Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Direction for Disney-MGM Studios

I think that DMGMS needs help. I wanted to see what direction people think it should go.

Option 1-- Do more behind the scenes about how movies or animation is made, more opportunities to see props, stunt shows and demonstrations on how movies are made.

Option 2-- Do more attractions that put you IN the movies. Different rides in which you get to play the lead in the movie or move through sets set up to create the illusion you are in the movie.

Option 3-- Do more shows in which movie themes are put on stage. Mini performances which do the music or basic story from a movie.

What do you think?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Monorail Racer

Re: Direction for Disney-MGM Studios

Actually, I think a combination of all three works best. I miss the old Animation Tour at the Studios. I really enjoy seeing how things are done. Mixing it up gives the guests a diverse array of attractions and allows the most flexibility in expanding and evolving the park. Within that, you can then pursue any of the individual directions you listed, depending on what the park's needs are at a given time.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Banned User

I think we need more 1 and 2... shows don't bring in the people as much, though attraction capacity shows (continious shows) work.

Blog Entries

I think it needs a mixture of all of it to have the same flair it once had. Some stuff does need to be filmed or made on property again just to get that feel of a working studio. That was the best part years ago is that you knew something was going on from time to time even if you didn't really know what it was.

It needs a few more rides for the whole family based around movies. The midway madness is a good idea, but I want to see something else aside from a Pixar movie.

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    Some stuff does need to be filmed or made on property again just to get that feel of a working studio. That was the best part years ago is that you knew something was going on from time to time even if you didn't really know what it was.
    I agree 100% with this. The backlot tour seems so silly now that they only mention films that were made over 10 years ago.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Roger Rabbit's Hollywood and Muppet Studios would be welcome addictions to the park.

• 1000th Happy Haunt

I seriously doubt we'll ever see anything Roger Rabbit in WDW. Too many legal entanglements. As for the Muppets, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Disney was hiring puppeteers who could imitate the Muppet characters. If they weren't for the parks, I don't know what they would be for. That being said, I hope they don't do too many Muppet things using sound-alikes. The guy who has taken over for Frank Oz is pretty good at the characters, and Steve Whitmire has grown immensely since 1990 but they're still not as good as Henson and Co. I know he's not owned by Disney, but the guy who fills in for Carroll Spinney as Big Bird in several segments on Sesame Street is HORRIBLE! The voice is all wrong and the character is even worse.

/tangent mode off

I would like to see the studios used for actual production again. It kind of defeats the purpose when there isn't any actual filming or animation going on. Then it's just a couple of rides and a ton of shops, restaurants, and live ads for Disney/ABC properties. I think that's why I'm not very fond of the park as a whole. The Tower is nice but the rest is kind of meh.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by geekzapoppin
    I seriously doubt we'll ever see anything Roger Rabbit in WDW. Too many legal entanglements.
    Remember: Eisner's gone, so the legal issues may not be as big of a challenge to overcome now.

Can we please at least try to be more optimistic regarding the Roger Rabibt issues around here? I'd very greatly appreciate it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I like MGM Studios, it is my favorite of the 4 parks, when your appealing to my adult likes and wants. I am a movie buff, so I very much enjoy the ambiance of this park, something just grabs me everytime I go.

However, I do agree that the park needs some work, here are my critics regarding each attraction.

Tower of Terror - Beautiful, wouldn't change a thing.
    RnRC - I understand the theming but it really just makes me feel like I am in the middle of a construction zone, however I love the intro sound booth.
    Beauty and the Beast on Stage - I do like the show, never miss it when I have the kids but maybe rotate the show to include something else at different times of the year?
    GMR- Love this one for the movie buff in me but maybe incorporate some newer movies in with the old ones? That might spruce it up a bit. Wouldn't kill them to update and fix some problems I see everytime I go there. Poor guy giving his speal had to hold the wire a certain way as his voice kept cutting out, nice...
    Drew Carey- I don't think I really need to comment on this one, other than it was nicely air conditioned and I took a much needed nap. lol
    Muppets 3d- Classic - I like this one, it might need an update or something else thrown in just to liven it up but this is a really great show for me.
    Honey I Shrunk the Audience Movie Set - Ok, it is nice having the playground there for the kiddies but my girls tend to disappear as soon as they go into a tube. Not really great for my peace of mind when I can't find my kids, but that's just me.
    Backlot Tour - This poor thing has been sliced and diced over the years to make room for everything else, needs an update!
    Millionaire - Since this is closing, I really have nothing to say, other than I NEVER miss this attraction and we go a few times, everytime we go to the park.
    Indiana Jones - Needs to be scrapped, I mean it was good the first time but I only needed to see it once and I honestly got bored part of the way through. The stunt guys do great work though, I have to give credit there.
    Star Tours - Definite update, but keep the attraction, I think it need a new movie and the queue should be reevaluated.
    Lights, Motor, Action - I haven't seen this yet to give an opinion, but I haven't heard good things.

I think overall the majority of the rides just need an overhaul but there definitely needs to be some more attractions and I wish they would find a way to make moving through the park a little better. Getting to Mickey Ave when you are to the left of GMR kinda stinks.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 07-03-2006 at 05:20 AM.

What are the legal entangelments involved with Roger Rabbit? As far as I know Disney does own the character and the rights to it, the movie was released under Touchstone Pictures which was a division created by the Walt Disney Co. Touchstone was not a studio bought or merged into the Disney family, it was created to release more adult oriented movies but keep the Disney label for the family/kid stuff. Roger used to be a regular character in the parks and has an attraction in DL and there is a huge neon Jessica Rabbit in DTD at Pleasure Island.

Am I wrong in my understanding about that?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I think that DMGMS needs help. I wanted to see what direction people think it should go.

Option 1-- Do more behind the scenes about how movies or animation is made, more opportunities to see props, stunt shows and demonstrations on how movies are made.

Option 2-- Do more attractions that put you IN the movies. Different rides in which you get to play the lead in the movie or move through sets set up to create the illusion you are in the movie.

Option 3-- Do more shows in which movie themes are put on stage. Mini performances which do the music or basic story from a movie.

What do you think?
    That is exactly what was being done at Disney-MGM when it first opened, but many guests didn't care much about the backstage tours. many used to moan about the lenght of the walking tour... and I witnessed many guests who would turn around and leave the queue when Cms informed them the tour was a "walking tour" of about 30 mins.. Most of the problems with the lack of attractions highlighting movie productions are due to the lack of interest in guests to participate. Even Universal realized this and that is why their parks are basically thrill-based ride experiences.

One thing though... MGM will vastly get improved by doing one single thing: REMOVE that butt-ugly hat off Hollywood Blvd!! And after nearly 20 yrs after it opened... some attractions need to go: Great Movei Ride, Indy Stunt show, Ariel show, Star Tours, B&B show, Muppets 3D, Sounds Awful with Carey... the lack of new and cutting edge attractions and disjointed theming is what's killing MGM more than anything. It doesn't help their closed the Animation Studios and now we have a lovely building sitting there mostly unused for what it was intended. I say bulldoze it and creat a brand new area similar to TDS' Mermaid lagoon and have a true Ariel show similar to Tokyo with an area dedicated to kids like TDS'. Take down Indy show and put in the ride from DL. Update the Muppets 3d with a new film. Finally greenlight the Villains show/ride in the Chinese Theater. Update Star Tours with similar effects to TDS' Stormrider and change the film or pull the plug on Star Wars and get something more updated like a space flight aboard Armaggedon and avoid meteor showers and such?? Update shows with some new ideas...while keeping the Disney characters up front. The Nemo Musical should be done at MGM, not DAK. "One man's Dream" show from TDL would be a perfect tribute to walt at MGM... etc etc etc etc. There are so many things that could be done to vastly improve MGM.

But... let me awake from my dream.. All of that take money, and the majority of guests seem happy with what they are getting from Disney. So I am not holding my breath or expecting change.

Oh one more thing... Did I say "REMOVE THAT DARN HAT OFF HOLLYWOOD BLVD?????"

• Banned User

Magic happens.
    Last edited by captsmith84; 07-20-2006 at 08:36 AM.

• Banned User

Bill... you are in no position right now to tell us anything about WDW. Don't think we don't dislike you for showing us you smug face at DL in the middle of the POTC premiere. So no. You are not popular with us earthlings at this point in time.

Oh Thanks Bill, I forgot about Amblin had anything to do with it.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by geekzapoppin
    As for the Muppets, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Disney was hiring puppeteers who could imitate the Muppet characters.
    Yes, there have been Muppeteering auditions. Orlando has a lot of puppeteers in the area so I'm sure something good could come soon.

As for what Disney-MGM really needs... it's quite simple.

Removal of the Big Blue Hat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast