• Original Mice-Chatter

Mission Space in the news again-

surprised no one said anything about this

Why is this news? I thought it happened ALL THE TIME.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Mission Space in the news again-

I posted the news story in the News section, and a few folks have made comments...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

ORLANDO, Florida - A woman lost consciousness while getting off a Walt Disney World ride, which two people have died on in the past 13 months, authorities said.

The 35-year-old woman was getting off "Mission: Space" when she fell about 8:30 p.m. Monday, Deputy Chief Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department told the Orlando Sentinel.

She told rescue workers she had tingling in her arms and hands, Jones said. She was taken by helicopter to Orlando Regional Medical Center in stable condition.

The woman's name has not been released.

A telephone call by The Associated Press to Disney officials was not immediately returned Tuesday morning.

"Mission: Space" spins in a centrifuge that subjects riders to twice the normal force of gravity.

Hiltrud Bluemel, 49, died April 12, one day after she went on the ride. A preliminary report from the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office showed Bluemel died from bleeding of the brain. She also suffered from severe, long standing high blood pressure, according to the medical examiner's office.

A 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy also died last June while riding the attraction. An autopsy determined Daudi Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Pennsylvania, died of an irregular heartbeat linked to a natural causes.
    People lose consciousness all the time?

I really wonder what will happen if there is another death with the next couple of months. If Disney shut down the Skyway just for some kid falling into a tree, I wonder how long before Disney's lawyers persuade them to shut down Mission Space.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    surprised no one said anything about this

Why is this news? I thought it happened ALL THE TIME.
    It really isn't news and it does happen all the time; probably every day at every theme park in the world. It only seems like news for some because it happened at Mission: Space, the current red headed stepchild for the ignorant, sensationalist media.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Pacha
    It really isn't news and it does happen all the time; probably every day at every theme park in the world. It only seems like news for some because it happened at Mission: Space, the current red headed stepchild for the ignorant, sensationalist media.
    They do it because Disney is suppost to be company we can trust with safety. Most people in the media tend to like tarnishing the trust we have for Disney just for ratings.....Just like how most of them tarnished the trusting image of teachers, priests, politicians, and doctors in many cases made public.

• Monorail Racer

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan

I really wonder what will happen if there is another death with the next couple of months. If Disney shut down the Skyway just for some kid falling into a tree, I wonder how long before Disney's lawyers persuade them to shut down Mission Space.
    Actually, it was a 65-year-old Cast Member who had been sweeping up in the loading area of the ride (where he shouldn't have been), was surprised at the oncoming Skyway car and grabbed onto the outside edge of the car as it left the Skyway station before falling. The Skyway did not close just because of this. It closed for reasons of maintenance, costs, weather, etc. The Skyway had already been shut down in DL in 1994 and Tokyo Disneyland in 1998. So WDW's Skyway closing was inevitable, whether a CM fell or not.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• 1000th Happy Haunt

I could be totally wrong, but I read somewhere that the company that manufactured all of those skybucket rides for parks went belly-up. That's why there really aren't any of them left anywhere. They used to be fairly standard attractions in most parks of any size.

• Monorail Racer

I know that specifically in DL's case, the cost of upgrading the ride to be earthquake protected and accessible to wheelchairs was going to be cost-prohibitive. The rides aren't able to operate in bad weather or high winds. There are still some parks that operate them, but an awful lot have shut down in the last 15 years.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan

Actually they closed SkyWay down because of the amount of CMs the ride required and the ride itself was falling apart a bit.

They can bring it back NOW though!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Actually they closed SkyWay down because of the amount of CMs the ride required and the ride itself was falling apart a bit.
    This actual information came from where exactly?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Screenwriter for NLF

Well, people get hurt and sometimes die due to riding thrill rides all the time. It just doesn't get reported as often. Now the media is all over Disney because they've had so many deaths in a certain amount of time. Plus it doesn't hurt that the whole world knows about Disney. I mean, how many people really care about what happens at one of the Six Flags parks?
    Hey Disney Fans, come say hi to me at http://www.myspace.com/blackiepueblo

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

From snopes.com -

"The Skyway was not dismantled out of a fear of similar incidents, but for a variety of economic factors, including the attraction's age and carrying capacity, staffing requirements, maintenance costs, and the expense required to upgrade the Skyway to conform to newer safety and access standards. "

While nosing around for this info, I stumbled onto a true gem - disneylies.com. If you SoCal folks ever listen to Mark & Brian, this site sounds like it was written by Gabe Jackson. Very funny, very well done!