Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Drunk On Disney

Sweetie's WDW trip report July 2-5th with photos

Hey all,
    Just got back from a FANTASTIC trip to WDW. I had just visited in mid-June, but when my schedule opened up for the July 4th weekend I nabbed one of Orbitz's travel deals.

DAY 1: Sunday July 2
    I arrived in Orlando early and headed to the "Disney's Magical Express" boarding area. It was really mobbed and none of the Disney employees could give me an realistic estimate for how long I would be waiting for a bus (one said "it could be 10 minutes, it could be over 2 hours.") so I grabbed a cab and 25 minutes (and $60) later I was at Port Orleans Riverside.

Port Orleans is absolutely gorgeous! I loved this resort. If you haven't been there before and are staying somewhere else, take a boat from Downtown Disney there. It is really a great place to walk around.

They also have bike rentals, fishing and horse and carriage rides there so there is plenty to do.

After getting settled into my room I went over to the Magic Kingdom. I tried to do as many patriotic things as possible.

I ate lunch in the grandstand at Casey's as I watched America's pastime (or at least some Disney related cartoons):

I read the plaque at Liberty Square:

Took a look at the Liberty Bell replica (funny thing is I drove by the real one as I headed to the Philadelphia airport that morning.)

I also checked out the Hall of Presidents. Good timing, since a rainstorm had just showed up (it was rather light rain and lasted less than 30 minutes.)

Afterwards I checked out the Country Bear Jamboree. Here's a little bit of detail you may have missed; there are claw marks on the floor in the lobby:

When planning my trip just days before my flight I was lucky enough to get into the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. I took the boat from MK to Pioneer Hall before the show. I showed up early so I could walk around.

I am glad I did. The whole Fort Wilderness area was very cool. I even got to see some animals in the Petting Zoo:

Then I saw the show. It was the same show as it's always been (I have seen it about 5 times) and the food was great. If you have never been you should really consider it. I think it's the best show in all of WDW.

That being said, I did enjoy it more last time... because the blonde gal sat on my lap during one of the skits.

After the show I took the boat back to MK, watched some of the Electric Water pageant and went back to my hotel.

Day 2 is coming soon...

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Wish I was in WDW..

Re: Sweetie's WDW trip report July 2-5th with photos

Sounded like you had a cool first day!

-Nikki

• Drunk On Disney

Day 2: Monday July 3

Started the day at Animal Kingdom for Donald's Prehistoric Breakfastosaurus. Being a big Donald fan, this is one place I try and go during every trip.

After breakfast I:

Stopped a fight between two dinosaurs:

Tried some Whack-a-mole:

And decided to never eat McDonald's again:

I also rode Dinosaur:

and checked out the astonishing skeleton of Dino Sue:

Then I rode Primeval Whirl for the first time since 1998. I LOVED IT! I can't believe how many times I had skipped this one over the years!

After spending the morning at AK I went to Disney's Wide World of Sports. The odd thing is that you can't catch a bus to the complex from anywhere BUT Disney/MGM. The buses do run every 20 minutes however, so even with the transfer we were there quickly.

Wide World is an impressive facility. It is HUGE and very pleasant to look at. When we arrived I asked if the admission was included in our Park Hopper pass. The lady at the booth told me "don't worry about that, I am just going to give you complimentary passes."

I am not sure why I got the free passes. Maybe it was because I looked so handsome in my Donald Duck hat. Or, perhaps they always give free passes when there are no "major" events being held. Either way, I don't question free stuff so I just grabbed the free passes and ran inside.

First stop was Cracker Jack Stadium. They had a game going on between a couple teams. All of the players were in their early teens.

I grabbed some popcorn and sat in the stands and cheered for whomever was at bat at that moment.

There were plenty of open seats.

After 7 innings I wandered around and found The Milk House:

Seeking a tall glass of calcium enriched skim I headed inside only to find that this was a basketball arena.

These were young pre-teen girls playing, and playing well. It was exhausting just watching them.

Next stop was the All Star Cafe. It's like Planet Hollywood, only for sports. They have tons of displays around the restaurant, but the host was real strict about keeping you by your table.

He didn't like people walking around the restaurant.

They have great chicken wings there and they also have Buzztime trivia. This is one of those networked trivia games. The server gives you a controller and you compete against other patrons (locally and nationally.)

I won my round:

Sure, the place was kind of empty and sure, most of the other players were children. Still, it was a victory.

After I left WWoS I got on the bus and it started POURING. Heavy, heavy rain. When I got to DMGM to transfer (again) it was still pouring. I tried to stay dry under a poncho as I got on the bus to Epcot and by the time I got there the sun was out and stayed out for the rest of the day.

I spent most of my time at world showcase. I got to meet Belle and Beast in France:

Princess Aurora was there as well. At the refreshment outpost I found Jane (from Tarzan) and Terk and I saw Gideon (Pinocchio) outside Italy.

On the stage across from the American Adventure was 52nd Street: A Billy Joel cover band (part of the "Sounds Like Summer" series.)

One of my favorite pavilions was China. I had entered to see the circlevision movie, but after spending a few minutes staring at the amazing ceiling:

I found an exciting exhibit on Hong Kong Disneyland.

I spent sooooo much time looking at the sketches and models that I decided to skip the movie all together and head to the UK for one of those giant beers:

Then I went to Future World, stayed there until closing and then went back to Port Orleans. Rather than get off the bus at my stop (Riverside) I got off at French Quarter.

I walked around and checked out the sights (I think I prefer Riverside) and took the boat back to my room for some pizza:

and Appliance Direct:

Day 3 coming soon....

• Drunk On Disney

Before I go any further, let me put out a request:

If anyone lives in the Orlando area and can tape the Appliance Direct informercial PM me. I will play you! I am desperatly in need of this tape!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie
    Before I go any further, let me put out a request:

If anyone lives in the Orlando area and can tape the Appliance Direct informercial PM me. I will play you! I am desperatly in need of this tape!
    Play!?

You poor, sick child!

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Play!?

You poor, sick child!

I meant PAY, although... I could... uh.... no.

Just pay. I shall play no one.

• Banned User

I meant PAY, although... I could... uh.... no.

Just pay. I shall play no one.
    I know it was a spelling mistake, hence the winking smiley thing-a-ma-bob.

• Disneyland Bear

Sounds like you had fun. I leave for my trip in a week from tomorrow! So excited. Though we're staying with the Grandparents in Tampa for the weekend and not going to Orlando till the 17th. I'm going to try my best to have the time of my life, though it is hard when you have a Disney hating, Universal loving younger brother.

• Just your average Joe.

Blog Entries

Oh man these are great trip reports! Thanks for sharing. You always have a unique perspective and a great sense of humor. Can't wait for day 3!

Nice trip reports! Thanks.

About the food at the Hoop De Doo don't remember most of it except the corn, MMmmmm.

And I don't think the Wide World of Sports charges you unless they have an event going on.

great report...and fun to see you wearing an 'AI' jersey in the Orlando hood (keep the jersey...it may be worth even more with the rumours going around about AI leaving.)

I loved PO/FQ when I stayed there back in 1994. Of course I remember when part of it was Dixie Landings. Had a great time and yea, it really is a great location to get to and from.

Never been to WWoS, but now I want to go.

Thanks for the pics.

• Drunk On Disney

Wink Re: Sweetie's WDW trip report July 2-5th with photos

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic
    Nice trip reports! Thanks.

About the food at the Hoop De Doo don't remember most of it except the corn, MMmmmm.

And I don't think the Wide World of Sports charges you unless they have an event going on.
    The food was:
    BBQ Ribs
    Fried Chicken
    Corn Bread (with the sweetest butter I have ever had)
    Corn on the cob
    BBQ beans
    Strawberry shortcake
    Beer/wine/soda

All you could eat and drink for $50 a person. Not a bad price for a great show.

As for WWoS... that MAY be true about the free admission when no event is taking place. But, it also could have been my charm and good looks that got me through the door.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Nice pics. I'll never be able to walk between those 2 dinosaurs again without think of you in your majestic battle pose!.

So you keep saying I did this and I went there. But there had to be another person to take those great pics. So who is the invisible photographer?

• All you need is LOVE

Wow thanks for sharing

The food was:
    BBQ Ribs
    Fried Chicken
    Corn Bread (with the sweetest butter I have ever had)
    Corn on the cob
    BBQ beans
    Strawberry shortcake
    Beer/wine/soda

As for WWoS... that MAY be true about the free admission when no event is taking place. But, it also could have been my charm and good looks that got me through the door.
    We had a delicious side of corn niblets.

It could have been, but then I guess that means I am just as charming.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast