Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best time to go: August or September?

Hey everyone, I'm going to WDW for the first time later this summer. I will be going either towards the end of August or the beginning of September. When would be the best time to go? How late are the parks open during this time? Is this still considered peak-season or off-peak? Thanks.
    Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up.

Blog Entries

Re: Best time to go: August or September?

They are offering free dining for that time. We are going September 17-23. The main downside is weather, potential hurricanes and humidity. Crowds should be lower.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I am considering doing the free dining thing in September as well; but I am worried a little since I have heard horror stories of people who did this last year and ended up using their sit-down meals at fast food places because they coud not get a seat at any of the nicer places due to the fact that just about everyone there had the free dining too.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Sept 4th I beleive is one of the quietest days. Get all your answers for how busy the park is here:

WDW Best Days

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    I am considering doing the free dining thing in September as well; but I am worried a little since I have heard horror stories of people who did this last year and ended up using their sit-down meals at fast food places because they coud not get a seat at any of the nicer places due to the fact that just about everyone there had the free dining too.
    you can make reservations up to 180 days in advance so as soon as you know when you are coming.. call disney dining and they will check things for you. it's very easy and they ask if you have the meal plan as well. you can also call the reservations line and they can connect you to dining. but do it as soon as you figure out your schedule and that way you have the reservation. if you change your mind you can always cancel

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Labor day weekend- The Best Time To GO!!!!!I go during this time and there is usually like no one in the parks. Lovely!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Groovy! That's when we're going! I was SO worried about that! I was thinking it would be insane since it's labor day....but, then, it's a value season....AND our 7th anniversary. we've never done anything for our anniversary...this is making up for it!

• Banned User

labor day weekend can be crowded but after that it's not. I have been there several times during the weekend leading up to it and it seems that lots of people go to have their last summertime fling. the park still does summer hours that weekend too if I remember right.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. They really help. It looks like September seems to be the preferred month. I'm not too worried about the weather. Personally I LOVE the humidity and I've been in a few down pours before. My only concern is not being able to experience certain attractions for whatever reasons. My original plans were to go in October, but then I would run into all the Halloween events, and I really want to experience the parks as they are, promotion-free. I will be also hitting up the Universal parks, and I know that their extremely popular Halloween Horror Nights will be taking place in October. I've come across this problem with Knott's closing down their attractions as early as August to ready them for Haunt. I just want to catch everything open and in its original incantation.

One more question, is it possible to experience both MGM and AK all in the same day? We do plan to park-hop.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I'd definately try Sept. That's what we're trying for this year. we went in early August last year and almost died from the heat. Now, we're from Mississippi...so, we're used to hot weather and humidity...but, this was different. It sucked all the energy out of us...we were exhaused. When we went back in Nov...for the Very Merry Christmas it was great!!! Weather wise. There was a crowd, though. We were aiming for Oct this year, but, you get better deals in Sept. So, hopefully everything works out well for you and us, too.

• Defying gravity

two words about September - HURRICANE SEASON!!!!!!!!!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by DizneeFanatico
    One more question, is it possible to experience both MGM and AK all in the same day? We do plan to park-hop.

It depends on how well you want to see the parks. If you j/ hit the major attractions, then yes. But if you actually want to take your time and enjoy details, then no.

My proposed itinerary (not good if you are really short on time):

Studios - 1 day
    Animal Kingdom - 1 day
    Epcot - 2 1/2 days
    Magic Kingdom - 2 1/2 days

***Note: I think AK can be seen in one day easier than the Studios, but it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    two words about September - HURRICANE SEASON!!!!!!!!!
    So is August, which was the other choice. Hurricane season runs between June and November with August-September-October being the height of the season.

I'll echo September over August because of the lower crowds. Think about it, most kids are back in school that month whereas in August you still have part of the country still on Summer vacation.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

Quote Originally Posted by DizneeFanatico
    . I just want to catch everything open and in its original incantation.
    WDW doesn't do any Halloween layovers for their rides. They just have MNSSHP and some of the resorts offer Halloween events. October is one of my favorite times to go because of MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival.

CBJ does get a Christmas layover, but that's in November.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast