Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Boy dies after riding Disney rollercoaster

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Those were related to operation, and WDW has a different operations team than DL and always has.

I'm just saying that it's not unreasonable to expect some interruption and investigation when somebody dies at an amusement/theme park. Florida seems to run on the belief that the private industry is capable of investigating and making judgment calls for itself, which is a rather conservative approach that may change if the people begin to feel that tragic accidents are too common.
    What can the state of Florida really do?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic
    Other recent accident at DL was on the Sailing Ship Columbia, some kind of buckle or clasp broke off and swung around striking a guest and CM. The guest died as a result of the injury.
    This is the article that showed on CNN.com regarding this accident.

Disneyland accused of putting image ahead of accountability to

January 28, 1999
    Web posted at: 8:08 PM EST (0108 GMT)

ANAHEIM, California (AP) -- When a Disneyland visitor was fatally injured by a flying piece of metal last month, the folks at the self-proclaimed "Happiest Place on Earth" had the blood and debris cleaned up within a half-hour, before investigators could get a look at the scene.
    Legally, Disneyland did nothing wrong. But to some, the quick cleanup illustrates a corporate arrogance and an extreme desire to preserve the Disneyland illusion of innocence, even at the expense of accountability to its guests.

"It's greed. You couple the greed with the arrogance and there's no reason why they have to be responsible to anyone," said Henry Giroux, an education professor at Pennsylvania State University and author of "The Mouse That Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence," to be published by Roman & Littlefield in April.

John Luetto, an Orange County lawyer who claims to have filed the only successful lawsuit stemming from an injury at Disneyland since the park opened in 1955, said: "They're intent on assessing the situation themselves without outside authority. That's what's at play most often when you encounter Disneyland."

Last month's accident happened the day before Christmas, when the sailing ship Columbia was easing up to the dock and an 8-pound cleat -- a piece of metal used for tying down mooring ropes -- broke loose from the vessel. Luan Phi Dawson, 33, of Duvall, Wash., was fatally struck in the head. His wife and a Disneyland employee were injured.

Disneyland spokesman Ray Gomez said the mess was cleaned up quickly "because it was in a very visible location in the park. It could easily be seen from several viewpoints. It was Christmas Eve and there was a huge number of children in the area."

Gomez denied Disneyland neglects its responsibility to protect guests, saying "safety is part and parcel of our guests' having a good experience."
    Disneyland guests, however, have no way of knowing how safe the rides are.

Nine people have died at the theme park, most of them apparently because of their own foolishness, such as trying to switch cars on a moving ride.

But Disney doesn't release comprehensive injury figures, and doesn't have to. While mobile amusement parks have been subject to state oversight since 1968, permanent ones were exempted at the request of the Walt Disney Co., according to the state.

Luetto's client was stabbed by a fellow Disneyland patron in 1981 and bled to death after being treated by an on-site nurse and driven to a hospital that had no trauma center. Disneyland workers didn't contact paramedics, Luetto said. An Orange County jury awarded the mother and brother of the slain man $600,000 in 1986.

In last month's accident, Disneyland immediately contacted paramedics via a special, direct line but did not call police. Police learned of the accident from the paramedics and got there 40 minutes after it happened.

Bret Colson, an Anaheim city spokesman, said that while police have no reason to believe any crime was committed in the accident, detectives would prefer to examine a scene themselves instead of letting Disneyland authorities make that determination for them.

"We're attempting to make sure that there's not a repeat," he said.
    Similarly, the California Occupational Safety & Health Administration, which is investigating because an employee was injured, would prefer that an accident scene not be disturbed, spokesman Dean Fryer said. But there is no such requirement under the law, he said.

Cal-OSHA investigators are looking into whether Disneyland was improperly stopping the ship with a cleat -- which state officials say is only for mooring, not stopping -- and whether the employee docking the ship had been properly trained.

Michael T. Berry, Disneyland's new operations chief, told the Los Angeles Times that dockworkers are no longer allowed to stop the Columbia with a rope and cleat. Details on the new Columbia operating procedure were not immediately available.

Disney has agreed to contact police on all major accidents in the future. But it admitted no wrongdoing in its handling of the accident.
    If the dead man's wife sues, she apparently will have to do so in Orange County, where attorneys contend jurors are sympathetic to Disney because the park, with a workforce of about 12,500, employs so much of the community.

Disneyland tickets carry a warning on the back that all ticket holders are agreeing to litigate any claims for injury or loss in Orange County.
    Colson denied suggestions by some Disney critics that Anaheim police hold Disneyland to a different standard than other businesses, and he called Disneyland an "excellent corporate citizen."

He also said having former Disneyland employees on the police force, including the chief and a captain, is a benefit for the public because it gives officers inside knowledge of the park.

As for releasing Disneyland's injury statistics, Gomez said Disney is not convinced that would be helpful to the 14 million visitors to Disneyland every year.

Disneyland's Florida counterpart, Walt Disney World, has been the target of similar criticism. It is one of three Florida amusement parks exempted from state oversight. According to Florida's inspector, however, those three big parks have higher safety standards than the state's.

Some Disneyland visitors on a recent afternoon said they'd like to see more oversight and know more about ride safety records.

"Look at how many thousands of people come here a day," said Michelle Kinsley, a 32-year-old mother from Alhambra who was eating lunch in front of the closed dock.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    What can the state of Florida really do?
    California has a state agency who has to approve rides to open if their was an accident.. and approve rides to open after refurbishment and.... the only time it doesn't need approval is if the ride didn't get changed overnight.. FLA only does this for carnivals..

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    $20 says the family will end up suing Disney.
    You’re a few weeks early for betting...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    California has a state agency who has to approve rides to open if their was an accident.. and approve rides to open after refurbishment and.... the only time it doesn't need approval is if the ride didn't get changed overnight.. FLA only does this for carnivals.
    And those inspections help people with an undiagnosed medical condition or those who act stupidly how?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

With the way DL was handling the rides in the 90's,
    and Paul's "run to failure", building on the cheap,
    cutting costs willy nilly, It's a good thing California
    has the laws in place that it does.

On the other hand, WDW seems to have some sort of
    bizarre curse. WDW hasn't been involved in these deaths
    where people have had unknown medical conditions.

Of couse with the high attendance WDW has, compared
    to other parks, you might expect more deaths. Add to that
    the "family friendly" atmosphere of it's parks, many people
    put there faith that these "thrill" attractions aren't really all
    that bad, comparred to riding Goliath or X at Magic Mt.

In fact, many of these people would probably never set foot
    in a park like Magic Mountain, because of the "extreme"
    nature of their rides, let alone ride one of them.

BUT at a Disney Park, the guest thinks: " It's a Disney ride,
    there is no way these attractions are Nearly as dangerous
    as the ones at "Rollercoaster City." The attractions at
    Disney parks are sure to be MUCH safer." So the guest will
    ignore all the safety signs that Disney puts up.

Now, I do recall a recent death in DL, a guest rode Big Thunder,
    got off the ride, started walking along the rivers of America,
    collapsed from a heart attack. The death didn't occur on Big
    Thunder, but at the very least, it contributed to advancing an
    adverse medical condition. So, WDW is not by itself in these
    deaths which a ride aggrevated various medical conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92
    In the press' mind it's "OMG, someone died at disney!I want that story finished ASAP!" but, if someone died at SF their reaction would probably be like "oh my, well that's a bummer. We'll get the facts and have a story for tomorrow's edition." People die at Six Flags, it just never gains national attention unless a ride malfuntions. With Disney any kind of death is front page coverage. At least, that's what I've observed.
    Bear in mind that Corporate politics always come into play when dealing with these sort of incidents. Six Flags is owned at least in part by Time Warner Co. which also owns AOL. Even when I barely heard about this incident on CNN, I was telling my parents that it would be front page news on AOL.com. Time Warner is the biggest entertainment company in the world, followed by Disney. Any stab that Time Warner could possibly take at Disney you can almost bet they will. That is why you will rarely hear about accidents at Six Flags, it would hurt the company that reports it.

This accident is a tragedy, but keep this in mind. WDW is the size of San Francisco, it sees more visitors per year than the populations of New York, Mexico City and Tokyo combined. It stands to reason that people die every day and in every way. A simple use of logic would dictate that occasionally people are going to buy the farm at Disney. Human mortality is a factor that effects everyone every day.

The people I feel most sorry for, in a sarcastic way, are the people who will fear this ride now that this has happened. I rode the thing twelve times back to back when I was on the CP last year, I love it and don't fear it at all. These attractions are safe, anyone who questions that is a bonafide moron.

What happened is a tragedy, but the best thing to do now is clean up, straighten out what happened, and get on with life.

What I think is funny is how AOL needs to mention Mission: Space's record as well as RNRC's. Hmmm, two completely different rides, two completely different parks, so yeah I guess they belong in the same article, get a grip honestly! This is shameless corporate bullying on the part of Time Warner, if you think Disney is shrewd, get a load of these guys.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

i was at MGM tonight and the CMs are saying there were having technical difficulties check back later. i strongly disagree with CMs drastically lying about this and getting peoples hopes up that it may open. i think they should at least tell the public the ride is suffering a fatal accicendent and that the ride wont reopen for a good amount of time because of course
    RNRC wont be open for quite a while.
    pshhh i guess

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I see absolutely NO reason for RnRC to close. This isn't like what happened with BTMR in Disneyland. It didn't come off the tracks, the harness didn't come open mid-ride, they didn't launch a car into another one.

Someone rode the ride, and for whatever reason, died as he was getting off of it. Nothing points to the ride acting up or malfunctioning at this point. Mark my words, it'll be open when MGM opens for business tomorrow, or at the latest, next week.

Horrible news. At this point it is not about fault...rather it is just sad.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Treat
    I'm betting it'll be open in the next couple of days. Unless it is determined that the ride somehow failed. And I'm sure everybody one their special family vacation would love to hear: "Sorry, this attraction is closed because some dude just died."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    And those inspections help people with an undiagnosed medical condition or those who act stupidly how?
    It doesn't.. but it helps the company know it wasn't their fault.. or completely their fault if it was running within the legal parameters that it was approved for...

And can lower chances of lawsuits.

Those who act stupid should see the warnings before riding.. I would not be surprised if they add more warnings now...

Unknown... well.. it's an unknown condition... and chances are.. it could be triggered by anything from a car crash to taking a final in school....

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    The people I feel most sorry for, in a sarcastic way, are the people who will fear this ride now that this has happened. I rode the thing twelve times back to back when I was on the CP last year, I love it and don't fear it at all. These attractions are safe, anyone who questions that is a bonafide moron.
    Uhm, safe for you appearantly, but you really can't speak for everyone.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by suttytx
    I don't think it's very funny to say that. Here's to more deaths seems pretty tacky.
    They forgot to type "TOO many deaths at Disney"-

Did you not even think of that?

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Treat
    i was at MGM tonight and the CMs are saying there were having technical difficulties check back later. i strongly disagree with CMs drastically lying about this and getting peoples hopes up that it may open. i think they should at least tell the public the ride is suffering a fatal accicendent and that the ride wont reopen for a good amount of time because of course
    You think Cast Members should announce to the people wanting to ride the attraction that there was a fatal accident?

Good lord-

The ensuing hysteria would be horrible.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92
    Wow! Talk about a freak accident.
    no it was not a freak accident. Tey palced the rope on the cleat before the columbia was stopped...so the movement of the ship tore the cleat off and flung it into the crowds on christmas eve....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast