• Banned User

Brush Fire at EPCOT today!

FYI... with Tropical Storm Alberto nearby, I took a quick side trip to EPCOT at around 4pm shortly after the strong showers we had earlier in the day had let up. Today was the last day of EPCOT's Flower fest and I wanted to check out some of the leftover merchandise which is usually reduced in price by now.

Anyways... coming in from I-4 into WDW via EPCOT Center Drive.. As I approached the Epcot exit ramp, I noticed the fire trucks and Security vehicles, all with flashing lights, as a brush fire was being put out within the forresty area encircled by the exit ramp that leads into EPCOT's auto plaza. While I was able to proceed into EPCOT, the lanes to leave EPCOT were closed and traffic deviated away via EPCOT Center Dr. I took my cellphone and took these shots as fire fighters were hosing down what was left of the flames.

Check those pics here:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/
    j/AlbumIndex?u=4334673&a=32209119&f=

The smoke was white in color which I believe means the fire was not longer going, but as a precaution...firefighters were still pouring water, even after the torrential rains we had earlier today.

Nevertheless... this incident did not affect operations at EPCOT and it was business as usual... I went in and was pleased that some of the merchadise was indeed marked down... Bought some garden ornaments that I saw a few weeks ago at almost an 80% discounted price!! Nifty.

Due to the rains...there was a lot of tree debris in the walkways as we had some strong winds earlier today. This was apparent inside EPCOT and also alongside Epcot Center Drive.

Anyways... I just got home, and it continues to be a mostly cloudy afternoon with showers.

Re: Brush Fire at EPCOT today!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    . I took my cellphone and took these shots as fire fighters were hosing down what was left of the flames..
    Thanks for the update.

But I was expecting photos of the firemen in action .
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 06-11-2006 at 05:09 PM.

• Banned User

And they say camera phones are useless.. lol

Oh.. That tropical thing is nothing to worry about.. Most of the rain is hitting us anyway....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic
    Thanks for the update.

But I was expecting photos of the firemen in action with their hoses.

Minds out of the gutter please.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Oy. Yikes.

Thanks for the update.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I heard a different story today TDLFan, my mother and I passed by the spot you were refering to on our ride home.

The CM at our hotel front deak stated that a car had skidded off the road and caught on fire.

Now I know the day before the CM from our Keys Tour confirmed there were brush fires near 192? and that's why it smelled like smoke all day.

it was brush fires. On friday there were so much smoke at the campground from the brush fires. We heard it on the news in our trailer

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by disneydude35
    it was brush fires. On friday there were so much smoke at the campground from the brush fires. We heard it on the news in our trailer
    Oh there were brush fires, I'm just saying that the mini fire that was in one circle of trees that we passed near Epcot was the result of an accident by a car.

That's what we were told anyway and just by looking at it, if it was a brush fire, it was kind of in a weird place for one. (Inbetween exits)

• Minion

Interesting. Hope the weather this year is good to you Floridians for a change. Seems like it's either too much or too little rain.

Glad to hear you got some good deals on stuff, TDLFAN! Sometimes it pays to be patient.

i was wondering if that was where the car caught fire. One of my coworkers seen the car on fire the night before, it must have been a heck of a fire for them to still be working on it the next day. I passed it on my way to work,they had a sign saying danger smoke ahead, i think they were just re wetting everything when i went through. just thought id add my 2 cents