Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• golly gawrrsh

Post entrance into the parks

I recently got back from spending time down in Disneyworld with my wife and daughter. Where we noticed a new added feature at the entrance gate from the last time we were there 2 yrs ago. Among the bag checks with security you than put your park pass in the slot to go thru the turnstile,but now in addition you have to put 2 fingers in this type of fingerprint analysis machine.
    Does anyone know what this is all about?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: entrance into the parks

It's not fingerprints, but more bone strcuture. It's being converted to a one finger system (easier to use). Basically it is to help with ticket fruad.

• Monorail Racer

Last two times I was there, we had to do it a few times to get it to work right. If you're off a tad (by not placing the fingers right or messing up when they set it the first time), you'll constantly get failures.

I don't blame 'em for trying to get the ticket fraud under control. It's a huge industry down there.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• I was deleted.

They are also in the process of testing out a one-finger system to assist with guest situations. It's not that difficult to master, but most guests don't really think about what they are doing, push DOWN sometimes, move to the side, don't stay still, or are too busy watching their kids/pushing strollers, etc.

not to be a trouble maker, but some question how 'sanitary' such a system is with people sticking fingers one after another. I was waved by the system last time I went down. You are right, the fraud ticket business is huge.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Well think of all the things that dollar bill in your wallet has been through.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Well think of all the things that dollar bill in your wallet has been through.
    I agree. I worked for a company that installed such a system for punching in/out. It sat on the wall, unused, next to the old 'time-card' machine for a few months before someone told me it was coming out because someone complained it was not sanitary. My point...this system may actually slow the process down (for many reasons, including the one above) and maybe something 'better' can avoid such issues.

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    It's not fingerprints, but more bone strcuture.
    Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but where did you get your information? Those are biometric scanners that index fingerprints using ingfrared detection. It would be almost impossible to identify people using bone structure, which most people have identical bones...

Fingerprints are unique to each individual. Plus, we had the same machines at my old workplace and I have seen what the fingerprint indexes look like.

Cooknthyme:

When you went 2 years ago, it must have been right before they put those in. I guess they were put in about 2 years ago now. They do cause headaches though.

I'm hoping the new one finger system works well and is less confusing.

Blog Entries

The new ones are biometric, I'm not sure the old two finger system is. I have read that the two finger system measures the two fingers and distance between certain locations on them. Whether they also analyze fingerprints I don't know, but I've heard from some reliable people that the two finger versions are more of a measurement system than a biometric scan system.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    The new ones are biometric, I'm not sure the old two finger system is. I have read that the two finger system measures the two fingers and distance between certain locations on them. Whether they also analyze fingerprints I don't know, but I've heard from some reliable people that the two finger versions are more of a measurement system than a biometric scan system.
    That's my understanding as well.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    It's not that difficult to master, but most guests don't really think about what they are doing, push DOWN sometimes, move to the side, don't stay still, or are too busy watching their kids/pushing strollers, etc.
    I prefer to not be so nice, and say it isn't that people don't think about what they are doing, it is that they can't think about what they are doing. I mean after seeing a CM tell someone 3-4 times "just two fingers sir" you have to say it is just too complicated of a system for a majority of visitors.

It used to be fine when it was just APs who had it...I mean most APs would go out of their way to make sure they knew it 100% ( ) anyways, so it was nice. The new readers just slow the entering down so much.

And

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yes well since it posted this, and posted it twice... here is the rest of what I was going to say...lol.
    It doesn't read fingerprints it reads your fingers, assigns points to them, and looks for the points to more or less match the next time you put the fingers in.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The 2 finger thing has been in place since at least 2000. I remember having to do it when I had my annual pass that year.

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    It doesn't read fingerprints it reads your fingers, assigns points to them, and looks for the points to more or less match the next time you put the fingers in.
    Somewhat correct. The first generation scanners scan a crude pixelated fingerprint and possibly measure the finger I guess, but I've seen the same exact machines in use and have seen the fingerprints before.

The new ones are true optical biometric.

• Delawarean Girl

Question Re: entrance into the parks

My problem is why did they make it so you have to walk so far for the check you bags tables? Couldn't they make one for both ends? It would be easier for people who come out of the buses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast