could help with my vague ideas.)

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Banned User

Note that Epcot closes at 3pm on May 5th.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Note that Epcot closes at 3pm on May 5th.
    Whoa!!! Why?!?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Banned User

It's a Press Event.