Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: River country looking rather rough

so is that supposed to be a pool the green thing? and where were the slides? the green thing looks like a nasty pond

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    so is that supposed to be a pool the green thing? and where were the slides? the green thing looks like a nasty pond
    Well, after you drain the water... and dont do maintainence to the place for a year and half... rain water could collect and then stuff can happen... Another reason if your there your in trouble... unless have permission.. (like to use the restrooms for the show at wilderness....)

• Robot Chicken Rules!

I had actually never been to River Country but EVERYBODY that had been there before it had closed it's doors for good (or so it may seem) they had said that was the best water park to go to. I did not hear one negative thing about that park.
    So here is my question, why did they shut it down? Were there too many safety issues or water not clean enough, for crying out loud it was called the good old fashion swimming hole.
    I agree with some of the above posts that TL and BB get's packed really really quick they need more water parks and not just 2 or even 3 and yes they need to bring this back so i can go there for the first time lol.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

well I found the actual pool, I was looking at the real pond lake thing. The actual pool is a cement bottom etc, and I found 2 slides in rocks, was that it?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    You swim in the lake when skiing.. and doing things like walking in the lake when doing beach starts (I've done this at WDW). Its been awhile since staying at the Poly.. but I don't remember them keeping you out of the water on the beachs there either. And bacteria isn't anything new.. I'm sure its been there the entire 30+ years WDW has been there
    You are no longer allowed to swim (or wade) in any of the "natural" lakes at WDW, skiing is also no longer allowed. Neither have been allowed for at least 3 years now. And you are right, the bacteria isn't new, but it was only recently discovered as the cause of a number of illnesses. Even then, the highest concentrations of this bacteria are at the bottom of the lakes, and Disney has prohibited these water activites to be on the safe side.

'would' increase? The issue of its location and lack of direct access has always been the same. Those costs were built into its operating model from the start. We always took the boats over. But like I said before.. that was back when the lagoon area had its own 'destination' to it.. as it was the only place besides epcot for a number of years
    You are correct there, but now with rising fuel costs that would cause in increase in admission prices. Also with Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach open, the demand would not be as high for River Country, therefor attracting less Guests, meaning each ticket would have to cost more to make up the difference.

EDIT: After a little extra research, the water activity ban has been in effect since late 2001/early 2002. Also, a link to the CDC website containing information regarding the bacteria being discussed: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi..._naegleria.htm
    Last edited by AEGuy42; 07-16-2006 at 06:26 PM.

The bacteria (which can be a health issue, although rare, never was at RC because the water was filtered) and transport issues are just BS. Plain and simple.

I have posted detailed explanations on River Country's demise in the past on this site, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

But the place was closed for $$$ reasons. It needed major upkeep work and Disney thought it would be more cost effective to close it and let it rot.

It would be cool to make another water park themed like river country.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    it looks really bad. I acn only imagine the costs to upkeep the area. I wold never want to swim there. Even further out in the water looks gross. With two other waterparks would this one really get the attendence it needs?
    People would go...I will stand behind this. The population from WL and the campground could float RC.

As far as the bacteria...this is new to me (not that I am verse with updated bacteria reports in lakes that exist in Orlando.) But I am assuming that such bacteria problems have been there since the inception of the park.

From what I can fathom, it does seem like a either a money issue or a 'maybe we should wait and see if we can make this happen again' type of situation. It is a shame, as stated above, the park is left to rot.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I remember going to River Country very fondly. When we stayed at the Contemporary we took a water taxi over, I still see the dock exit in those photos and my favorite part of the park was the rope that you held onto from up high and then you rode down a line and then let go, it was so much fun.

But yeah, I also remember how gross the water looked so I can see the health issues there.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42
    ...skiing is also no longer allowed. Neither have been allowed for at least 3 years now.
    Umm, I think you might be wrong there. Skiing is still actively being advertised on the disneyworld website. There's an area on Bay Lake that has warning buoys all around it - other boaters are supposed to stay away from there to keep out of the way of skiers. I can't recall seeling skiing there in the past couple years, but I think it's still offered.

^That's what I thought also, but I checked the official Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian websites and I couldn't find any mention of skiing. The only water-activities listed are watercraft rental (and pools, of course).

EDIT: After searching aorund a bit on the WDW website, I did find skiing, parasailing, wakeboarding, tubing and personal watercraft. I'm if it's run by Disney though, as the contact information for it is Sammy Duvall's Watersports Centre, located at the WDW Contemporary Marina, and it's not listed on the Contemporary's website.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sillycrazygoof
    I had actually never been to River Country but EVERYBODY that had been there before it had closed it's doors for good (or so it may seem) they had said that was the best water park to go to. I did not hear one negative thing about that park.
    It was cool for its time... but relative to today's standard you can find anything better in your local water park or really be wow'd at a full fledged one like Disney's or schlitterbahn.

What was unique about river country was the lake area with things like rope swings, zip lines, and tire swings. Alot of that kind of stuff can be found in tikes areas of parks today.. including a zip line at blizzard beach, etc.

People would like it for the nostaglia.. but as a paid gate it would have to be priced so low. If anything they should have something for WL and FW.. but beyond that.. stick the money into the full fledged parks.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    well I found the actual pool, I was looking at the real pond lake thing. The actual pool is a cement bottom etc, and I found 2 slides in rocks, was that it?
    Yes, that had a waterfall and 2 slides that dropped into it. The park also had tube slides that emptied into the lake.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42
    You are correct there, but now with rising fuel costs that would cause in increase in admission prices.
    ?? Do you see MK tickets going up in price because the ferry is more expensive?

Besides.. these boats already run.. the resorts all around MK all have boat launches that take you to the MK and to other resorts.

Also with Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach open, the demand would not be as high for River Country, therefor attracting less Guests, meaning each ticket would have to cost more to make up the difference.
    Yeah this is the keystone.. RC simply got overshadowed.. and as it aged I'm sure the money required to overhaul it simply wasn't worth the return. I think part of the 'mystery' for disney fans is the fun part how Disney doesn't seem to demolish things unless absolutly necessary.. further fueling the conspiracy theories Tho I'm sure the mess of RC is a bit of health hazard

• Monorail Racer

It's sad to see it in this shape. Every time I see pics of it looking like this, it's kind of depressing. Loved that waterpark and it really had a charm all it's own.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast