Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about the Grand Floridian

hi guys, it's my 21st birthday in November and I'm going to WDW (exactly 10 years after my first trip! I've been 4 times since then!), but i won't be staying on Disney property. however, it's always been my dream to stay in the grand floridian and i was considering booking 2 nights there-the night before my birthday, and the night of my birthday. can anyone tell me would there more than likely be rooms available if I just went in and asked that day, or would it be safer to book it before I go? Also, can anyone who has stayed there give me any hints or advice about rooms with the best view, the hotel restaurant, etc? anything you'd like to share I'd love to hear! thanks so much!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: question about the Grand Floridian

I don't think that I would arrive at WDW without a reservation, if I wanted to stay in a specific hotel. I have never stayed at GF before, but I will be staying there on July the 27th, and the 28th. 2 nights at GF after 6 nights at CBR. You didn't say when your birthday was. I am fulfilling one of my fondest wishes, also. I figure 2 nights is better than none. I will post a review, when I get back.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Banned User

book ahead that way you know you have the room. you can always cancel if you change your mind.

• Monorail Racer

A hotel like the Grand Floridian should definitely be booked in advance. Especially during the busy summer season. It's worth asking about it if you're already there and haven't booked in advance though. You can call the reservations number or talk to Guest Relations just about anywhere in WDW and they can find out if there's a room available for you. There may be a cancellation. It may not be a bargain rate room, however. So be prepared for a possible $400 a night or much higher rate.

The 1800 Park Faire restaurant is ok. I'd probably pick another place to eat myself, however. Victoria and Albert's is wonderful, but definitely requires some advance reservations. The Chef's Table is a 6-month advance thing I believe. It's booked solid long in advance. Of course, it's also quite a pricey dining experience. $100+ per person.

• World Traveler

We stayed at the GF for our last trip two weeks ago. We reserved a garden view room. A few days before we arrived, I faxed the hotel and asked them for a king size bed, non smoking and said that any possible upgrade would be appreciated as it had been our birthdays the week prior.

When we arrived, we did not get a king size bed, but we had been assigned a room with a Magic Kingdom view. Also, they had set up a pair of Mickey Mouse figurines made of white chocolate on a plate with cookies and truffles with our names on it, written in chocolate. There were also birthday cards for us ... one from Donald Duck for me and one from Chip N Dale for Adam!

It was definitely the best stay I've had on property, with the Magic Kingdom so close and convenient. We would take the monorail to the park (the first stop) and return via the boat.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I wish I could afford to stay on Disney property.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I would rather have a shorter vacation on Disney property than a longer vacation at just any other hotel.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

I work at the Grand Floridian, and my advice would be not to show up without a reservation. Our occupancy is always in the upper 90% range. If you do just show up you will pay the rack rate, there are no discounts with walk-ins. You can probably get a better rate by booking in advance. In regards to King Beds, King Beds at Disney resorts are very rare, it's a family resort therefore maximum bedding is usually the requirement. The Grand Floridian has less than 40 rooms out of 867 with King Beds and most of those are either in suites or honeymoon rooms. That does not leave much king beds for the "standard" rooms. In addition, Magic Kingdom Views are NOT guaranteed, and getting one is pure luck. The better your chances at getting one book a lagoon view, but remember the resort sits on a peninsula, which meand there are 3 sides that face the water, one of those sides faces the Polynesian, one the Contemporary and One side faces the Magic Kingdom. The resort does not guarantee Magic Kingdom views nor do they guarantee a King Bed. Unlike many other Disney resorts, the Grand Floridian standard beds are Queen not Double beds.

The Grand is a wonderful place to stay and a wonderful place to work. If you can afford it on your 21st birthday then do it. Seriously though consider how much time you'll spend in the room, and whether it's worth it or not.

For me, I'd rather stay 5 days at Pop Century for what one day at the Grand would cost. But then again that's me.

Barbaraann, love all those favorite thiings in your string there except one. Get that Cubs logo out of there. As a former Chicagoan, I know you cannot be a fan of both the Cubs and White Sox, it's got to be one or the other LOL Coming from the south side myself, The White Sox are always number one in my book. LOL Have a Magical Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    I would rather have a shorter vacation on Disney property than a longer vacation at just any other hotel.
    ...Amen!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Keep in mind that a lot of people think this hotel isn't worth the cost. If you've always dreamed of staying there and can afford to throw money at the dream, then more power to you. However, you can get more for your money's worth elsewhere in other WDW hotels if budget is a deciding factor to you at all.

I guess part of my problem with the GF it is that our resorts out here have a much more fancy vision of luxury than Disney can realistically ever afford in one of their hotels (although the GCH is very nice.) Tile floors a guy playing a piano under a big chandelier isn't enough to "go all the way" for me anymore. And the prices! I mean, that $400 a night for the Grand Floridian can get you a 1020 sq ft suite at the Bellagio or a 1400 sqft monster at the Venetian with seperate living/bath/bedrooms and a marble entry foyer.

Of course, that's just what I'd be thinking if I was turning 21 and flying to America as a birthday reward. I guess some people might prefer WDW, but who am I to criticize.

thanks for all your help guys. unfortunately i can't afford to spend the whole time on Disney property either! i was actually offered a job in the college program (supposed to fly out today) but I had to turn it down, so I would have been working there for my birthday. it's always been my dream to stay in the GF so now I'm going to do it for 2 nights! i would be SO happy with a magic kingdom view (seeing Wishes from your window!) but I won't get my hopes up. keep the reviews and suggestions coming I really appreciate it!

The Grand Floridian is a wonderful resort. Let me say that first of all.

But it isn't close to being worth the prices Disney charges, which are five-star caliber. In my opinion, the GF is a 3.5 star type of property. When I stayed there, I paid $169 a night and was upgraded to a partial MK view. I feel that's about what it's worth.

For what Disney charges at the Grand, you can save money by staying at the Ritz Carlton and/or J.W. Marriott Grande Lakes, the Hyatt Grand Cypress or Gaylord Palms and receive a MUCH higher caliber of room and service.

Myself, I'd rather stay at either the Contemporary or Poly, which both feature great new rooms or either WL or DAK Lodge, which are much less expensive and provide a wonderful product for their price points.

Wl and DAK are really worth the money. I was upgraded when I arrived and also was reminded that I could use my AAA card which helped a bit with the rate. The Ritz Carlton is awesome. But it is your birthday...and two nights is better than none. Have a great time.

The Ritz Carlton also currently has rooms available at $239 a night. I'd venture to say the GF is much higher than that. And you can't compare them, sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast