• Oh... riiiiiiiiight.

A day in the life of a NYFA student

As I've stated in other threads, I'm here in Orlando for six weeks for the New York Film Academy. So, I decided to talk about what we do each day.

We've been shooting at Epcot all week, so we need to be up by 5 so we can get to the park before it opens. We drive backstage, but there's not much interesting there aside from a Figment topiary and an open Illuminations globe.

We enter through Italy, while it's still dark out. Then each group goes to their specific filming location. We had three choices: Italy, Morocco, and France. We were filming in Italy today.

Empty Prototype Community Of Today.

The streets are devoid of guests, and landscapers, painters, and custodians are rushing about to get the World Showcase ready by 11.

Now, I really hadn't planned out my film much. So we didn't even start shooting till 8:30, two hours after we got there. We had to rush. Plus, my film involved a lot of swordplay, so we needed to coriograph the fights. In addition, the film was based off my manga so the actors needed to have an almost anime-like look to them.

Mitsukai

Mitsukai

Mitsukai vs. Grave

Grave vs. Kurika

Due to a shortage of male actors, we needed to have a group member play Grave, the villain. Having had a long week, he was very cranky and unenthusiastic about it. Oh, and he had to wear a full-body zombie costume, which had to be wrapped up, then had to wear a mask, another mask over that one, and a heavy cloak in the heat.

Original Drawing of Grave

Also, the actress who played Kurika, while a very good actress, just wasn't right for the role. The character is tough and independent, but the actress is sweet and innocent. Plus, she wouldn't let me color her hair.

Original Drawing of Kurika

The lead actor, though, did a great job. We get him in our films a lot and he's possibly the best actor there is in the academy. Plus, he already looked a lot like the character he was playing.

Original sketch of Mitsukai

We managed to get finished in the nick of time, but we didn't do everything I would've liked to have done. Next time I'll plan better.

When the sun starts coming out, so do the Epcot Squirrels. These little guys are surprisingly tolerant of people, possibly even to the level of being friendly. They have no problem with taking food offered to them. Heck, even if you just hold out your hand as if you have food, they'll get about 7 inches away from it.

Have you faced the Yeti?

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: A day in the life of a NYFA student

the squirrels look possessed.

• insufferable know-it-all

Nice photo essay!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Defying gravity

Good pics. What exactly is your movie about? Weren't you also filming w/ blood in the Studios? Does NYFA have an arrangement w/ WDW to film in their parks?

• Oh... riiiiiiiiight.

The plot is basically that Grave, the villain, has kidnapped Kurika, the heroine, and Mitsukai, the hero, needs to save her. We only get to film at MGM and Epcot, and only when it's scheduled. We film in MGM during normal park hours, but we can only film in Epcot before World Showcase opens.

Here's a short vid of a scene (this isn't going to be used in the film, we shot the film in black and white).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HXs27lr4hw

Here's something completely random.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk84-_EYQR8

Have you faced the Yeti?

fun stuff. Hope you post the finished product. Good luck.