Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission:SPACE

Mission:SPACE

can anyone tell me y does Mission:SPACE have a bad reputation. i rode it for the first time today and thought it was terrible, a very boring ride. i was scared getting on it because of what i heard about it but i came to the conclusion that it was no worse than star tours. and yes i rode the orange side.
    pshhh i guess

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Re: Mission:SPACE

No it's a heck of alot more intense than lil' ol' Star Tours. It is a little less entertaining though, I will give you that. M:S has a bad rep because so many have either gotten seriously ill or died on it since it opened. I mean, what other disney ride comes equipt with Barf Bags? I snagged one as a souvenier.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    I snagged one as a souvenier.
    Me too! But I'm still of a belief that most people wouldn't get sick if the stories from previews (was more intense then) circulated so much.

I loved Mission: Space and so did my fellow crew members (except my sister who gets motion sickness, she won't ride it again). I thought it was as close to space as I'm going to get. I'm riding it every chance I get.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    No it's a heck of alot more intense than lil' ol' Star Tours. It is a little less entertaining though, I will give you that. M:S has a bad rep because so many have either gotten seriously ill or died on it since it opened. I mean, what other disney ride comes equipt with Barf Bags? I snagged one as a souvenier.
    I agree, it was a lot more intense. It was one of the few rides I almost lost my cookies. . (I rode it during the soft opennings).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    I agree, it was a lot more intense. It was one of the few rides I almost lost my cookies. . (I rode it during the soft opennings).
    Weeny.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Too many people get it built up in their heads they're going to get sick riding M:S so in the end they do.

I've ridden it a few times and haven't gotten sick. Slightly dizzy once but that was the worst and it wore off by the time I made it back outside.... and I got righ back in line.

As long as you heed the warnings/instructions plastered everywhere, you should be fine. When they say not to close your eyes or turn your head... they mean it! It will SERIOUSLY mess you up.

• Minion

I had an absolute blast on Mission: Space and was grinning ear to ear afterward. But that doesn't answer your question. What Fishbulb said, should.

• love my friends

well i heard a few people died on it.. i am in caliofronia so I dont know what this ride is exactly,, what is it?//

Friends for life

• Santa Barbara, CA

i heard it has something to do with Space.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    well i heard a few people died on it.. i am in caliofronia so I dont know what this ride is exactly,, what is it?//

Mission:Space is a Centrifuge based simulator ride.

Picture it like this. there are a bunch of four person cabins facing the center of this circle. To replicate the G's felt during lift off The centrifuge spins the compartments. The compartments also tilt left to right and front to back but are mostly upright during the heavy G's.

The trickiest thing about MS is that while inside your space capsule you have no visual cues from the outside that let you know you are spinning. As the ride begins to prepare for liftoff, for instance, your inner ear senses movement, and you begin to feel dizzy as you see the launch tower remain stationary in the film but clearly you feel motion.

And just for the record, the entire ride does not consist of spinning. There is about a 20 second lift of section of G's, then a little bit later there is a slingshot around the moon sequence where you feel G's again, then lastly when you land on Mars you feel the pull of afew more momentary G's. That's it. The rest is very Star Tours Lite®
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

slingshot around the moon sequence
    That's my fave part. I'm always going "WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" when that happens. LOL! I'm a dork like that.

M:S is one of my favorite Disney rides. I went to Space Camp in middle school, and really this ride is more intense as far as simulating what space travel is like than the Space Camp is. I will admit that I have always loved outer space, and this bias might be a reason I love the ride.

I also find it the least intense of all the motion simulator rides I have been on. If you follow the instructions given: 1) Sit straight up and look at the screen, 2) Do not move your head to the side or pretty much at all, and 3) Do not close your eyes, then you stand a very low chance of getting motion sickness. The reason is because by following these instructions, the fluids in your inner-ear will not slosh around, thus making you feel motion sickness.

Back to Space Camp, the same is true of those large spinning "gyroscopes" that you can ride at the fair. They had one of those at Space Camp when I went all so many years ago, and they use it to teach you about equlibrium. I was scared to death of going on it and then throwing up. I followed their instructions of not moving my head and walked off it 100% fine.

I usually get off M:S feeling about as motion sick as I do when I walk off Soarin' (which is to say pretty much not at all).

Anyway, I believe M:S has a bad rep for all the hype about how it will make you sick/dead. I learned a lot about customer satisfaction in college and one of the big things is that a satisfied customer will tell 2 or 3 people aobut their experience, but a dissatisfied customer will tell 10 or more. Apply this to M:S and the result is a lot of bad hype.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    That's my fave part. I'm always going "WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" when that happens. LOL! I'm a dork like that.
    No, you are not a dork. You (like me) enjoy cheap thrills. Totally different from being a "dork".

• Monorail Racer

It's not that bad, but it does have moments of intensity. As mentioned, listen to the safety demos and keep eyes front and most people will be fine. There are some who never get sick on rides who get sick on M:S and there are some who are prone to motion sickness who have no problem with the ride.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast