Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

TDLFAN reviews POTC: Depp Version

Hello all,
    I just returned from the MK where the newly re-opened POTC ride has been operating all day long, without a hitch I am told.

SPOILERS!!! SPOILERS!!! Read at your own risk from now on...

The new marquee out front is nice but not as impressive as it was made to be in the art renderings, which resembled more the one from DLP's POTC. Still is adecuate and some work went into putting some rocks and cannon prop at the base. Nice touch. Simple but effective. Some other less noticable decorative changes were made to the outdoor and queue areas.. Some new banners went up and some painted accents were added to enhance the architecture of the building prior to going indoors. Most shocking to me was the retirement of the talking parrot out front which has been a central figure welcoming guests to ride POTC. I miss it terribly.

Once inside...in the queue.. Not too many changes there. But the queue did appear to be quite clean. Obviously the housekeeping cast from a nearby hotel was hard at work here... :P We'll see how long that lasts.
    One tip: always go on the left line. Shorter and moves quicker for some reason.. maybe because the right line is longer and wider?? Duh!!
    Once arriving in the boarding platform... again. No differences.

Then we set sail... First up.. the music. There is a different background melody and we hear the ghostly "Dead men tell no tales...!" famous phraze at this point in time.. *before* the waterfall. It used to be heard after the drop. First change is the mist screen thru which we sail on our way to see the pirates. On it, we see that octopus-like face character from the movie to proceed at own risk jada jada. Sorry, since I don't care much for this movie, I have no clue what the characters names are. Feel free to fill in for me. Once we go beyond the mist wall (a not so well executed effect since you can see the entire mechanism that holds it from above) some new blue lighting gives the cave a sense of fog.. but after that. Not much else new.

We then go down the waterfall. ARGH!! More new music plays overhead and as soon as we enter the bay... we spot Jeffrey Rush's character screaming at us from the pirate ship. Nice AA, fluid moves. But if I was Mr. Rush, I'd sue. There are some new booming sounds from the "cannons" but I noticed not much else new here in terms of special effects. Even the jumping water blasts are the same old tired WDW effects that have been in place forever.

We proceed on to the dunking scene. I didn't notice much new here but pass that scene, we get our first glimpse of Depp's character, hiding in between of two womanly mannequins of sorts.. peeking at the situation while the major goes down for his bath in the well every ten seconds.
    The imagineers did hit the bullseye with Depp's AA. Very convincing and very much looking like the real thing in costume. Kudos. Made you realize how cheap the Pirate AA inside World of Disney store in DTD really iS!!

Not too many changes from this point on until we get to the "chasing scenes", where the ladies are still chasing the pirates (I thought this was going to get reversed as originally presented but I guess not, and still politically correct even if not all that true to reality if the situation was indeed a real one). Here, we see Depp's AA again popping out of the barrel while the oblivious pirate sits there looking like your average tourist at Pinnochios Village Haus. This particular AA of Depp was the one that impressed me the most. The movements are fluid, as he peeks out of the barrel, looks around and hides. Very very good AA movements there.

We move on pass the town on fire...(same old red lights projected into sheets blown by fans), then pass the jail scene with same dog still sitting there teasing the jail bird wannabes. But then the last change... where we once saw a pair of guards tied up and surronded by a treasure.. now we see Depp's character talking and sitting on a chair in a very "matter of factly" kinda way, I guess making smart arse remarks about getting the loot but not the girl since there are no new female additions here. I guess Kyra or whatever the lead actress' name is... was not worth even talking about here. Not surprisingly.. she is a plain Jane.

Then the ride ends.

Not much else new here at the disembarkation point, except that the CM control console has been moved to the very end of the dock by the moving walkway, whereas it used to be in the very middle of the disembarkation area.

My thoughts... The changes are very small and insignificant to really impress me in a new way. I honestly do not thing anyone else in the boat with me noticed that it was a Depp AA up there because no one seemed impressed or actually spending as much time as I was admiring the changes. In a sense I am glad, because I personally would not like to see this ride being drastically changed for the sake of Disney synergy. As for the technical aspect of the new show... Ho-hum. I was NOT impressed there at all. There is new music and some new dialogue in those few precious scenes that got altered however... not much else was done to the rest of the ride and the difference in quality from the new sounds to the old ones is quite apparent. At least to some those of us who are familiar with the ride's show qualities. The new dialogue was simply hard to follow.. Too much noise to really get what is being said.. much less make any sense of why Depp pops in and out, and why is he sitting at the end enjoying his new found loot. So I was not really able to follow what was going on. The the outdated effects.. I did not noticed anything new there at all, except for that mist screen, and we have all seen that done at DL's INdy with mixed results. Very disappointing to me indeed. Didn't help either I had a child sitting in front of me making noise and simply all over the place. BRAT!

Much to my surprise.. I got there at around 4pm or so and the wait time was only 10 mins. In fact the MK today was not all that crowded. 5 mins standby for Stitch, 20 mins for Buzz', 10 for Haunted M... you get the idea. Kinda odd concidering it is the weekend before the 4th of July. Or maybe the calm before the storm... Put this many people inside TDL and it would have been a virtual ghost town, complete with tumbleweeds rolling by...

To end my report....Once outside the ride, some minor improvements have been made to the gift ship but not really worth talking about. The store remains outside the original store location, and that area has been officially turned into a CM-only area and changing room. Get you Pirate merchadise here... Rumor was the shope would move back indoors.. guess it was not the case. The Johnny Depp doll is quite lifelike and the Pirate Mr. Potato head is too cute. One favorite pin on sale...Minnie as the Redheaded wendge. I am positive our westcoast fans have the same stuff in their Piarate shop and WOD.

And that is it... Not much new to really talk about in this refurbishing of the ride. I feel there were many missed opportunities here.. and honestly... DLP's POTC, with 14 yrs in operation, still has nicer and more upgraded technical and special effects over our version here at WDW. But still... while the ride gets a B for fun factor... the refurbishing itself gets a C- in my book. Nothing great to really recommend highly, so don't make a special trip to Orlando just to see this.

And now...Here are the photos....

Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-01-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Re: TDLFAN reviews POTC: Depp Version

nice pics thanks TDLFAN!

You know what? One thing I have notcied from your pics (BTW, great quality pics) is the one with guests coming off the boat. I guess your review is subjective cause those faces in the pic don't seem too pleased.... haha!

will it also be open tomarrow. or was it jus a one day thing
    pshhh i guess

• Banned User

I don't see why it should not be opened for business tomorrow. But honestly folks, lower your expectations.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Hopefully the fact that I have not been on Pirates in any of its forms in 2 years will allow me to enjoy this. I rode WDW's Pirates last in 2004, and Disneyland's in Christmas of 2003. I just hope the changes did something to make the ride slightly more interesting because I still haven't gotten over how much WDW's pales to Disneyland's in comparison.

• Banned User

You will enjoy it, but for the benefit of the die-hard fans... Just lower your expectations or you will be disappointed. And if you feel WDW's version pales in comparison to DL's much better original, you should then take a spin on Paris' version of it which is the ultimate Pirate version of the ride in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the update TDLFAN. I am really lookin forward to riding it now that it has been updated. Even if it was not a stellar review Pirates has always been a favorite of mine (though DL and Paris' exceed it) so anything new to look forward to it a good thing.

Thanks for the awesome photos TDLFAN! I can't wait to ride it when I go down there in like ten days.

• Banned User

To answer someone else's PM to me in regards to the photos.. the dark one with some blue in it is the mist screen thru which the boats travel thru. You see that octopus guy projected onto it like every 8 seconds.
    The blurry and dark shot is Depp's AA sitting in the treasure room at the end of the ride, across from the jail scene. This is where the two guards were seen tied to their chairs back to back.

• Oh DDDD-DEAR, Poor Piglet

Awesome photos as always. I cant wait to go on it in a few weeks (but just for you I will keep my hopes about the changes down for you :P ). Thanks!
    Thank You for dropping by my post. I do hope you enjoyed your stay....

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quick question: How long has the sign been up? I'm not sure the construction photos could have hidden that.

I sort of like the new sign...not like the concept art, but pretty good anyways.

• Banned User

Yes the sign is nice. Just different than what they had presented to the media earlier this year. As for how long it's been up... I honestly do not know.

• The one, the only...

I think that from all the pre-publicity you might expect a more major change. But I am glad that this is a "refurbishment" not a new ride. Pirates has an enduring appeal even after almost 40 years. I do not believe that in 40 years people will care who Johnny Depp is.

Remember that Disney has been pinching those pennies, particularly at WDW.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Monorail Racer

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    You will enjoy it, but for the benefit of the die-hard fans... Just lower your expectations or you will be disappointed. And if you feel WDW's version pales in comparison to DL's much better original, you should then take a spin on Paris' version of it which is the ultimate Pirate version of the ride in my humble opinion.
    I agree that Paris' version of the ride is really fantastic. My daughter and I rode that in Paris more than any other attraction. Fun ride and there was no wait. Good combination.

Thanks for the report on WDW's version.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast