Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Exclamation The NEW Land... step right inside...

Check back tonight after I get full access to photos.

Here's a little preview for you all:

All shall be revealed...

So stay tuned...

• Inappropriate

Ooo! Ooo! I'm excited! I love the Land...yet i don't know why. The only thing I ever do there is the boat ride (which is weird...a boat in the land, and wasn't the old ride thru the Seas a dry ride? Hmm..weird.) I've never even eaten anything there. But i just love being in the building! And now Soarin will be in there....mm....yes!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Uber Disney freak! ºOº

Oh, WOW! *great* pictures! I can't wait until I get down to WDW (in 19 days! WOO HOO!) and get to see it for meself!
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• They wanna know, HO!

There are also more pictures on laughingplace.com, but I know Grizz will trump them when gets the rest up!
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Banned User

Will it be opened by the 20th when I return to WDW???

• Minion

http://www.d-troops.com/news.php#479

30+ pictures/information available right now

Wow! I think it looks beautiful throughout. Thanks for the photos.

I don't see a single change that I don't like. The color schemes, the new signing, and even the handling of the airport theme seems well done. The old Pavilion's styling was seriously dated - extremely 80's and not in a good way. I do miss the original circular icons that were used for each Pavilion in Future World, but it's been clear for a while that they are long gone (only Living Seas' now remains, I think).

I don't think it looks sterile at all. I even like the metal trees. They have done a great job bringing the Pavilion into the 21st century.

• Minion

Let's advance this discussion:

Where can you see the STORY of the Land being improved? Is there anywhere where the story of the Land is NOT being told?

What was the biggest change, and was it for the best? In terms of beauty? In terms of storytelling or uniqueness?

Does the color scheme complement the Land?

Point out new areas where we see man's interaction with nature highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by General Grizz
    Let's advance this discussion:
    So you’re looking for a thesis, eh? Alright...

Where can you see the STORY of the Land being improved?
    The most obvious improvement to the story of The Land is the addition of Soarin’. Regardless of whether the attraction has been borrowed from California Adventure, movie and all, Soarin’ is a gorgeous flight over The Land, showing us vistas such as oceanscapes, mountains, rivers, crops, and civilization. It is a rich, aroma filled extension of the story being told in Living with the Land, providing an exhilarating interaction for the human passengers with nothing but the earth beneath them.

That they have chosen to lead guests into this experience through an airport themed extension of the Pavilion is clever and contemporary. The story it tells us is that through these portals, flight can give you views of The Land that you cannot see from the ground. Rather than take us on some sort of nostalgic trip through the past to theme this attraction, Disney has presented us with an opportunity available to all in the 21st century: a modern airport, inspiring young and old to seek out this connection with the earth and its atmosphere.

Is there anywhere where the story of the Land is NOT being told?
    Not from the views provided so far. Along with the story that Soarin’ and its queue are presenting, the previous stories found inside Living with the Land, Circle of Life, the Garden Grill remain apparently. The rethemed balloons continue to tell us the story of the seasons, now with addition of seasonally themed, vibrantly colored groundscapes below them in the newly configured seating areas. The new, as yet unopened Sunshine Season food court area is providing a new story as well, with new, fresher, and more internationally varied cuisine allowing the ingredients born from The Land to tell their own story through taste.

What was the biggest change, and was it for the best? In terms of beauty? In terms of storytelling or uniqueness?
    Again, the biggest change is the addition of Soarin’ and yes, it is for the best as already described. The fountain is now gone, but the story of water has not been lost since it can be found nearby aboard the boats in Living with the Land. The other most significant and far reaching change is the overall redesign of the Pavilion’s color scheme and introduction of more contemporary materials and styles, from innovative metal trees to eye-popping patterns. The Land now stands unrivalled in beauty compared with Future World’s other Pavilions, offering new visual rhythms and a sense of grace unseen previously inside these walls.

Does the color scheme complement the Land?
    It complements it, it matches it, and it contrasts it all at the same time. The white brings us the color of clouds, apple blossoms, and snow and a feeling of freshness. The seasonal colors on the main floor demonstrate the myriad of colors that swirl around us throughout each year. The bright yellow tapestries surrounding the brightly colored seasonal balloons are like the rays of the sun shining down on The Land below. Overall, the new color scheme brings a new burst of life and airy color to a previously dark, drab, cavernous space.

Point out new areas where we see man's interaction with nature highlighted.
    Soarin’ stands as a testimony to man’s ability to connect with the earth and its atmosphere in new ways. The airport theme reminds us of how we can reach those heights in our everyday lives. The new Sunshine Season dining area will bring us a dramatically different selection of foods. There will be nothing fried, no burgers, and everything will be prepared fresh before your eyes, demonstrating in stark contrast to the previous menu how much smarter man has become about the foods we eat and the methods in which we cook them. Food grown right inside Living with the Land’s hydroponic gardens will provide a touchstone to the story told throughout the Pavilion.

This new era for The Land looks to be one of dynamic excitement, new experiences, and a furthering of the Pavilion’s story without diluting it in the least. The Land looks renewed and envigorated like a bountiful garden and is sure to inspire the imagination and the taste buds, while providing a highly repeatable destination for all to enjoy.

Reservations about the New Land...

Looking at the pictures, I am not so sure I am as enthusiastic as most. I love the Land. It was a great place to relax and get some less-theme-parkish food. the ride was great to ... the green houses fascinated me even though they didn't really change that much. It was a great place.

The new pictures(By the way, thanks Grizz, your reports are always awesome) look alot cleaner and modern but the new interior looks less organic than I was hoping. I think Soarin was an addition that would compliment The Land boat ride. I saw it as the Boat ride in the sky. Making it a travel agency and an airport kinda pulls the attraction further away from a natural theme and closer to a Shopping Mall. I can see nice plastic and carpeting at the local mall. I think that's what it looks like to me so far.

I will reserve passing final judgement on it until I actually get there to see it. Hopefully Disney can pull it off. I guess I was hoping for a more organic return to nature type theme. I somehow imagined a touch of the tree of life themeing as an influence ... I mean it is The Land afterall.

-Gostone

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gostone
    Making it a travel agency and an airport kinda pulls the attraction further away from a natural theme and closer to a Shopping Mall. I can see nice plastic and carpeting at the local mall. I think that's what it looks like to me so far.
    Bingo.

• They wanna know, HO!

I really like the new land, but i was hoping for more wood grains like in Soarin'. Oh well, I still really like it, as Food Rocks was more suited for WoL anyway....
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

My first impressions on the third version of the Land pavillion are very positive. The place (except for the Garden Grill, which looks totally unchanged, including 1982-era booths) looks fantastic, very much in keeping with the original vibe of the place, but modernized for the 21st Century. Unlike Mission Space, which looks great on the outside, but cheap and bare on the inside or Test Track, which looks like an industrial facility (yes, I do know this was the goal, but I don't like it), The Land's new look does harken back to the original COMPLETE Future World pavillions of the original EPCOT Center.

There are three main major attractions in Soarin, Living With the Land and the movie, whose name escapes me at present. Also, a full serve restaurant (albeit one that's been ruined with characters) and a food court. Oh, and educational greenhouse tours as well. As opposed to the shortened experiences we have become conditioned to accept.

I won't comment further on Soarin, since it's a complete, 100% unchanged lift from DCA. The preshow queue is much improved. It does have an airport feel to some degree, but not as much as some say. The huge screens with scences of nature from around the world are terrific and give me hope that we will be soaring over them one day (My gut tells me that Disney will produce a new movie for Epcot's 25th Anniversary and market it as a whole new attraction). So much can be done with this technology.

My biggest (actually only) complaint about the redo is the Seasons food court. While I love the colors and the balloons, I have to question (yet again) the sanity of whoever decided to put carpeting in most of the eating areas. Disney would have to steam clean it nightly to keep it remotely clean, which ain't gonna happen. In one week's usage, it will look so filthy you'd think it had been down for years. (Go vist Pop Century's similarly designed dining areas, which feature a MUCH darker pattern for a preview of the sheer folly of carpet in such a place).

All in all, I give The Land two big thumbs up. I think Disney really got this one right. It FEELS right. ... I don't get that vibe in Mission Space and certainly not in Test Track.

• The Concierge

I went to the PH preview yesterday at EPCOT for Soarin', and I enjoyed the attraction. A group of us went and had a wonderful time..

It seemed our only critiques for the ride were:

A smoother transition in between the scenes, perhaps floating back to the clouds and back down into another scene.. They just seemed very sliced.

Flight Attendant Patrick? Not so sure..

It was very disorganized. They filled the first queue area, then told us to go to the next one, but didn't mention to stop, so everyone started to fill up the second and third queue areas before the preshow attendants were present. Then, when they arrived, they were making comments and gestures about the guests who had lined up because of a lack of direction, which I thought was genuinely rude.

The queue was nice, the setup was airport-ish. We were in the middle, middle, and it was a great view, even though it would have been nicer to not see feet in our view.

Going back today to try it out once more..

I think the land offered a better improvement over the 80's style once before.. although I concur the Garden Grill should have been improved, and seems has not. With that said, I saw somewhere that the GG may be delayed in reopening for a month after the Land reopens, which confused me considering.. and I totally agree with the GG's deployment of characters.. I had a bad experience there with some crazy characters (see other posting) so I am not fond of the GG characters.

Caio,
    Ric
    Director, Concierge Services
    HOLLYWOOD TOWER HOTEL
    established 1939

and featuring
    TIP TOP CLUB

on the top floor

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Im not sure I like the Soarin signage very well. I liked Food Rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast