• Ignored & in the shadows

Main Street Favorites...

So, what are your favorite/absolute must stop at/recommend to everyone places/shops (yeah I'm trying to be all-inclusive here) on Main Street and why?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~
    September '94 - WDW (MK, Epcot)
    '95 - Disneyland
    September '00 - (MK, SeaWorld, Wet n Wild) WDW Off site
    Halloween '02 - (MK, Epcot, AK, MGM) WDW Off site
    May '04 - (MGM) WDW - All Star Music

[countdown=&day=22&month=5&year=2005&hour=3&min=30& sec=55]
    Countdown to Birthday with Da Mouse!
    Doin' Disney - Dementia style! [/countdown]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Poocha Chubugga Oom Chickee! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

• Banned User

There is simply nothing much to recommend on Main Street since the closing of the Cinema, the Magic shop and when they decided to sell the same stuff at all stores on Main Street. The only things I could recommend doing on Main Street is having an ice cream cone at the Ice Cream Parlor, or have a foot-long dog at Coke Corner.

• Inappropriate

The only thing that comes to mind right off hand is the Emporium, AKA really long store. There's nothing really special about it. But for some reason I always find myself walking thru it. I don't even buy anything, but it's there. And it gets you around Main STreet crowds.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Yeah, too bad theres no longer DISNEY WORLD specific merchandise thats different from DISNEYLAND merchandise and DISNEY STORE stuff.

Used to be more exciting to get a souvenir from the Disney parks before Pooh was all over everything at Walmart.

They have made it all too generic and boring.

Does WDW's Magic Kingdom have a DisneyGallery on Main Street? Where did all it's attractions go?

• Been there-Doing it again

Yep, I have to agree with the others. There is nothing on Main Street you won't find in all the other stores in the parks. It used to have unique stores but it's all generic now. My advice is to skip it unless you need somewhere to get out of the rain.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    When did the magic shop close? Last time I was there it was up and running.

I love Main Street. Walking under the railroad tracks and getting that first glimpse of Main Street floods my mind with all of the memories of my childhood. I'm immediately overwhelmed with anticipation for everything The Park offers.

I was never much of a fan of the main Street vehicles, but a trip to Disneyland was never complete without a goodbye visit to Mr. Lincoln (maybe that was my parents way of getting some educational benefit from our trips :o ).

As far as shopping goes:
    -I never miss the music store (20th Century Music something-or-the-other, right next to the [allegedly] closed magic shop ). It is sort of a one-stop for music and DVD, and they have a great selection.
    -I also enjoy the China Closet, especially during the holidays. They usually offer a variety of merchandise that isn't available in all the other shops.
    -The watch shop is always interesting, especially if there's an artist on site making watchface artwork.
    -And, of course, the candy shop where you can see if the candymakers are creating your favorite treat. Nothing like a fresh Caramel Bar!

Main Street doesn't have any thrill rides, but it's definitely the heart and soul of Disneyland. And, in my opinion, it's the part of The Park that best represents Walt.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

The MK's Main Street is a joke. All of the attractions have been removed ... no Walt Disney Story (now a photo shop), Fire House (now a shop), Penny Arcade (now a shop), Main Street Cinema (now a shop), Horsedrawn Streetcars (run very limited hours). Other things like the bank (became the Disneyana shop, which than closed and is now package pickup), Center Street disappeared ( was closed in to expand the Emporium). Then all the shops decided to carry the same WalMart quality merchandise, all character-related. No more magic shop, no more true athletic stuff in the athletic shop etc ... Then, Disney realized it had too much retail space and actually closed some stores and blacked out the windows.

Just very sad. Instead of a themed land, it has the look of an outlet mall, gone bad.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    When did the magic shop close? Last time I was there it was up and running.

I was never much of a fan of the main Street vehicles, but a trip to Disneyland was never complete without a goodbye visit to Mr. Lincoln (maybe that was my parents way of getting some educational benefit from our trips :o ).

Main Street doesn't have any thrill rides, but it's definitely the heart and soul of Disneyland. And, in my opinion, it's the part of The Park that best represents Walt.

UHH we were talking about the one in FLORIDA sorry...
    I never see the Main Street Vehicles or streetcars going any more and the characters are never out and about there any more either.

Also talking about CA here sorry.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    UHH we were talking about the one in FLORIDA sorry...
    I never see the Main Street Vehicles or streetcars going any more and the characters are never out and about there any more either.

Also talking about CA here sorry.
    Oh, Ok :o . That makes sense.

BTW, I had no idea WDW-MK-Main Street was such a mess. The last time I was at WDW was in 1990, and I just thought it was amazing then.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

There have been HUGE changes in the past 15 years on Main Street -- and all of WDW.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    There have been HUGE changes in the past 15 years on Main Street -- and all of WDW.
    I haven't been in about 10 years, so please tell us.

^^^Read Post No. 7 for changes on Main Street. If you'd like to know anything specific, please ask.

The MK's Main Street is a joke. All of the attractions have been removed ... no Walt Disney Story (now a photo shop), Fire House (now a shop), Penny Arcade (now a shop), Main Street Cinema (now a shop), Horsedrawn Streetcars (run very limited hours). Other things like the bank (became the Disneyana shop, which than closed and is now package pickup), Center Street disappeared ( was closed in to expand the Emporium). Then all the shops decided to carry the same WalMart quality merchandise, all character-related. No more magic shop, no more true athletic stuff in the athletic shop etc ... Then, Disney realized it had too much retail space and actually closed some stores and blacked out the windows.
    Main Street used to offer a quaint shopping experience. You used to be able to do banking there. You used to be able to buy a card at the Stationary Shop there. You could buy magic tricks at the Magic Shop as well as sports collectibles at the Athletic Shop. You could even buy non-Disney china and porcelain. Now it's character clothing everywhere. That's what the Emporium and Disney Clothiers were for. As for the Walt Disney Story, I feel it is a slap in the face not to honor the gentleman who created this empire. It should be playing all the time. Now that they are moving to PhotoPass, maybe it could one day return. About the Cinema, why on earth would they shut this down for the size store that was put in. The Main Street Cinema is about history. It's about creating the look and feel of a time gone by. Both are sorely missed. I just can't believe that the Gallery closed also. What a great place to shop. Nice building for package pickup. Way to spend your money, guys.
    Just very sad. Instead of a themed land, it has the look of an outlet mall, gone bad.
    Harsh, but a reality.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    In California, Main Street's problem is that instead of the Emporium having EVERYTHING you need to find on the way out, they always tell you "No we dont have it but go to Downtown Disney and check World of Disney."

Downtown Disney has replaced Main Street as the last ditch effort for your wallet. So I think the Original Main Street may go downhill fast as well.

What do you think they can do to stem the problem from getting worse?

^^^Complain. Loud and in written form. When things happen you feel are truly bad (like upkeep in Orlando) drop an email to a reporter or two.