Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Oh... riiiiiiiiight.

Re: I have a question about Pirates of the Caribean?

Apparently they're trying to have it open by July first, since that's a busy weekend.

Have you faced the Yeti?

• Banned User

I'd hardly complain about a few days. Disneyland's rehab actually took longer than WDW's... Disneyland's roof was even leaking & needed patches installed.

And, as far as the new added soundtrack goes... it blends in perfectly. It's like the soundtrack that was always needed but was never there. I love it.

• If We Can Dream It...

I'm not complaining. I just think it's weird that the smaller, shorter ride is taking longer to refurb. I know it's not like it's a whole other month away. I just wanted to know what anyone knew. I mean it makes no difference to me. By the way, how do you figure the rehab took longer? Just wondering!
    - Horizonsfan

• Banned User

WDW's Pirates was an after thought. It wasn't in the original plans for the park so they wedged it in. and for some reason WDW seems to get shorter versions of DL rides. not sure why it just seems to happen. I think it's interesting that this ride has only been down a few months and everyone is going crazy. from what I can tell, they beefed up the sound, and added three new characters. and capt jack shows up three times but most of the ride is unchanged just cleaned up which it should have been a long time ago. Now if they redid space mountain, I would get really excited, but as much as I love pirates, I am not that enthused.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92
    Yeah, but all they're building is a sign and it's already completed. And wasn't Dl's open for easter too? I guess all those little updates that WDW skipped on POTC really add up.
    Disneyland's stayed closed the whole time. So there was no delay in cleaning up enough for show and then starting again. Disneyland guests are apparently more forgiving in the area of attraction refurbs.

• If We Can Dream It...

I will take back what I said and apoligize for stating wrong info. Guess I'm mixing and mashing my disney info! Sorry folks! It is odd when you take into account what tourists expect when they come to disney.

I can see the average WDW tourist arriving at the MK:
    "Oh, the Hall of Presidents is closed? Whatever. WHAT? POTC is closed? We will get those money-hungry ba$**rds! Closed for my future enjoyment my a**!"

Before I get anymore carried away, once again I apologize for being thickheaded, it happens!
    - Horizonsfan

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92
    WDW management just wanted a quick fix to shut the guests up but, they didn't want to spend much. The imagineers had plenty of ideas to help even out the pirates playing field but management held firm.
    Hahaha sorry Al Lutz but that doesn't hold true to what happened in 1971.

Okay.

WDW opened on 10-1-1971 with no PoTC, Florida's designers felt the park guests would not want a rde about something so close to them. One of the many opening day things they misjudged.

So when MK opened in 1971 everyone wanted to know "Where's Pirates?". They demanded to know. It got so bad that when it was annouced City Hall had buttons that said Pirates 74 on them.

PoTC was heavily wanted. In 1971 there was no TDA and TDO...it was management who all reported to the same people. Anywho, it was E. Cardon Walker (In charge of all of the WDC) who said "the want Pirates, get it in there, and get it in there fast!" (exact quotes might be slightly different in dialect ). So Pirates was greenlighted.

Space was chosen, and since the park was not planned with PoTC in mind Space was tight. There was not as much space for an in berm show building as they had in California. So the grotto to the drop was built shorter. Oh well.

So it was not done cheaply with management being stringent. It was a last minute design bred from mis-judging (as with all new parks) what the audiance wanted, and using the space alloted in a short amount of time.

And it still kicks ***.

For an "on the cheap" ride we got a whole new area around the ride.

Its' great to call Disneyland's better...but you have to remember. The longer grotto in Disneyland came about as Walt and the Imagineers tried to figure out what to do with the building in Disneyland before getting people out of the park to the new showbuilding. So DL's PoTC has just as much "thrown together"-ness as WDW's.

• If We Can Dream It...

I was just posting what I heard and learned. I did it in a really condensed version. I don't complain about WDW's POTC, I love it. Sorry if anyone is maddened because of all these bad statements I've made.

(Jeez, I've been appologizing a lot in this thread. Maybe I should stop posting in here..... this isn't helping my rep any....)
    - Horizonsfan

• The one, the only...

I just think that Disney management should go back and do POTC right. I have read all the excuses before:

1) NOT ENOUGH SPACE -- Well, Disneyland has figured out how to use its space efficiently to do things many would call impossible. I have always heard how WDW has all this space. Come on! I am sure that a creative engineer and architect can redesign POTC and make it even better than DL's.

2) NOT ENOUGH MONEY -- Disney has made TONS of money at WDW. Think about the money made from DVC members alone. It is staggering! Disney has the money to make POTC right even if originally it was built on a shoestring.

3) GUESTS WILL COMPLAIN -- DL had Space Mountain down for TWO YEARS! Sure there were complaints but now everyone loves it. All you have to do is do as Walt did. During construction, publicize that the new ride will be SO much more fantastic. Have a special showcase built for guest to look at mock-ups of the new ride. They will feel like they will want to come back to WDW to ride it. Also there are so many things to see and do at WDW that one ride being down for a period of time to make it wonderful will be accepted.

We all know the real reason that WDW is not getting top quality rides. The name begins with an "Al."
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Here's a question: If I take Average America A to Disneyland and plop him down on Pirates and then fly him across country to ride the version at Magic Kingdom, how different will he think they are? My guess is he is going to think it is the exact same between the two parks.

• Banned User

Pirates sucks in Florida.
    Last edited by captsmith84; 07-20-2006 at 08:51 AM.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Can hardly wait to see your version, but I have to side with the West Coast......Walt's dream came true...so it is the better and longer ride!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• If We Can Dream It...

After thinking about it even if they don't/didn't have enought room inside the berm for the grotto scenes they do/did have plenty of room outside the berm. I realize it isn't a ton but, there is some. I'm just being hypothetical so don't kill me for being wrong. Please?
    - Horizonsfan

• Fastpass Hater

Don't they have the whole "water level" problem to deal with in Florida also?

But I agree, after going to Disneyland, I think the WDW one is a waste of time, even if that's the one I grew up with.

• If We Can Dream It...

I wouldn't call POTC a waste of time at any park. At least it loads fast and has lots of theme; even in the cheap version! Yes, there is a watertable problem with WDW just remember that MK was built two level.
    - Horizonsfan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast