Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Fastpass Hater

'Coming Soon to World Showcase' Scan from' 82 Epcot Book

I found an old "EPCOT Center: A Pictorial Souvenir" book at a thrift store and thought these were some interesting pages about future World Showcase pavillions. I knew about the Africa plans previously, but I never knew they were this "official" about Israel or Spain.

• Defying gravity

Re: 'Coming Soon to World Showcase' Scan from' 82 Epcot Book

hmm....I've never heard those rumors either. Adding Spain would be a good idea, or maybe Russia and/or India.

• Sailing Away

I knew they had that temporary Spain vineyard display set up between the African huts and Germany a few years ago, but I guess that didn't spark enough interest. Doesn't the Spain description remind you of the Mexico pavillon a little bit?

I say they should open the Millennium Village back up. That was way cool.

I never knew about Israel either. I wonder why the plan feel through.
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

Spain is very different from Mexico. Mexico is a land of ancient history with much more besides Spanish influece. The Colonial Period of Mexico tried to emulate the feel of Spain as they were the rulers, but if done properly in pavillions they would be different. Spain would be a nice addition, but hence there is not much space even though there were plans when World Showcase open for expansion and having 4 or 5 empty pads for future pavillions.

I think today the most interesting pavillions would be Spain, Australia, India, Greece, and/or Russia. All are "historically-rich" (as in they have long span of culture [not terms of wealth]) countries with possilibties for rides and films.

Israel plan never got off the ground because of the imense tension of the country's affairs or the fact that no sponsor (whether an Israeli company or the Israeli government) came foward to finance it. The government issue was the factor for the loss of Spain, Russia fell through because of the loss of the Disney Decade, turmoil in the USSR/Russian Federation, and the fact that all of the companies that proposed funding were tied to the mob. Africa was an issue over apartheid because South African companies proposed funding..

• We're number one!

My aunt has the same book and it always interested me to see these countries listed in the back. It's saddens me also because World Showcase hasn't had any new additions since Norway!

• World Traveler

If you look carefully at the lampposts between Norway and Italy, you can see the Israeli and Spanish inspired lampposts.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

World Showcase definitely needs something new. They should build the boat ride in Germany. The building is there... it just needs to be filled.

• Sailing Away

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood
    Spain is very different from Mexico. Mexico is a land of ancient history with much more besides Spanish influece. The Colonial Period of Mexico tried to emulate the feel of Spain as they were the rulers, but if done properly in pavillions they would be different. Spain would be a nice addition, but hence there is not much space even though there were plans when World Showcase open for expansion and having 4 or 5 empty pads for future pavillions.
    I was looking more at the actual pavilion description - a ride about the country's history, a water side restaurant, a marketplace type shopping area. Yes, the countries are very different, but I would like to think that the pavilion would offer different elements.
    - Walt Disney

There were actually signs that announced Spain, Israel and Africa pavillions as 'coming soon' that were up from 1982-83 because I have pics of them.

Other pavillions that were planned at various stages included Venezuela, Costa Rica, Switzerland, Russia and Iran (yes, really!) and a few others I can't recall.

• Shablagoo!

I remember hearing about Denmark at one point. It was going to have a Lego display. It might have been meant to be sponsored by Lego as well.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Spain was also rumored up to 7 years ago. The Spanish Gov't in 1999 said they had signed a deal with Disney.

• Drunk On Disney

Wow, adding THREE pavillions! I know where Africa was supposed to go. Does anyone have guesses on the other two spots?

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Incognito

Blog Entries

How awesome would a tapas bar be overlooking the lagoon! God I love tapas.

Poor World Showcase, it really does need a little lovin' with a new nation added with an actual ride. Switzerland would be fun, then you could have a larger Matterhorn coaster ride (which I know was in the works as I've seen drawings).

How about India. There could be a ride where you sit in one of those teeny tiny cabs they have there on a crazy street ride through New Delhi. Or better yet make it a whole country ride where you pass the Taj Mahal, and drive through the Himalayas and through countrysides before ending right back where you started from. Kinda like an "educational" Mr Toad goes to India

How about adding a haunted castle type attraction to the U.K. Make it somewhat educational and fun and scary.

Or a dune buggy type ride (or coaster) through the deserts of Morocco.

• Sailing Away

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    How about India. There could be a ride where you sit in one of those teeny tiny cabs they have there on a crazy street ride through New Delhi. Or better yet make it a whole country ride where you pass the Taj Mahal, and drive through the Himalayas and through countrysides before ending right back where you started from. Kinda like an "educational" Mr Toad goes to India

Fabulous idea!
    - Walt Disney

• The one, the only...

I think that the elements for a great showcase are:

1) Distinctive architecture, culture, and language.

2) FOOD! Since right now the WS is really the prime restaurant row for WDW, it seems that good food is essential.

I would say Israel does not really cut it for architecture or food.

Spain has a great history, but its food is not known in the US.

Africa is a continent not a nation. I don't understand the mismatch. South Africa is a nation, but I understand that it is still in the penalty box.

Top choices would be India, Thailand, Greece and Russia. All have interesting histories and food. Since there are so many European countries, I think India or Thailand would be the best choices.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast