• Defying gravity

Question Any News About the 2nd Half of Pop Century???

I stayed in the 60s section of PC this summer. It was okay but we bought into DVC at Saratoga Springs recently. No more value resorts for us!!!

The 2nd half of PC is built, but not furnished. It's just a brown building. I've heard rumors that it was going to be built as family suites or even become a part of DVC.

Any other news/rumors or opening dates that anyone knows about?

• Defying gravity

Re: Any News About the 2nd Half of Pop Century???

Oh yeah, and will the two PCs be treated as different hotels like POFQ and PORR or will it all be the same?

Well I have no answer about the unfinished Pop Century. All I heard about those buildings is that they were going to be made into the earlier decades like the 1900's-40's

But the two Port Orleans resorts are treated as different hotels cause they always were like that, PORiverside used to be Dixie Landings but after a refurb in about 2001 they just changed the name. To sound like the it's neighbor hotel POFQ which was closed completely around the same time.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I, too, saw the big, brown buildings just waiting to have something done to them during our stay.

On a similar note, it looked like they were turning the first-floor rooms in our building when we stayed into adjoining rooms as well, unless they have always been like that.

Blog Entries

There's an article on Jim Hill's page showing pictures of what all is back there. They're not all built, just the main hall and one or two hotel buildings. There's wiring and water run all over the place out there however.

The rumor is that if the all star suites go over well and demand is needed that they'll turn that portion into suites. I agree it needs to be finished and I think it will someday. Unfortunately 9-11 happened and the remainding construction was halted as there was just no demand for it after that. Things are picking back up so hopefully it'll happen again.

• If We Can Dream It...

^Ditto. The whole area will be treated as one resort from what I understand. They didn't originally plan on there being this much of a wait before the second phase opened. I think the earlier years were planned to open in '02 originally.

• If We Can Dream It...

Okay, I just looked at my old Birnbaum's from '02.

From the book:

"Like the All-Star REsorts, Pop Century is a vivid celebration of Americana. Set to open in two phases, the 5,760-room resort has two major sections: the Legendary Years and the Classic Years, representing the first and second halves of the twentieth century respectively. Each resort has 2,880 rooms housed in ten buildings.(The Classic Years is the first area to welcome guests, opening some buildings in spring 2002. The Legendary Years is scheduled for completion in 2003.)"

Looks like I was wrong. I should of know they would be considered two separate resorts since there are two check-in areas. Oh well, I though that snippet might be useful none the less.

The Pop Century was originally conceived as two hotels comprising the Pop Century Resort. The first hotel was the Pop Century: The Classic Years and covered the 1950's to 1990's. The second hotel, Pop Century: The Legendary Years was to cover the 1900's to the 1940's. Each was to have it's own front desk and gift shop/food court. Each hotel was to have 2880 rooms. Construction of the Legendary Years was halted after 9-11 du to the slump in travel and there is no current timeline for completion.

• Banned User

As much as I hate to see them throw more money to build more hotels, instead of investing it wisely (in projects such as MK upgrades and refurbishings) I honestly would hope for them to finish whatthey have started. Those unfinished buildings look horrible and should be either done for good or demolished. So, what is it going to be Disney??? Huh??

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    As much as I hate to see them throw more money to build more hotels, instead of investing it wisely (in projects such as MK upgrades and refurbishings) I honestly would hope for them to finish whatthey have started. Those unfinished buildings look horrible and should be either done for good or demolished. So, what is it going to be Disney??? Huh??
    I agree, they're such an eyesore.

I think they will eventually be finished. If not, they should rename the resort to "The Pop Half Century"

• Pilot EdForceOne

gotta build hotels.. keep that money ONSITE not off site in Orlando where people are more likely to spend money offsite and visit other parks.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I think Disney's main focus is on the DVC properties right now, and I don't think they would want the other half of Pop to be a DVC-exclusive. I think they'll eventually do something with them.

Honestly, I had no clue that they had been sitting there that long.