Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

River country looking rather rough

'Lo all.

I hope someone hasn't posted this already but has anyone seen the state of River Country?

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.411044~-81.564762&style=o&lvl=2&scene=3928986

The main pool has been reduced to a blob of green slime.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: River country looking rather rough

that's a cool site, thanks for sharing.

Yea...the subject was posted a few months ago...but still should be highlighted because it was such a cool part of WDW. With summer here, how grand would it be to hang out there to cool off. I love this place and I am sorry that it has been shut.

lets organise a micechat breakin!!

Sad.

So many happy memories of the place. Such a beautiful, tranquil, unique water park ... and Disney shut it down to save money ... now, it just rots.

And it's not like both TL and BB close daily due to capacity issues, so who needs it!

Yea, 'unique water park' is a great description and apt title for what River Country was. It is sad...for in its simplicity (it surely does not have all the bells and whistles of TL or BB,) is what made it perfect. Maybe, just maybe, it will have a life again.

I'd like to see Disney do something with that area at least, the skeleton of River Country is depressing. I would think it'd be in their best interest to demolish the whole thing and start over using the same theme, considering the whole park would have to be redone to meet the health code standards that say the majority of the water must be chlorinated.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

what was this park?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    what was this park?
    That's River Country, first first DIsney water park in WDW.

Does anyone remember the slide which ended in an 8 foot freefall? That was insane! I think you were in a raft or a rubber ring or something.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by tito
    Does anyone remember the slide which ended in an 8 foot freefall? That was insane! I think you were in a raft or a rubber ring or something.
    Do you mean the slides on the rocks that dropped into the pool? There was a rock formation that sat next to the pool area that had short slides that dropped into the deep side of the pool. Maybe more like 6ft drops... but we were kids so it seemed bigger

The two long slides in the park were traditional slides that ended in the lagoon.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MMP
    I'd like to see Disney do something with that area at least, the skeleton of River Country is depressing. I would think it'd be in their best interest to demolish the whole thing and start over using the same theme, considering the whole park would have to be redone to meet the health code standards that say the majority of the water must be chlorinated.
    I think the 'health code' thing is something that is hersay that just lives on and on in the forums. There is nothing wrong with having a beach (WDW has plenty of those) where you can go in to the water.. and WDW still has water sports on the same lagoon. Keeping the lagoon 'clear' enough I'm sure take alot of work, but lakes are swam in all over

The real kicker was disney opened two more water parks of 10x the size and 10x the draw. River Country would be delegated to Fort Wilderness' little playground. You couldn't charge enough to keep up the cost. Remember by that time River Country was almost 20 years old.. at that age you start looking at massive overhauls = $$$. By modern standards, River Country isn't much beyond an extensive pool complex many hotels have! In its day it was very cool, and very much part of the WDW experience.. but times have moved on to bigger and better.

It's sad that WDW has lost the intimancy that you had around bay lake and the lagoon. If anything I'd prefer they'd redevelop that concept for the hotels in the area.. more so then resurrect the past attractions

^The health code thing is NOT hearsay. In many Florida lakes there are bacteria that, if exposed to too many for too long, could (and have) killed. These microorginisms live primarily near the bottom of lakes, so water spray from watercraft won't kill you, but swimming down to the bottom of a lake (or pool filled with untreated lake water) could be dangerous. I'm not sure if there is an actual law that prohibits swimming in the lakes, but Disney is playing on the safe side.

ANother reason why River Country closed is transportation issues. If anyone wanted to go there, they'd have to get to Fort Wilderness first, then take a tram to River Country. Not only is this confusing, but it adds to the operating cost of River Country, which would increase its admission prices, and since the park had such a low capacity it would mean substantial increases.

It would be nice to see River Country, the first themed water park ANYWHERE, to come back to it's former glory, however it doesn't look like it will.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42
    ^The health code thing is NOT hearsay. In many Florida lakes there are bacteria that, if exposed to too many for too long, could (and have) killed. These microorginisms live primarily near the bottom of lakes, so water spray from watercraft won't kill you, but swimming down to the bottom of a lake (or pool filled with untreated lake water) could be dangerous. I'm not sure if there is an actual law that prohibits swimming in the lakes, but Disney is playing on the safe side.
    You swim in the lake when skiing.. and doing things like walking in the lake when doing beach starts (I've done this at WDW). Its been awhile since staying at the Poly.. but I don't remember them keeping you out of the water on the beachs there either. And bacteria isn't anything new.. I'm sure its been there the entire 30+ years WDW has been there

ANother reason why River Country closed is transportation issues. If anyone wanted to go there, they'd have to get to Fort Wilderness first, then take a tram to River Country. Not only is this confusing, but it adds to the operating cost of River Country, which would increase its admission prices, and since the park had such a low capacity it would mean substantial increases.
    'would' increase? The issue of its location and lack of direct access has always been the same. Those costs were built into its operating model from the start. We always took the boats over. But like I said before.. that was back when the lagoon area had its own 'destination' to it.. as it was the only place besides epcot for a number of years

• no flash photography...

it looks really bad. I acn only imagine the costs to upkeep the area. I wold never want to swim there. Even further out in the water looks gross. With two other waterparks would this one really get the attendence it needs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast