Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

Question Is There Anything At MK better than DL

Hey guys,

I'm originally from So Cal, grew up near West Siiiiide Mickey and managed to work in the park when I was 18. I've never been to WDW and a lot of the posts I read in order to get a feel for the place are some what discouraging. I'm very anxious to see Epcot, DAK, and Studios. My worries come with the MK. Is there anything at the MK that is better or was done better than DL. I've read that most seem to like Splash more in FL than CA but from I have gathered that is about the only thing people like more. It just seems like MK pales in comparison. A near non existant Fantasyland, ToonTown Fair seems about as thought out as DCA, a space mtn although greater in size fell short even before DL's upgrade and not to mention a PoC that is half the size of DL's. I'm sure I'll have fun at the MK but am I going to be really disappointed? I enjoy all the rides, all the lands and all the magic. I hope to some day make it to all the parks around the globe. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect as to not become disappointed.
    When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

• Love!

I prefer the WDW castle. It's prettier, larger, and what I grew up with.

I also prefer the WDW resort-at-large to the combo of DL-DCA. I'll pick DL any day over MK, but Epcot et al dwarfs DCA in an embarassing way.

• In Technicolor!

Same-ride comparisons usually come up with DL on the winning side.

But, since MK still has some classics that DL doesn't (CoP, Country Bears, People Mover), maybe it all evens-out in the end...?

[Although nothing can make up for that horrid Stitch overlay! ]

Comparing same-attractions, Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh are generally considered better at the Magic Kingdom.

A few attractions are arguably considered to be equal, despite their differences... Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain. DL's new Space Mountain should make it the clear winner, though. Quite a few lesser rides are a toss up also. The castles are an endless source of debate, usually coming down to size vs. charm.

There are definitely some stinkers at the MK, such as the Tiki Room-Under New Management and Pirates of the Caribbean. But to be fair, Disneyland has the latest incarnation of the Pooh ride and an entire land that has been ugly and rotting for years until recently.

Both parks have a list of unique attractions that make both worth visiting. The MK has Mickey's Philharmagic and the Hall of Presidents, along with attractions now lost from DL: Country Bears and PeopleMover (TTA). DL has the Matterhorn and the Indiana Jones Adventure which are a huge plus, in addition to uniquely quaint attractions like the Storybookland Canal Boats, Casey Jr, and Alice in Wonderland.

The comparisons can go on and on, from theming to restaurants. For a great comparison of everything from food to shops to intangibles, read Ted Tamburo's article on MiceAge here:

http://www.miceage.com/guest/gu111904a.htm

• The one, the only...

WDW is wonderful!!

Quote Originally Posted by XterraceEmp
    Just trying to get an idea of what to expect as to not become disappointed.
    XterraceEmp, I wrote my feelings about what is better between the two Parks, the Magic Kingdom in Florida and Disneyland in So Cal. If you are going to WDW, being disappointed is not at all how you should fee! Being very familiar with Disneyland, going to MK is like going home. It seems familiar but different. While you will probably not be overwhelmed by MK since it is so much more like DL, there is so much more to WDW than MK. With all the other parks and hotels and restaurants to experience, it truly is the world, a Disney World. Feel fortunate that you got to go so often to DL. But going to WDW is wonderful! You will find that there is some much more to see that it will not matter that MK is so much like DL. You will just have to spend more time at Epcot, Disney Studios, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Typhoon Lagoon, etc... I think you get my drift.. :o
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

I personally prefer DL over the MK in every respect. Charm that is simply not found at the MK. Better versions or rides. More attractions than the MK. Prettier and better looking park. Reasons are many in my book to prefer DL over MK.

I can only remeber a bit of both parks I really want to go to WDW again someday (until last year I was in a Disney park drought not making it to ANY parks for several years)

I wouldn't worry about being dissapointed, enjoy what there is in the other parks you'll probably be suprised and have a great time and then check out the MK because sometimes it's fun to experience the familiar yet slightly different

people compare all the time but maybe it's because it's fun?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by XterraceEmp
    Is there anything at the MK that is better or was done better than DL.
    I am assuming that you mean WDW?

IMO Here is a list of things that makes WDW has better then DL.

Space Mountain®
    Splash Mountain®
    "it's a small world"
    Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
    Cinderella's Golden Carousel
    Country Bear Jamboree
    Donald's Boat
    Dumbo The Flying Elephant
    Mickey's Country House
    Mickey's PhilharMagic
    Minnie's Country House
    Peter Pan's Flight
    The Enchanted Tiki Room
    The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Tomorrowland® Transit Authority
    Astro Orbiter
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Mad Tea Party
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Snow White's Scary Adventures
    Stitch's Great Escape!™
    The Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm
    Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway
    Cinderella Castle
    Jungle Cruise
    Liberty Square Riverboat
    Main Street Vehicles
    Swiss Family Treehouse
    The Hall Of Presidents
    The Haunted Mansion
    The Timekeeper
    Tom Sawyer Island
    Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
    Walt Disney World® Railroad

EPCOT
    Animal Kingdom

In short. Everything

I like WDW better then DL.

• Disney Memory Maker

There are many things I think are better in MK than DL including The Tiki Room (Yes, I like the new version better), Castle, Splash Mountain, The Train Station, TTA, Main Street as a whole, Astro Orbiter (looks better elevated), Winnie the Pooh, the look of Space Mountain, the area around Magic Carpets, the theming in general, HoP, CoP, Philharmagic, Timekeeper & Spectromagic.

There are some things that MK is understandably lacking in. Toontown was originally a temporary land called Birthdayland, Pirates was not finished in honor of Walt& Small World is built the best it can considering Orlando rain.

Then there are some DL attractions that are located elsewhere on WDW property like Star Tours, Fantasmic (which I love WDW's version better), Innoventions (which is much better in Epcot), HIStA, and Monorail.

In the end, I think most people love the park they went to first better. If you live in SoCal, you'll probably like DL better. If you live on the east coast, you'll probably like MK better.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    There are many things I think are better in MK than DL including The Tiki Room (Yes, I like the new version better), Castle, Splash Mountain, The Train Station, TTA, Main Street as a whole, Astro Orbiter (looks better elevated), Winnie the Pooh, the look of Space Mountain, the area around Magic Carpets, the theming in general, HoP, CoP, Philharmagic, Timekeeper & Spectromagic.

There are some things that MK is understandably lacking in. Toontown was originally a temporary land called Birthdayland, Pirates was not finished in honor of Walt& Small World is built the best it can considering Orlando rain.

Then there are some DL attractions that are located elsewhere on WDW property like Star Tours, Fantasmic (which I love WDW's version better), Innoventions (which is much better in Epcot), HIStA, and Monorail.

In the end, I think most people love the park they went to first better. If you live in SoCal, you'll probably like DL better. If you live on the east coast, you'll probably like MK better.

-Michael

The only thing BETTER at DISNEYWORLD is their Tomorrowland is not falling apart, but in a couple of years that will change.

It's FUN and REFRESHING to walk around a place that is Disneyland done again... to see what they messed up the first time, and could improve upon the second time.

But with all the Magic Kingdoms going up in Japan France and China, I think the company has sort of let WDW MK stagnate a bit. It is like the bare bones MK now, without the European village Fantasyland or any of the other major upgrades that we've seen. WDW is more concerned with boosting their other parks since MK pretty much is built on a solid concept and works.

Is MK the best MK it could be? Nope. If they ran it like OLC does Japan, it would get a DL Paris overlay of Fantasyland including Storybookland and Alice in Wonderland. It would get a Roger Rabbit ride and a full Toon Town. It would get a new Space Mountain overlay and a new Tomorrowland in 06.

However, for what it is, it's not a bad park. Enjoy that it's stuck in the 70s to some extent: PeopleMover Carousel of Progress Timekeeper Country bears and those sort of attractions are still going -- for now anyways.

I actually agree with most of what you're saying, askmike1, expect the Tki Room being better "Under New Management." You're entiteled to your opinion, but wow, I think that show is just about the biggest mess in any Disney theme park any where in the world.

I also would direct your attention to Paris, where it rains as much as Florida (and the rain is COLD and it snows) but their small world looks great, thanks to Tony Baxter.

This statement however is a little odd...

Pirates was not finished in honor of Walt
    Considering pirates is smaller in Florida because of budget cuts made by Card Walker. Marc Davis was forced to make cuts (he didn't want to) and he chose to cut Claude Coats' mysterious cave scenes from the beginning of the attraction in favor of the more character driven portions he (Marc) designed. There was quite a big rivalry between Marc (more characters) and Claude (more atmosphere) that Walt often had to settle. With Walt gone, and Marc in charge of the WDW Pirates, and the budget tight due to lower attendance resulting from a gas shortage, the atmosphere scenes got cut.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Thank you, that is why I quoted Ask Mike, I meant to say PIRATES wasn't left unfinished in honor of WALT.

Walt wouldnt have wanted guest show to suffer in tribute to him.

If anything, in honor of Walt they should have filled all the utiladors with Pirates show scenes and made the ride 2 hours long and run all under the park. Just kidding.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    I also would direct your attention to Paris, where it rains as much as Florida (and the rain is COLD and it snows) but their small world looks great, thanks to Tony Baxter.
    It does look nice, but to me (looking at pictures of it) it just looks like a 3D version of WDW's old facade. Personally, I like WDW's new opening better because a) it is an actual facade and copies DL's and b) it is inside allowing the light to be the same in both day and night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    Considering pirates is smaller in Florida because of budget cuts made by Card Walker...
    I could be wrong, but I was going by what they say on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. They said that Walt died in the middile of PotC being built. They finished the room they were working on and ended it here. I know this is probably not the real reason, but this is what I was going by.

Considering MK is the most visited park in the world (yes, even more visited than TDL), with over 12m a year, I think MK is doing something good that people love to visit every year.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    I could be wrong, but I was going by what they say on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. They said that Walt died in the middile of PotC being built. They finished the room they were working on and ended it here. I know this is probably not the real reason, but this is what I was going by.

Considering MK is the most visited park in the world (yes, even more visited than TDL), with over 12m a year, I think MK is doing something good that people love to visit every year.

-Michael
    That's just Disney SPIN I wish they wouldn't lie to the guests like that.

Magic Kingdom has ONE THING GOING FOR IT - the Walt Disney Resort all around it. That is why the park does not have to be the best Magic Kingdom out there, in fact it's probably the worst.

I've been to Disneyland, WDW MK, DL Paris but not Tokyo or Hong Kong yet.

And it's fun but it's not as well themed as Disneyland or DL Paris. Its like a 70s version of Disneyland with more landscaping and elbow room. Its fun for what it is. But the reason it's the top draw is it's the main DISNEY park at the main DISNEY resort. Everyone stops there when they go to FL but everyone picks FL not for Magic Kingdom but for the whole offering that you get at Disney World.

Anaheim's two parks are surrounded by seedy motels and residential suburbs of Los Angeles... Orlando's parks are in the woods out in the Florida sunshine, more of a destination resort than Anaheim will ever be able to offer even with a third theme park here.

• Official Mice Chat person

DL has so much more charm than WDW... and more history to it. But WDW has much more space, which is an Imagineers dream! So much space is awsome... the Imagineers can basicly do anything in WDW. But that's what makes DL more special... They fit more rides into a smaller space... they fit more magic into a smaller space, and that takes tallent!

I don't think either park is better than the other.. Don't be disapointed of MK. Both parks are made by the same company!! There's no competition between the two.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast