Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Boy dies after riding Disney rollercoaster

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Just for the record, the problem with the Columbia wasn't so much with the cleat as it was with CM's not properly following procedure. The skipper brought the boat in too fast, and the shore CM should have just let it go on by. Instead, she threw the rope on the cleat, and the too fast boat caused the cleat to rip out, slamming into folks on the dock.
    I read it was from an improperly replaced line which wasn't the proper type.. which didn't flex/stretch.. so it ripped the cleat. Hence the 'fault' of disney combined with the poor docking procedure.

But I guess my point was this type of accident is not necessarily the pure fault of some accountant cutting numbers (as some would make it the scape goat to be) but more of a combination of factors some of which is 'accident' and of course the rediculous liability claims this country has to deal with.

• Original Mice-Chatter

per news I am reading the boy had a heart defect- looking for link.

• Been there, Done that

Every instance that I have heard about someone being either injured or killed at Disney have been because of human ignorance or error. Disney can only post so many warnings so many times. If you look at the millions of people who come to the resort each year, it's a wonder we don't have more serious injuries. The saying goes around WDW CMs "People come to Disney on vacation and leave their cares, and brains, at home." Just look at America's schools test scores. We're a bunch of idiots!!! Ever watch Jackass on MTv? Ever drive down a highway? Stupid people EVERYEWHERE!

Now, don't accuse me of pointing a finger at anyone specifically. I definatly have my own "moments." Unfortunately, majority rules. And, they all vacation in Florida it seems.
    I love my kitties!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl42
    Every instance that I have heard about someone being either injured or killed at Disney have been because of human ignorance or error. Disney can only post so many warnings so many times.
    Two things. If you're saying that the fault is always with the guest, then you're just wrong, as evidenced by the above story of DL's Columbia incident, and also by DL's Big Thunder Mountain accidents. In those cases the human error was most definitely on the part of Disney. Second the warnings posted will do absolutely no good if someone doesn't know that they have a condition, as in this current case (and also others in the recent past). In those cases it's not Disney's fault, nor is it the guest's fault - it's just something that happens, and could have happened on a plane or a playground or a back yard. As long as Disney is doing due diligence and making sure that their attractions are not to blame, then what more could they do?

• meganmegaphone

Wow... yeah, there really is nothing more that could be done. And the stress is on WDW to prevent any medical issues, however even if a defibulator was on the premisis, how close? Who would opperate it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it's standard opperating procedure to know how to correctly use one. Plus, depending on where one was in the park it could still be quite difficult for medical personal to get there at that time. I sympathise with the family, but it is quite a difficult situation. Little really could have been done any way you think of it. Leaving WDW just with exactly what they have done, investigate and console after the fact.

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by iluvstitch
    Wow... yeah, there really is nothing more that could be done. And the stress is on WDW to prevent any medical issues, however even if a defibulator was on the premisis, how close? Who would opperate it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it's standard opperating procedure to know how to correctly use one. Plus, depending on where one was in the park it could still be quite difficult for medical personal to get there at that time.
    Yeah.. The Orlando paper article gives pretty good details in regards to this. Plus, remember, the kid's father was a Green Beret! His father knows first aid, and according to the article started CPR almost immediatly. The park, paramedics were there in about 3 minutes after the 911 call was made, and about 6 for the area paramedics.

Deputies say Byron Russell immediately began CPR on his son, and a ride employee called 911 at 11:20:36 a.m., summoning paramedics from the Reedy Creek Fire Rescue.

Paramedics stationed at the park arrived about three minutes after the 911 call first came in and took over, according to Bo Jones, Deputy Chief of Reedy Creek Fire Rescue. Though Disney has portable heart defibrillator units stationed throughout its parks, there was not one available to use on Michael until the paramedics arrived, according to an audiotape of the 911 call. (Paramedics earlier indicated it took about six minutes for them to arrive.)

The child's heart was first shocked 7 minutes and 3 seconds after the 911 call, according to Jones.
    One of the things Disney had been criticized on in previous incidents is their delay in contacting medical assistance. I'd be suprised if people haven't been trained overwise since due to all the problems. If concerned at all.. call for help, etc.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678