• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Coronado Springs information needed

We're going to WDW at the end of August. We were planning on staying at the Poly(my dream resort) but now, we've decided to bring my cousin and decided to go for two rooms at a moderate(6 people) We got the Coronado Springs, any suggestions on a good location?

I'm not too worried about the size of the resort, we stayed at Caribbean Beach last time and loved it and had little issues with the resort size.

I know about the 10% charge at Pepper Market, but don't plan to do a lot of dining there so I'm safe

How's the distance to the parks compared to Caribbean Beach?

Any little tidbits about CS would be great!

TIA

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Coronado Springs information needed

The CSR is by far my favorite of the moderates. Ask for the Casitas section. It's right by the main buildings, and has far nicer theming than the other sections (fountains, topiary, courtyards, etc.). As to location, it's probably about as far to the parks as the Caribbean. And don't avoid the food court just because of their silly 10% thing. Their breakfast is excellent, and the servers do a good job of keeping your beverages fresh.

There's just something special about the layout of this resort, with the rooms surrounding the 15 acre Lago Dorado lake. It's especially cool in the early morning, enjoying a cup of coffee and watching the steam rise off the lake. You won't be disappointed!

• Former CM

I really like CSR too. I'll stay there before going back to CBR. Due to a convention going the buses were not as full as other resrots. Drive wise it seemed to my group that it was quicker to most parks then CBR. If you have the dining plan then don't worry about the extra 10% since it's covered and even a steak from Pepper Market counts as a quick service selection.

• Banned User

i ate at the food court when it first opened and really liked it. It was a gret spot for a quick lunch bite. so what is the deal with 10% is there a surcharge if you are staying on the resort? that seems silly.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    The CSR is by far my favorite of the moderates. Ask for the Casitas section. It's right by the main buildings, and has far nicer theming than the other sections (fountains, topiary, courtyards, etc.). As to location, it's probably about as far to the parks as the Caribbean. And don't avoid the food court just because of their silly 10% thing. Their breakfast is excellent, and the servers do a good job of keeping your beverages fresh.

There's just something special about the layout of this resort, with the rooms surrounding the 15 acre Lago Dorado lake. It's especially cool in the early morning, enjoying a cup of coffee and watching the steam rise off the lake. You won't be disappointed!
    I agree 100% with what the fine, young Mr. Young said and will only add that staying in Ranchos section wasn't bad. Bit of a walk to the main lobby, but there are carts that you can hitch a ride with if you want. (Be sure and tip the drivers!) Also, there are bus stops surrounding the resort, so it's a short walk to get to one from practically anywhere in the resort. Make a long story short, if you can't get Casitas, and get stuck in one of the back buildings, you'll still enjoy your stay there.

BTW, I'm with Cmash95 in wondering what the "10% thing" that everyone keeps talking about. Did the Dining Plan back in Feb. when we stayed there, so maybe didn't notice it??

• Defying gravity

Yeah, what is the 10% charge?

• Monorail Racer

It's an automatic gratuity charge. It's included if you have the Dining Plan, so that's why you might not notice it if you have that.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoaster
    It's an automatic gratuity charge. It's included if you have the Dining Plan, so that's why you might not notice it if you have that.
    This is done only at Pepper Market? Or is this done at other restaraunts at WDW as well?

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    This is done only at Pepper Market? Or is this done at other restaraunts at WDW as well?
    Stayed at Coronado Springs Summer of 2001.

To the best of my knowledge this is the only food court at the resorts that has a surchage. The 10% is added on to the price of your bill because the food court works a bit differently than the ones at the other resorts.

At Pepper Market you make you selections and receive them from the counter as you do in all food courts. The difference here is you receive a voucher stamped with what you ordered on it so you may pay after you eat.

The other difference here is servers come by your table offering you drink refills. These people will also clear your table when you are finished.

When you are done eating, you take the voucher stamped with your food and drink selections to the cashier and then pay as you leave. At other food courts you pay before you eat.

The charge is really six of one, half dozen of the other. You are getting limited service from a wait staff, hence the charge. The food at Pepper Market is actually quite good for what it is, and is the best and most varied food court I've eaten at in a moderate resort.

And DMom... you will enjoy this resort. It's very pretty. My ex and I stayed at the Casitas while we were there, and it was nice and close to the main building, but I found myself wishing that we were over in the Cabanas section. The buildings were only 2 stories high and the section is fronted by Lago Dorado. The nicest feature about them, I thought, was that they were on the sandy beach section of the lake. One day I walked over there from the Casitas and parked myself in a hammock for an hour or so. Quite nice. It's not quite like staying at the Poly, but it's a nice simulation. Hammock. Beach. Fake lake... very nice.

We did not use bus transportation on that trip as we had a rental car. Just know that Coronado Springs, while somewhat centrally located, is closest to Animal Kingdom park.

One night I left Animal Kingdom to go to Pleasure Island and took the bus to Coronado to connect to PI. The ride from Animal Kingdom seemed to take about ten minutes, and my wait for a Pleasure Island bus at Coronado connected within moments of my arrival.

You've made a good choice regardless of where on its property you request to stay. The Coronado is the loveliest and best themed of the moderates, in my opinion.
    Last edited by RonNYC; 06-22-2006 at 01:23 PM.

• Monorail Racer

Agreed that Coronado is really the top moderate hotel at WDW. You'll definitely enjoy it.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Coronado is our favorite mod as well. The 10% thing (think Tip for people to get your drinks and bus your tabl) shouldn't keep you from eating at the Market as it really is the best food court on property. The selection is huge, the food is really good and the portions are large enough to share. If youwant to avoid the 10% charge get the food to go and eat out by the water or in your room. There is no service charge for take out.

The resort itself is beautiful, especially in the evening when the lights come on. The Casitas section is breathtaking. The Cabanas are closest to the main pool but the theming is rather blah. The Ranchos have great theming but are furthest away from everything. The walk, as I've experienced it, is really only about 7 minutes to El Centro from the Rancho section -- not nearly as far as some of the walks at CBR. Also, they now have a continuous shuttle service that runs around the lake all day long.

The main pool is one of the best because of it's size and theming. The waterslide is very long. The playground and a volleyball court are just off the pool. There is also an arcade (one of two on property) just off the pool as well as a snack bar and lounge. CSR also boasts a very large hot tub.

CSR is the only mod with a Salon and Fitness Center.

Transportation is actually very good as the busses are rarely crowded and you don't share with any other resort. If you look at a map, CSR is really very centrally located to all the theme parks and travel times are short.

If I think of anything else I will post again.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I appreciate all the responses! Between all this wonderful info and the infor at allearsnet.com I am defintely happy with our choice. As much as I was dreaming Poly dreams I'm just as excited now to stay here. Espeically, with two rooms I think we'll just stick ALL the kids in the second room

Thanks again!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Diamond In The Rough

I think Dan's championing of CSR, the info/pix from AllEars and the various posts here have helped us decide on CSR for the honeymoon next year.
    (Money saved by not going Deluxe will be better spent on flight upgrades...)
    Thanks folks!
    (Especially dsnylndmom for starting this thread before I did, and Dan for his various comments about CSR across other threads.)

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

You are most welcome. While I'd love to stay in the deluxe resorts just like anyone else, most of the time I just can't justify the extra expense, when you have a property as nice as CSR that will save you $100 a night or more.

Enjoy!