• Know More Than You Should

Post It's Closed, But Not Really...

I've been checking out the park schedules in preperation for my upcoming trip to WDW (July 30-August 3) and I couldn't help but notice this note in the schedule"

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...rDailyViewPage

OPERATIONAL UPDATES
    The Making of Me: Operates Seasonally; Temporarily Closed July 31, 2006
    Body Wars: Operates Seasonally; Temporarily Closed July 31, 2006
    Cranium Command: Operates Seasonally; Temporarily Closed July 31, 2006
    "Temporarily Closed"? Now I had heard that Wonders of Life was officially in "Closed" state at this point (although I hope its busy and they decide to open it, because I've never been in there), and yet its still listed here as "Temporarily Closed". Now I am of course familiar with Disney's defination of "hiatus" and such, I just found this curious. Are they keeping it as a "Get out of Jail Free Card" that they can open on really busy days?

Now of course this note appears (with that day's date) on every day of the calendar, even on Christmas Day and New Years Eve.

Until...

January First, 2007. At which point this note changes to...

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...rDailyViewPage

OPERATIONAL UPDATES
    Body Wars: Operates Seasonally; Temporarily Closed January 1, 2007
    And this note appears on every day in January, all the way thru February 1st, at which point calendar information is not yet available. Could it be that The Making of Me and Cranium Command will be open in January? And if the pavillion will be open, why close Body Wars?

Anybody with ideas/information?

Re: It's Closed, But Not Really...

I have no idea, I've heard all sorts of silly rumors, right down to the one about the building being infested with asbestos. Which I find hard to believe since I have attended cast events in the building since it was closed.
    But in my opinion for the money it would cost them to bring that pavillion up to date they might as well start from scratch and come up with much better concepts for a pavillion about the human body and such. Whether or not they will really do that is the real question.

Blog Entries

It's my understanding that they will never list something as officially closed until they have a true idea what's going to happen next. It's possible that a sponsor could come in for WoL, inject some money, redo much of the pavilion and then it would reopen. So until they have a true idea of what's going to happen next, they just list it as temporarily closed.

I think it also protects them from the ADA. If it's only temporarily closed if it doesn't meet up with ADA guidelines that's ok since it was built before the ADA went into effect. If it's ever listed as completely closed then it can't be reopened in any form until it complies with the act. I could be wrong on that though, but I've read that a few times as well.

I agree with you both. I'm still curious about how Making of Me and Cranium Command suddely dissapear in January, while Body Wars remains. It seems to me if you were going to open the pavillion, the time to do it would be either July or December, the busiest times of the year. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Disney Memory Maker

Disney usually lists something as "Seasonally Open"/"Temporarily Closed" until they don't need it anymore/can't use it anymore. My guess is that they are holding out to see if they need it during the holiday time. I can't see any reason why they'd open it in January. But doesn't Disney have to open an attraction for a certain amount of time to keep it "seasonal" (I thought I remember reading that somewhere)?

Now the optimistic side of me hopes for something else by the removal of CC & MoM on the list.... that maybe those will be gutted after this year, leaving only BW & the building's structure left. Personally....I'd rather demolish the whole thing.....reminded me too much of a stuck-in-the-80s-Richard-Simmons-Hell.

Also, a slightly different question... is Epcot usually open until 9:30 during the Holidays?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Oh DDDD-DEAR, Poor Piglet

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Also, a slightly different question... is Epcot usually open until 9:30 during the Holidays?
    ummm... some what.... During the nights when they have the candlelight processional, the 2nd showing ends a bit after 9.... because of this they push back illuminations until 9:15 causeing the park to be open a bit later.
    Thank You for dropping by my post. I do hope you enjoyed your stay....

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybop
    ummm... some what.... During the nights when they have the candlelight processional, the 2nd showing ends a bit after 9.... because of this they push back illuminations until 9:15 causeing the park to be open a bit later.
    Everyday after Thanksgiving (up until December 30th), the park closing & RoE is listed as 9:30.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Well WoL was still on the park maps last year (marked as "Open Seasonally"). I've never even been in the building, so I hope its open during my trip, though I realize that is extremely unlikely.

I do think one of the biggest killers for this pavillion was location. I never even realized it was there until I read about it online; and it's next to my favorite attraction (Universe of Energy). The fact that Kevin's photos from NYE last year showed it as being next to empty while the rest of the park was overflowing is a clear indication that something needs to be changed. I don't know if it just needs more prominant sinage/advertising or if it really needs new rides and attractions, but whatever the problem is there clearly is a problem here.

I'd be curious to see what news we here come December/January.

WoL is DOA. It will NEVER reopen. I'm not sure the reason why it is still listed, but I wouldn't doubt that it has some financial (likely tax) reason why Disney chooses to list it. So far, no replacement has been decided upon but ideas are being considered. I'd like to see them salvage the building itself. I see no reason why it should be destroyed.

And, yes Mikey, Epcot's hours are always extended a whole 30 miuntes from the day after Turkey Day to Dec. 30th so Disney can sell an extra Candlelight Dinner package. Illuminations: RoE is held at closing on those dates as well.

Are you actually considering a holiday visit?

• Pilot EdForceOne

there are plenty of instances were you see these funky references (and dates) on how they list closings. Wierd ways of saying it vs just flat out saying closed. Probably some ryme to it.

You don't have to update for ADA unless you do renovations.. and then there are guidelines which determine if something is significant enough.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Are you actually considering a holiday visit?
    Not anytime soon... just wondering.