• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

So has anyone stayed at the hotels on Hotel Plaza Drive?

Just curious. I know many people here stay on property and stay at the All-Star, Pop, Polynesian, Port Orleans, etc resorts. Those are out of my budget for the most part. But what about the hotels on Hotel Plaza Drive by Downtown Disney? Who's stayed there?

I've stayed at the Grosvenor and the Hilton... 6 years ago. I liked both hotels but was slightly disappointed with the Hilton. The room was nice but seemed too small and dark. Then again it was New Year's Eve and we had 6 or 7 people crammed into the room for a few hours after the party at Pleasure Island was done at 2am.

The Grosvenor I did like quite a bit. I actually got a good deal for there online for my overnight stay in 4 weeks. I originally was going to go with the Best Western, but I decided to book my stay a week earlier than originally planned and the rate increased almost $30! Just for a week earlier? Go fig. I know hotel rates can change often but...

So... where have you stayed and did you like it?
    Last edited by aimster; 07-17-2006 at 06:31 PM.

• In Technicolor!

Re: So has anyone stayed at the hotels on Hotel Plaza Drive?

While it's not on Hotel Plaza Blvd, we've stayed at the Homewood Suites on Palm Parkway (just a quarter-mile down Apopka Vineland Rd. from Hotel Plaza Blvd). It's still a fairly new Homewood, and they do a pretty good job, even with the large crowds they get.
    These are the games that never end.

• Monorail Racer

I stayed once at the Royal Plaza many, many years ago. We had a lot of fun there, but it was a LONG time ago and there weren't near as many WDW resort choices as there are now.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

In the Summer of '04 I was WDW for a week and spent half of my stay at the Hotel Royal Plaza, and the last three days at the Wyndham (now Buena Vista) Palace.

The Royal Plaza was a conventional hotel and is nothing special to write about. The room was a nice size and bed quite comfortable, but the entire place had a "medicinal" smell about it and no charm. Very much like staying at any hotel anywhere. The bathroom did feature an oversized tub with jacuzzi jets. That was nice surprise.

The Wyndham was an entirely different story. Luxurious accommodations all the way. I don't know what services are provided in room now that it has changed hands, but the beds were pillow-top mattresses, the linens of a high thread count, and featured down duvets.

The rooms are also quite large, and my balcony overlooked the hotel's pool and Downtown Disney. If I craned my neck, I could see Epcot.

High-speed internet access was also included in the price of the room.

I've not stayed at a Hotel Blvd hotel since. I prefer to stay at the Disney Resorts for the immersion aspect, but I will grant that the Wyndham offered more service and comfort than some of the deluxe Disney Resorts for a less expensive price.

• In Mouse We trust

We stayed at the Travelodge at Kissimmee once, I think it was only $36 a night (It was also off season). It was a decent low frills stay. The bed-sheets appeared to be clean and the room didn't stink and it was pretty close to the main highway into WDW.

• Self Congratulative

There are some cottages outside of the property on the magic drive which I stayed at some forever ago. They were awesome.

I stayed at the Wyndham in 2002, and got a great deal on Priceline. I think $70 a night. However, the travel industry was different then and I wouldn't expect to get it again. We loved it. It had a great view, but we had a king bed room which was kind of small.

A friend of mine's parents stayed the Royal Plaza in 1996 when I was on CP, and they hated it. But, that was 10 years ago.

I stayed at the Wyndham in 2002, and got a great deal on Priceline. I think $70 a night. However, the travel industry was different then and I wouldn't expect to get it again. We loved it. It had a great view, but we had a king bed room which was kind of small.

A friend of mine's parents stayed the Royal Plaza in 1996 when I was on CP, and they hated it. But, that was 10 years ago.

I've stayed at all the hotels there except the Doubletree over the years. They're all good choices depending on money. The Buena Vista Palace is by far the nicest of them all. I spent two weeks there a few years ago on a Priceline ressie for $33 a night (yes, you read that correctly) and have stayed many times ... it is -- room wise -- as high end as most of the Disney deluxes.

The best deal going right now is the Hilton if you can get it on PL.com. Its price-point is $60 a night. They don't have a resort fee (unless it's new) and they are the only Hotel Plaza property that is allowed to participate in the EMH's at Disney parks. And you can walk right across to DD to get a bus to any of the Disney resorts for dining.

• I am in Orlando

I have stayed at three of them, The Best Western, Hilton, Buena Vista Palace.

Well I liked all three of them and all of them I booked on Hotwire or Priceline though. Hilton for like 70, Best Western for 45 and the Palace for 75 or so. They are all very nice the bigger rooms are at the Best Western (resort fee). The LBVP the last time I stayed there in 04 I booked on hotwire for 70 then up graded to a suite that was two stories on a outer building with a roof deck over looking the pool for a other $90 a night. Then the Hilton is nice and closest to Downtown Disney, the food there is good too. But they are all over priced food but nice Flordia rooms.+

We have stayed at the Buena Vista Palace for our honeymoon in 1985. We stayed at Hotel Royal Plaza in 2004, Both hotels were nice but there is nothing like staying on property. At the time(1985) the only hotels doing honeymoon packages were hotel plazas hotel. We had a great view of Epcot and swam in the pool in the wee hours of the morning. We stayed at the Royal Plaza for only $69 per nite in July. The bed was comfy and the jacuzzi tub was nice. We bought more DVC points after that though so we now just stay at WL,BW or BC.

The royal plaza has only been open for a couple of months after being closed for almost 2 yrs. They had hurricane damage and decided to completely renovate the hotel.
    "Captain Bill"

• Banned User

the grosvenor was sold recently and will be redone according to the orlando paper. I stayed at the doubletree when we couldn't get a room on site once. IT was ok, they have complementary service to the parks but they park at the TTC and you have to wait in their slot for the bus. this was a few months after the big hurricane season and I think a couple of the disney hotels had rooms shuttered. otherwise i would have stayed on property. for the money I just like it better.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah I heard about the Grosvenor getting a multi-million overhaul this fall. It was nice when I stayed there in 2000. I know the hotel is probably showing its age a bit but I'm sure it'll be abpuit as nice as I remember. Will definitely be better than the Comfort Inn I stayed at in May!

• Married and happy again!!

We have stayed at both the Grosvenor and the Wyndham several times. Along with a Holidays Inn (atleast I think it was a Holidays Inn) anyway that was back near Goodings supermarket. We had good times at thoughs places but we just love to stay on property now (I hated renting a car anyways) I love to just use Disney transportation I hated trying to find the car after a long day at the park and then the drive back to the hotel. Plus if I have drank at the park or PI (don't always do it but sometimes at Epcot I have played drink your way around World Showcase with friends especialy during Food and Wine Festival, I miss thoughs days sometimes, darn it becoming responsible in my old age )and I am glad to have them do the driving. I also love to use the Magic Express now too so I doubt I'll ever return to non Disney hotels.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!