Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

What EXACTLY is Epcot?

looking for help again...I've been snooping around here..and still haven't answered this question. I would like ya'll's views on Epcot. We will be heading to WDW in Sept..and are planning on spending the morning and afternoon at Animal Kingdom, then, hopping over to Epcot for dinner and the firworks and a few rides there. I was wondering can you explain what Epcot is? I know what Disney describes it as...but, I want a little more in depth. Is it really worth going to see? We will be traveling with my husband, best friend, and daughter (3 yr) I have heard it's not really for kids. Any views help.

Ps. Is Mission Space REALLY that bad? I can't ride because of heart problems and my best friend has asthma, but, my husband is determined. I really don't want him to ride...but, can't stop him. Ease my mind a little, okay?

• Practically Perfect

Re: What EXACTLY is Epcot?

Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow I believe is the exact abbreviation.

It basically started as Walt's idea for a world of the future, but in my opinion only a little of that dream actually made it to the real thing. It is a GREAT park, but I do think that the older you are, the more you can enjoy it. The world walk is amazing, and Illuminations (the fireworks show) further carries the message that we are all important and equal, regardless of our race or other 'distinguishing' characteristics.

Ride wise it might not have AS much to offer as, say, Magic Kingdom, but it is still a place that I love visiting repeatedly. I think in terms of the message and wonderful atmosphere, no one should miss going to this park. As for the kids, EPCOT also has (I think) the most characters for them to meet. When I last went I got to see: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale, Alice, Mary Poppins, Pooh, Tigger, EEyore, Aladdin, Jasmine, Snow White, and Dopy all in one day at Epcot.

As for mission space...I skipped that one when I went...you'll have to let me know

• Practically Perfect

PS- anyone feel free to corret any mistakes I made...I think I got most of it right, but you never can be too sure...

• Hello there

Blog Entries

My 4 yr old nephew loves EPCOT (or as he refers it- as the park with the big ball) They have a lot of character meets and each country has something for the kids. There is a lot to see and the World Showcase is really nice. The rides are on the educational side and there definetly is not as many as the MAgic Kingdom, but definetly a place to visit. There are plenty of places to eat, especially in the World Showcase. It is one of my most favorite in WDW. As for Animal Kingdom, it is like a half day park - I am usually done there by 2PM.

Have fun!!!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

I for one love Epcot, mostly for the combination of rides and World Showcase. I think it provides time to relax AND play at the same time. I have a heart problem and rode MS. I'm going to ride the Green (less intense) when I go again in July. I'm not saying to do it, but I was ok, you need to know your own limits. You can sit out while he rides or take a walk around WS. I agree with Mouse princess about the edutaiment of the park as well. If you approach it the correct way with kids they will enjoy it as much if not more than you do. Hope this helps.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Epcot was and still is two seperate parks: Future World and World Showcase. Future World is where you are going to find the rides: Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, Test Track, Soarin', Mission: SPACE, Spaceship Earth (yes, there is a ride inside to golf ball), etc. The only rides in World Showcase are El Rio Del Tiempo (Mexico) and Maelstrom (Norway). A few of the other country pavillions have films utilizing CircleVision 360 (or about 180 is France). The American Adventure is a big AA show. If you're all really into rides than Future World should be a priority as World Showcase has more to walk around and explore. Eitherway, Illuminations: Reflections of Earth is not to be missed.

If you want to see a lot of the park it is going to take a bit of walking. World Showcase itself is rather large. Its circular layout means there is no direct path between pavillions opposit each other (minus the boats that cross World Showcase).

Mission: SPACE is safe. As long as your husband meets the requirements (posted everywhere) and is confident he will be fine (I say confident because I still believe a lot of people make themselves sick based on what they have heard.). The two deaths that occuried were the result of guests who did not meet the requirements. Eleven million people have been on and are fine.

Epcot is probably my favorite park. It appeals to both my science nature and my love of different cultures. I like the World Showcase and Future World. I love the Food and Wine Festival and the Flower and Garden Festival. I like its proximity to the Boardwalk Villas and its nighttime show Illuminations.

I LOVE Mission: Space and I'm a life long asthmatic.
    They key to riding Mission: Space is know your body's limits and heed Disney's warnings. For me that means I will NOT ride Mission: Space when my breathing isn't near 100% because the forces it does put on your chest during the launch portion makes it harder to breathe when your breathing is already compromised. And I don't just do this for Mission: Space, I do this for all thrill rides...especially those with chest restraints. I think that is just common sense. If you aren't feeling okay, maybe you shouldn't ride today!

My DH also loves Mission: Space. I wouldn't let him ride last month because his breathing was off and he was having "tummy issues."
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

I would guess that I've been to epcot 50 times or so, and it seems that I notice something different each time that I go... and no I haven't done mission space I'm not into spinning rides, and I don't see the point of going on the stationary version if I can't get the same effects. Oh well, I'll take "Soarin'" anytime.
    "Captain Bill"

• We're number one!

Only the best/worst park every created!

Nah I'm just kidding. I love going to Epcot. Lots of stuff for the kids and adults to do, but still more relaxing than MK. I have to say though I'm more in love with the Epcot that was (Horizons, World of Motion, etc.) than what is has become.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Epcot was and still is two seperate parks: Future World and World Showcase. Future World is where you are going to find the rides: Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, Test Track, Soarin', Mission: SPACE, Spaceship Earth (yes, there is a ride inside to golf ball), etc. The only rides in World Showcase are El Rio Del Tiempo (Mexico) and Maelstrom (Norway). A few of the other country pavillions have films utilizing CircleVision 360 (or about 180 is France). The American Adventure is a big AA show. If you're all really into rides than Future World should be a priority as World Showcase has more to walk around and explore. Eitherway, Illuminations: Reflections of Earth is not to be missed.

If you want to see a lot of the park it is going to take a bit of walking. World Showcase itself is rather large. Its circular layout means there is no direct path between pavillions opposit each other (minus the boats that cross World Showcase).

Mission: SPACE is safe. As long as your husband meets the requirements (posted everywhere) and is confident he will be fine (I say confident because I still believe a lot of people make themselves sick based on what they have heard.). The two deaths that occuried were the result of guests who did not meet the requirements. Eleven million people have been on and are fine.
    What he said, on top of that though EPCOT is still the park with class. It has lost a lot of it's educational bits, but you can still come out of EPCOT having had fun, and having learned something. EPCOT is still really an adult park, which I guess is why the older I get the more I like it. It never seems to have the...how do I put it...trashier loud-foul mouthed groups that you find else where. At least not nearly to the extent of other parks, so you usually come out happy. It is a very easy park to have a drink and relax in.
    Or a very easy place to have a few too many drinks and really relax in.

If you have never been: Go. It is a great place.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I have been way to close to that before
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• insufferable know-it-all

EPCOT's always been my favorite Florida park... mostly because it's so different. Never been much of one for Future World, though I always have to take a run through "The Land" on my trips, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE World Showcase!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

One more thing about Epcot...where else can you attempt to drink through 11 countries in one evening?
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

I've done Mission Space a few dozen times at least. I am an asthmatic and a critical care paramedic. So long as your husband has no underlying health problems I am confident all will be fine. As someone else said, millions have ridden this ride without a problem. See if your local carnivals ferris wheel has a safety record that good. MS and Disney as a whole just gets way more publicity. My girlfriend even went on MS one month post neurosugrery, and has since been on about 6 times.

As for the rest of Epcot, I am often conflicted about which park is my favorite, but it may come down to Epcot. Future world has a neat vibe with some cool rides, and the World Showcase is an experiance to be had. Great food, great atmospher, and what is, in my opinion, beyond question, the best nightime show around: illuminations.

Make sure you stop by, make sure you get to see both parts of the park, and try and stay for the show. You wont regret it. Have a wonderful time.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Thank you all for your information...that's SO great of you!!! One more thing..Princess said you can Animal Kingdom in half a day....is the other half enough to do epcot in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast