Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Country

• The Candidate

River Country

When I stayed at Fort Wilderness in August, it looked like they were about to demolish River Country. Is it gone for good?

yes, it is gone for good. I kind of liked that place.

These pics were taken in august. not sure as of now, but then it was just closed for good but their was no demolition equipt. there. just a ghost town. sad to see.
    http://users.adelphia.net/~tburr/

• The Candidate

You must have been there just before me. During the last week in August they moved in some construction equipment and it was lit up at night with work lights. I had hoped that they were fixing instead of demolishing, but knew that that was just wishful thinking!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    I seriously miss it!

• Banned User

I thought they rented out the "property" for special events... but the waterpark is gone for good....

(now why it has been closed and maintaigned decent is strange.. but now it is "closed" that money went to the other water parks..)

River Country was too small as water parks go (I did love it though). It was their first foray in the field. The only way in was to leave your car at the Fort Wilderness parking and take a bus in or take a boat in from one of the other hotels. It was all part of theming. Accessibility was a big issue.
    I also heard that there were water problems. Can you still swim in Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon? I know you can't at the Beach and Yacht Clubs.

No, you can't swim in Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon. But that ... and accessibility had very little to do with RC's closing. Disney didn't want to spend the money to keep it open and do the required maintenance. Now, it just sits and rots (four years and counting).

But since you can't swim in Bay Lake, you're out of luck since RC uses the same water. I'm sure that was part of the maintainence issue. Besides it was a very small park compared to the newer versions. It was probably maintainence...you can't kill algae in Bay Lake with clorine, but at TL and BB you can. Health issue I'm sure disguised at maintainence.

• The Candidate

I don't know that the water couldn't be cleaned enough to bring it up to code once it was in RC, it just may have been expensive to do so. I also had a conversation with a CM who speculated that using the bay water may have been a security issue after 9/11.

• The Candidate

It was also kind of strange because the Mickey and Friends BBQ used RC's bathroom facilities and all of the lockers and showers were still in place, although in a state of disrepair.

There is NOTHING inherently unsafe about the Bay Lake water, which BTW, was filtered for swimming at River Country no matter what you've heard. There was no health issue -- that's simply one of those CM/Internet/Urban legends/rumors that takes on a life of its own and becomes taken as fact when it is far from it.

And frankly, if Disney was worried about health issues they'd close every pool on property or make all kids and many adults wear swim diapers to swim. There's not a day that goes by that many people (not all kids) don't urinate, defacate, vomit, spit, unleash nasal discharge etc. in the resort pools and TL and BB.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    that's simply one of those CM/Internet/Urban legends/rumors that takes on a life of its own and becomes taken as fact when it is far from it.
    So be it. It's just what I heard. I loved River Country. I've been there at least 20 times counting all my visits. It was a fun, RELAXING place to cool off. Goodbye River Country!!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    And frankly, if Disney was worried about health issues they'd close every pool on property or make all kids and many adults wear swim diapers to swim. There's not a day that goes by that many people (not all kids) don't urinate, defacate, vomit, spit, unleash nasal discharge etc. in the resort pools and TL and BB.
    Well I can't wait to hit the pools in December. Thanks!!

(BTW, DCL has already told us that my daughter cannot swim in the pool if she is still in diapers, a new cruise line rule. But she can run through the fountains in one of Mickey's Ears. Hopefully she'll be out of diapers by then. Less to carry)

• The Candidate

RC was a nice change of pace from the other two water parks. Maybe they will incorporate some of the ideas into the rumored third water park!

I am surprised that they don't let babies swim with the water diapers. Don't they empty those pools every night anyway?

Sorry, Herc, I just have never seen what goes on at WDW, happen anywhere else. The pools are regularly closed so that lifeguards can remove 'the solids' ... I find it so incredibly disgusting. Anyone who uses a pool as a toilet or allows their children to do so aren't only boorish cretins, but they are creating a potentially life-threatening situation in regards to other young kids, elderly and folks with compromised immune situations.

And, I'm sorry, but I am not a fan of swim diapers unless they are being used on children in the kiddie pool. I saw some idiots at the AKL the other day with a baby (who doesn't belong in a jacuzzi anyway) who was carrying a load and mom and dad were blissfully unaware/uncaring. I just left and went to my room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast