• Disney Memory Maker

Post New Biometric Readers

According to the Inside the Magic blog, certain biometric readers have been changed. The old two-finger readers have been changed to a one-finger reader (you place the tip of your index finger on it). Note that these still are biometric readers & don't take your finger print. (A picture is on the blog)

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Self Congratulative

Re: New Biometric Readers

Ummm.... a biometric reader is one that takes a fingerprint.....

The new ones are standard biometric readers which DO read your fingerprint. The read your fingerprint by electrical charge that your finger conducts through the plate on which your finger rests. Each finger has a different pattern of ridges which make up the print and therefore each finger conducts a distinct electrical current. The finger lines trip an array of individual sensors and therefore it can make a pattern of your finger using the electrical short circuits. It's not necessarily "optical" in the sense of using CCD's like a camera. The old ones measured your finger as well as made a crude infrared fingerprint read. Your finger pressed on the white plastic base made a fingerprint which was then converted into a black and white image, but these were less accurate than the new ones and the filesizes are a lot smaller for the biometric.

The new ones are also purely fingerprint.

I work for a company that uses them frequently.
    Last edited by Taggart; 06-21-2006 at 05:24 PM.

• Disney Memory Maker

No, these are not fingerprint readers. They measure the dimensions of your finger, they do not record your fingerprint. The old readers measured the spacing & dimensions of your two fingers. I've been told this by many many many people on other forums who work at the parks (go to WDWMagic's forum & you'll see that in basically every post).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• I was deleted.

Yup! I had heard they were testing this... so I guess it's gone full circle resort wide?

• Banned User

It’s only at select MK turnstiles right now I believe... and those are used in the morning or busy times…

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    No, these are not fingerprint readers. They measure the dimensions of your finger, they do not record your fingerprint. The old readers measured the spacing & dimensions of your two fingers. I've been told this by many many many people on other forums who work at the parks (go to WDWMagic's forum & you'll see that in basically every post).
    You're wrong. These new readers are capable of taking a fingerprint. I've seen the actual description from the company that makes these. They can take your fingerprint. That is what they do. Now, they can also convert your fingerprint into numerical data and store it in a database, but it does take your fingerprint, make no mistake.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    It’s only at select MK turnstiles right now I believe... and those are used in the morning or busy times…
    Yes, that is correct. They are located on the left-most turnstyles to the right of Mickey' face as you enter the MK. I already had the pleasure of trying them... and while they are easier to use, theystill work no more efficiently than the old ones... meaning, slow to read the tickets and finger prints.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    You're wrong. These new readers are capable of taking a fingerprint.
    Whether or not they are capable of taking fingerprints, they don't. They take a biometric reading of a mathematical representation of the finger and store it in their database (not on the card). The representation cannot be turned back into a fingerprint. They are moving to the one-finger reader because it was hard for some people to do the 2-finger reader (like children & people with arthritis). If they recorded fingerprints, they'd likely open themselves to a privacy lawsuit (not necessarily a successful one though).

Now personally, I wouldn't care if it took a fingerprint. Either way, it would definitely be faster than the two-finger reader because you wouldn't have to keep squeezing your fingers until the measurement is correct. Also, I'm from the belief that why care if you have nothing to hide.

• Banned User

You're missing the point. These readers do take your fingerprint... they just don't save it, they save numerical data.

• If We Can Dream It...

I was down there two weeks ago and was fortunate enough to get to use one of the new machines. They are way faster than the old machines. Our line let basically 2 people thru for every 1 in the other line. I had a feeling it read your fingerprint. When I put my index finger on it, it heated up and got stayed pretty warm. Hopefully they implement these machines all over. We didn't have to put up with people just being completely lost on how to work the machines. I got two words for you...big improvement.