Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Boy laughs, hugs Mom and Dad after riding Disney rollercoaster

I don't wish to make light of the tragic incidents that have occurred at DL and WDW, but GEEEZ, aren't you tired of the way the press descends like vultures upon every (potentially, maybe, could be) serious story that comes out of the parks? I am sick of the repetitive implications that Disney is somehow at fault for every person who's gotten sick or died on property.

Doesn't this happen at any other theme park?

I could leap into traffic and get hit by a bus. Would that make CNN?

Can we, just once, hear about all the millions of families that go to DL and WDW every year and have a good time?

Oh, right . . . that's not news.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Boy laughs, hugs Mom and Dad after riding Disney rollercoaster

I agree. The media just swoops in on many peoples fear of Speed, heights, & Rollercoasters though.

As I said in another thread. Disney parks have as much accidents as any other theme/amusement parks do.

• Loves Disney

disneytim, I agree. I always see bad news. How come there are no reports of good things going on. I mean the only time I see reports on Theme parks are when a new ride is open and if the park has a death or incident. The news gives the park a bad name. For example I piratically hear people at Disneyland being afraid or saying things for Big Thunder Mountain like "Is this the ride that guy died on?" or "I don't want to ride that ride someone died on it." I am one of those people who are there to enjoy the park (even though I am like the others on the forum who go often). We are trying to have fun with family or friends and the one thing I don't need is to have someone bring up something that would ruin my day.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Good things do not draw in ratings or the interest of most viewers unfortunately.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Let me just comment this is a great post and I smiled reading your topic.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Now this is news.

• Minion

It's just like anything in life, really. I mean, how many thousands, or maybe hundreds of thousands, of people every year have great motorcycle trips? Yet, how often do we hear about those trips? We only hear about incidents like the crash Ben Rothlisberger had. My point is, I don't think the media is picking on Disney. I just think the media is merely reporting on what sells. Is reporting like that really objective? Probably not. Thing is, truly objective and balanced reporting in the mainstream media will, for the most part, go unread.

• Princess of my own world

Of course the media will swoop in when something negative happens, because it's something that isn't that common. Kinda like the statistics that say you have more of a chance dying in a car crash then in a plane. Planes are more covered because it's a rare occurance.

I wish the media would produce at least one happy story per newscast. Even if it's something as simple as a little boy finding his lost dog.

I think for WDW and DL when something tragic happens, a few days later they should print something positive. Because some of these things are not Disney's fault. Now if it was like someone fell out of a ride or something horrible like the Big Thunder accident, then yeah they need to report it was Disney's fault and stuff. But yeah... that's just my opinion.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Actually, I thought the wording of the headlines thus far has been better. Instead of "Child Dies On Disney Roller Coaster", it's "Child Dies After Riding Disney Roller Coaster". I don't read blame in that. It is still rather sensationalist though...

The world loves to see failure in systems that seem never to fail. Disney will always be held to this high standard. Dumbo's ear flap could fall off and CNN would have round the clock coverage including Larry King talking to the doctor's who operated on him.
    It is horrible what happened to that young child today...but as many will eventually point out in the coming days, millions have ridden the ride and safely walked away from it. The press will have its moment, then find something else to spotlight.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I liken it to the way news is reported about education. I noticed that everyone yells, "education is a mess!" or some teacher touched one students in Kansas.

There is never a report about 12 gazillion kids learned fractions today; 100 gazillion kids WEREN'T touched by their teacher.

Nah, not good news. But the problem is, then the public goes and votes and makes changes...

So I hear ya.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

The points made in this thread are exactly why I like Micechat so much - you get positive news (usually through trip reports) as well negative. Unfortunately, it seems like the vast majority of people out there only want to hear about the bad things that happen to people. How much do you want to bet the family that wins the grand prize of the Million Dreams sweepstakes gets a fraction of the coverage of the ride related deaths.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    I don't wish to make light of the tragic incidents that have occurred at DL and WDW, but GEEEZ, aren't you tired of the way the press descends like vultures upon every (potentially, maybe, could be) serious story that comes out of the parks? I am sick of the repetitive implications that Disney is somehow at fault for every person who's gotten sick or died on property.

Doesn't this happen at any other theme park?

I could leap into traffic and get hit by a bus. Would that make CNN?

Can we, just once, hear about all the millions of families that go to DL and WDW every year and have a good time?

Oh, right . . . that's not news.
    yeah...they love the bad stuff..they live by the mtto..."if it bleeds it leads....."...sad...

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLoon
    How come there are no reports of good things going on.
    There's a very good reason why you always see the bad stuff on the news. The public generally don't care about the good stuff - they just want to look at the bad. Look, I agree with you in principle. It would be really nice if we heard more positive stories. But I'm right there with the rest of the public as I drive past an accident, craning my neck to see if anyone was hurt.

A story about the Rock n Roller Coaster working great and pleasing customers just isn't news. A child dying after riding it is.

• Banned User

That is the reason why I always report on the bad at WDW and people pay attention, but since all I have to say about TDR is positive... no one cares about that and call me "jaded". Right Dan"young"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast