Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Drunk On Disney

Re: Sweetie's WDW trip report July 2-5th with photos

Day 3: Tuesday July 4

One of the employees at Epcot had told me that AK or DMGM would be the best places to go during the day on the 4th since Epcot and MK would be close to capacity.

She was right, because DMGM had very light crowds and as I left that evening I saw Disney personnel warning riders that MK was "closed."

I had a fun time at DMGM. I loved all the posters for the new shows and movies as well as the classics:

Maybe it's time to take this one down.

Speaking of odd, out of date things, take a look at this desk inside the Animation tour:

I was a little giddy after spotting a collection of Atari cartridges on the right side of the second shelf.

The animation tour was much better than it was last time I went (right after the studio had closed) they did a much better job giving you stuff to look at rather than a bunch of empty offices. They even had several Oscars on display.

There were lots of great characters out including:

Chip and Dale's love interest Clarice:

Lightning McQueen and Mater

And of course, the Power Rangers:

I tried the new Playhouse Disney character breakfast. It was very well done with some human hosts who interacted with the kids (just like the PCH Grill's breakfast in Anaheim.)

The characters included Leo and June from Little Einsteins and Jojo and Goliath from Jojo's Circus (don't feel bad if you don't know who they are... I didn't either.)

For lunch I went to the incredible SciFi Dine In theater:

The server came by at one point and told me he was sorry that I just missed the shuttle launch. If he had known is was going to launch he would have let me go out and look at it.

Then I took in the Beauty and the Beast show (and it's awesome pre-show)

I also went through the Walt Disney: One Man's Dream exhibit. They seemed to have eliminated the no photography rule that they were enforcing a few years back. Plenty of people were taking photos and video.

I took the opportunity to look over Roy's opening day notes:

Feeling a rainstorm coming I headed into Muppet Vision 3D. Even though there was no line I still decided to go all the way through the queue and check out all the great posters:

After I got out of Muppet Vision, I noticed that the rain had come and gone.

The next stop of this day was to the Polynesian Resort. I had tickets for the spirit of Aloha, but I arrived extra early to find a drink in a pineapple.

The Lapu Lapu:
    This is a fruity drink served inside a pineapple. You can get it at the Spirit of Aloha show or at the Ohana bar inside the Great Ceremonial House.

(quick tip: at 6pm on most night the Great Ceremonial House - AKA the lobby - hosts a torch lighting ceremony complete with drum playing and fire dancing. It's an abbreviated free version of the Aloha show. Take the monorail there sometime. Its pretty cool.)

Back to the Lapu Lapu. I had read that it was a "pretty strong" drink. Mine wasn't, so I guess it's up to the bartender how strong it is. It's a bit pricey, but you get to walk around drinking from a pineapple!

And I did.

I walked everywhere with my Lapu Lapu. When it was empty I grabbed a Sprite from the Soda machine and drank that. When that was empty I poured a bottled water inside it.

If you get one, be prepared to get asked "where did you get that" or told "that's the kind of drink I need" from every person you pass. The Lapu Lapu draws a whole lot of attention.

I loved the Lapu Lapu.

Until I got to the Spirit of Aloha show and traded it in for a Monkey Coconut.

I personally didn't like this drink and I couldn't wait to finish it. But I love that coconut! I named him "Doug" and put him in my living room.

The coconut is hollowed out and has a small plastic cup inside that is removable and reusable.

The Spirit of Aloha show features gorgeous ladies hula dancing in grass skirts, warriors juggling fire and some information about island culture.

It also features a storyline about a girl who moves from the island to the mainland and how her auntie wants her to keep her traditions. It also features a bunch of teenage surfers. This "hip" modern storyline seems unnecessary and takes away from the other parts of the show.

In my opinion, a simple old fashioned show (fire dancers, hula etc.) would work better. After all, the Hoop Dee Doo show doesn't need any modern touches why does this show.

Nonetheless, it is a good show with great food and some really neat performances.

At one point during the show they asked for everyone with a Fourth of July birthday to come up on stage. I thought they say "everyone with a birthday in late November come up on stage" so I went on stage and did the birthday hula.
    Can you spot me in the photo?

Because of the fireworks at MK and on the Seven Seas Lagoon the show takes an extra long intermission on the 4th of July. Because of this I highly recommend this show on that date. The fireworks viewing was awesome (on the beach right behind the theater) and we got all the MK audio and could even see Tinkerbell fly over the castle.

As part of the fireworks the Electric Water pageant floats were present with the stars and stripes floating on the water.

These were really AMAZING fireworks and the beach was so big it was easy to find your own secluded place. I only suggest bringing a towel with you so you can sit on the beach and not get "sandy."

After the show as everyone headed to the Polynesian's bus stops we walked the other way to the Grand Floridian. It actually looked closer and it was a nice quite walk. Once we got there we checked out their fine lobby which had on display a nice metal ferris wheel model:

Then we went outside and caught a bus to Pleasure Island's Adventurer's club.

The actors were fun and entertaining and then at midnight it was back outside for MORE fireworks:

Another impressive display, this time set to the tune of Born in the USA and other patriotic pop tunes.

After a little more time at the Adventurer's Club and a visit to World of Disney I went back to the room to call it a night.

Well, almost... first I HAD to watch some more Appliance Direct infomercials.

Day 4 (the final day) coming soon...
    Last edited by Guy Hutchinson; 07-07-2006 at 06:32 AM.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Drunk On Disney

Talking Re: Sweetie's WDW trip report July 2-5th with photos

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    So you keep saying I did this and I went there. But there had to be another person to take those great pics. So who is the invisible photographer?
    My entourage...

Actually it's my wife who warns me after every trip not to put her photo on the internet. It's just as well, she takes most of the photos so she is not in that many.

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic
    We had a delicious side of corn niblets.

It could have been, but then I guess that means I am just as charming.
    I am sure that was it.

Actually, I think the last time I went it was corn niblets. (I remember that because I have capped front teeth and I have to cut the corn off the cob.) Perhaps they change that from time to time depending on what they have in the kitchen or the type of harvest during that season.

Great pics!

if you want the appliance direct commercials, just go to the website, look at the bottom and there should be something thats says, Put Sam On Your iPod. Click it and download. It should download to iTunes

• back in Austin

Why do you want the infomercial video so badly? Are they hilariously bad?

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by disneydude35
    if you want the appliance direct commercials, just go to the website, look at the bottom and there should be something thats says, Put Sam On Your iPod. Click it and download. It should download to iTunes
    Perfect! I am downloading them right now!

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan
    Why do you want the infomercial video so badly? Are they hilariously bad?
    Yes, they are. Go to the website. You will love them!

• Monorail Racer

Heh, those infomercials are hilariously bad! Thanks for the pics. Looks like you've been having a great time and have been all over the parks. I love the pic of you looking over Roy's notes in the One Man's Dream exhibit.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Drunk On Disney

Day 4: Wednesday July 5

Woke up early and checked out of our Port Orleans room packing up all the loot we had bought over the past few days:

Here we have:
    -A rain poncho for Pal Mickey
    -The Disney Keepsakes book (a companion to the awesome Disney Treasures book.) It features pull out reprints of many great pieces of Disney memorabilia. I also have a similar book about I Love Lucy and one about Elvis.
    -A Donald Duck Mug
    -My Monkey Coconut
    -Flowered Leis
    -Stuffed Dino/Gator won in AK
    -The Imagineers Guides to EP and MK (great books! They really change your perspective on the parks.)
    -A Donald Duck notepad and figurine
    -A Stitch plush magnet
    -3 rubber (Donald) Ducks: Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion

Not shown is this:

An adorable (and possibly full sized) Kermit who arrived UPS this morning. I have debated getting one of these character statues for a while and I couldn't resist this one. He also plays "Rainbow Connection" when you wind him up!

Here is a little bit of info you might not know:
    If you stay at a Disney hotel and don't want maid service you still get new towels, shampoo, etc.
    They leave a big bag on the door handle every couple days!

Before we headed for the airport we spent several hours walking around the resort. The hotel held our luggage for us and we had a great time. This resort is really great, even if you don't stay here it's a great place to spend an afternoon!

I did a little cane pole fishing when I was there. Didn't catch anything, but it sure was fun!

We decided to use Disney's Magical Express to get to the airport. They told us to meet out front 3 hours before our flight time. It was a bit early, but everything went very smoothly.

The nice new bus made 3 stops before heading to the airport and then played a hysterical video:

The video showed a whole bunch of Disney Characters leaving WDW on the bus to go "home" to Disneyland.

They walked you through everything you had to do and could do at the airport. They went to the food court (where Stitch stole Minnie's ice cream) and to the Disney Store (where Donald was enraged to catch Daisy buying a Mickey doll.)

It was a really funny video and actually made me look forward to spending the next few hours in the airport!

They also told you about upcoming attractions (most of which have already opened.) They showed Stitch on Everest... he thought he was the monster on the ride, but even he was scared of Yeti.

I didn't try this service on the way to WDW, but it was definitley easy coming back from WDW. I will give it a shot both ways next time.

Before I end this report, I want to thank Micechat - and the following Micechatters in particular - for info regarding fireworks, pineapples and Disney's Wide World of Sports:

aimster
    Captain Jack
    Gorwingel
    jimmybop
    Lafitte
    Barbaraann
    DisneyPrincess4590
    JulieNMM
    WDWGirl
    Daannzzz

Thanks again!

Any questions?

• World Traveler

Thanks for the great pics!

So ... are you buying the wife a new fridge?

• Drunk On Disney

One thing I forgot to mention: on the 4th DMGM handed out little flag pins to each guest. It was a neat little giveaway (of course I would have preferred a special DISNEY flag pin.)

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I really enjoy this type of trip report - dialogue mixed with photos. Much more interesting than 20 paragraphs of I went here and then I rode this and then I ate a turkey leg. Nicely done, Sweetie!

Now if you could just change that evil avatar . . .

Next time you go to Orlando, you should try to meet the 'Appliance Direct' guy.

Great photo's and the report was fun to read.

• Banned User

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing!

• WDW FAN

those commercials sometimes last up to 30 minutes. they are freaking funny, but i miss the "Orlando Family Auto Mart" commercials from a few years back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast